Para 2 in a lower priced steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Para 2 in a lower priced steel?

Post by Donut »

So, someone mentioned in the M4 Para 2 thread that they'd like to see a 440C Para 2.

Okay, 440C sounds good, but so does Carpenter's BD-1.

I imagine there is a number of people who don't want to bite on the $100, super steel, S30V, Para 2. I think it is such a well balanced knife that people should get to try it out for a lower price point. I think if Spyderco could put a Para 2 in the $70 price range, I would expect them to move a lot of units! (I don't know if Golden could handle a lot higher production. A steel that is easier to grind wouldn't hurt!)

For the people on this forum, would you want to get a "beater" or user Para 2 with 440C or BD-1? Which would you prefer?

Also, I'd like to get a rough estimate of how much everyone (Sal maybe!) thinks the cost would be for either of these models. Would we be looking at $10 cheaper or $20 or $30 cheaper?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Something like N690 would be perfect for keeping the cost down and it performs very well, in the same league as VG-10. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

In the amount of use I've gotten out of my N690 Squeak, I would say it's in the ballpark of S30V. I think that producing the Para in Italy would raise the cost.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Ankerson wrote:Something like N690 would be perfect for keeping the cost down and it performs very well, in the same league as VG-10. :)
+1 . . . **** YES!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Donut wrote:In the amount of use I've gotten out of my N690 Squeak, I would say it's in the ballpark of S30V. I think that producing the Para in Italy would raise the cost.
N690 is avaiable here. ;)
cckw

Post by cckw »

I wouldn't bother buying a para in a cheaper steel. As a matter of fact I would be offended by it.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Ankerson wrote:N690 is avaiable here. ;)
well hup ****, that would be cool
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I can imagine some people wanting it but it's not for me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Would it really drop a reduced-margin model like the Para2 by $25? How about something even cheaper like 1095 or doing a hollow or chisel grind?

I'm not made of money but $100 for a g10 s30v knife is a bargain. The Native frn is what, $55? The Manix2 is about the price range you are talking about. They are talking of doing s30v for the same price (HG).
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

I would not be interested in a lower-quality steel Para2. Golden can just keep up with demand for the current Para2's, so why mess with a good thing? Certain types even have long back-lists at the popular sites (the DLC types). For the price, the S30V version is already a bargain. Heck. the M390 is a bargain too! (IMHO) :spyder:
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Not interested at all. My M390 Para 2 will handle any and all hard use that a low-end steel Para 2 could, and I'm not afraid to make mine do those rough jobs!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I think if you were to put in a lower price steel, then that would ruin the Para 2's concept of being an awesome knife for size, quality, toughness, etc. and the cheap ones probably would sell but would only hinder their reputation. Actually, I would hope they wouldnt sell unless they called them something different like Para 3's so not confusing them with the real deals.

I wouldnt buy one cause I already have one that I know is very good and the steel wont let me down!
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

naa, I'd just buy a Tenacious, if I wanted something like that.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I think it's a GREAT idea!
After being in California for the last 2 weeks with family, my uncle and cousin fell in love my para2. And for their hospitality, I would like to gift each of them one..
But, with everything else I have going on, two new para2s is a hard boat to float.. But I'll do it..somehow.
If there was a different/less expensive steel option, though, it would make matters easier on me. :D
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
jossta

Post by jossta »

I think releasing a Para 2 that's $25 cheaper would just cannibalize Manix 2 and S30v Para2 sales.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

What if the Para 2 budget version was similar to the FRCP Manix 2? Budget steel and a lighter weight G-10 only side. Thoughts? Personally I can't stop wishing for an N690 version of the P2, even at the same price point as the S30V.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ankerson wrote:Something like N690 would be perfect for keeping the cost down and it performs very well, in the same league as VG-10. :)
Just wondering how much less expensive this knife would be?
You can buy Para2 around $100. IMHO this is a bargain, considering what are you getting and prices for most of the new knives either made by Spyderco or competition.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't have a dog in this fight, since the Para 2 is not a knife I'd ever buy regardess of price or steel. However, given Sal's comment that they can do a Manix 2 in S30V for the same price as the 154CM simply because they have so much experience working with S30V, I have to wonder if there would be any cost saving to be had by switching to a lower priced steel. He has also mentioned that Spyderco has been experimenting with a lower than normal profit margin on the base model Manix 2, so assumptions based on comparing its price with that of another model are likely to be incorrect.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I can imagine some people wanting it but it's not for me.
This! I want the M4 version.

Ken
玉鋼