Let's say I cut 2 apples every day for the next year....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ravana

Let's say I cut 2 apples every day for the next year....

Post by Ravana »

Let's say I cut 2 apples every day for the next year and let it hang out for a bit before cleaning the blade.

Will my VG-10 patina then? :-(

Read a previous post of a guy sticking his knife in vinegar for hours and nothing, but even going a slow and more natural approach will I probably find nothing but a shiny blade?

Anyone have a VG-10 knife with a patina?

Thanks,
Rav
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Ravana wrote:Let's say I cut 2 apples every day for the next year and let it hang out for a bit before cleaning the blade.

Will my VG-10 patina then? :-(

I think not. I think you need a more serious corrosive to patina VG-10.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

you would not get patina, vg10 is VERY rust resistant
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Ive been carrying a Delica with G-2, AUS-8/8A, ATS-55 & VG-10 for the last 18 years and havent had one blade rust on me. The only blades ive seen with rusted spots are the ones ive received in the mail from ebay.

I dont know how & what you do to get rust on your blade?

I never sharpened and I never oiled a blade...... still to this day I have never had one of my Delicas rust on me?
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

VG-10 is good stuff that way :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'm no expert but I don't think stainless steels will patina. If left completely unattended to they will rust (which is bad). My understanding is patina is a different type of corrosion than rust. Patina in apperance can be attractive and also prevents worse corrosion (rust). I put a patina on my two M4 blades because I was concerned about it rusting, mainly inside the pivot where you can't see. CPM-M4 is a non-stainless steel. I found mustard and potato juice to work ok on my blades. I had a real problem though because I had used Tuf-Glide on the blades when I first got them. After a few months without reapplying Tuf-Glide the patina formed. Let me (us) know if you find a way to patina stainless steel blades.

Jack
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

You can't put a patina on a VG-10 blade but you can corrode it or perhaps flame it to get an odd color. My personal feel is that you should not do any such thing to a VG-10 blade. Instead, get a blade with a steel that will take on a patina (I.e Super Blue).
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

You could probably put it in etching fluid to change the color visit your local radio shack people have done this with 154cm. Not sure How good it would look though
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

What's with this new 'craze' over patina? Maybe I'm the weirdo, but I just don't care for how it looks.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

enduraguy wrote:What's with this new 'craze' over patina? Maybe I'm the weirdo, but I just don't care for how it looks.
Shows signs of a hard used knife...IDK either. When I see some of the pics posted, it looks like a well aged knife. Doesn't bother me. I do not keep up on my knives like I should, so i will probably be part of the patina club one day
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
bh49

Post by bh49 »

If you want patina on VG10 start slicing lemons and limes, do not clean the blade for couple hours. You will have patina in no time. It was proved by my sister-in-law after I gave her Yang. It got some patina after 1 lemon application. :)
Still remember taste of Margaritas :D :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This is what VG-10 looks like after 3 minutes in Ferric Chloride.
The natural lines of the steel are brought out as seen in this picture
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Question is why you would like to corrode a good blade? It can only go down hill from there.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I wouldn't do it to my VG-10 blades but it looks like it produced the approximate equivalent of a stone washed finish.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

mongatu wrote:I wouldn't do it to my VG-10 blades but it looks like it produced the approximate equivalent of a stone washed finish.
I stonewashed it after the ferric bath. The blade now has a finish that is more useable to me because you don't have to worry about scratches. I have plenty of highly polished and satin finished VG-10 Delicas. I wanted this one to be different.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Anonymous wrote:That makes about as much sense to me as buying jeans that are already worn out and/or have holes in them...
Last time when I was in department store I saw quite a few jeans with hole in them. BTW, they were more expensive. Probably this is matter of taste.
KardinalSyn wrote:Question is why you would like to corrode a good blade? It can only go down hill from there.
I do not think that we are talking about corrosion (Fe3O4), we are talking about oxidation (Fe2O3).
On carbon steels oxidation actually will protect from corrosion.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
cckw

Post by cckw »

I have experience on this subject: Local apple orchards do the pick your own thing. We like to do that with the little nephew. with each variety I cut one up to decide what we like & want. (Johnagold is our favorite, btw) 1st year D-fly VG-10, sliced several apples only wiped the blade on clothing. next day or two when I did clean it was surprised by the stains. these were very slight, but definitely stains that you see if you look. Since then have made it a point to wipe it more thoroughly and use hand sanitizer on it (cuz I always have some in the car) so no new ones since. not complaining about the stains, just want to clear that VG-10 is not kryponite. Will also say that staining on purpose is totally lost on me. I don't carry super blue or etc because I think they look damaged rather then cool with patina
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I grew up with carbon steel knives in the kitchen and what I liked least about the patina was the nasty smell they developed when interacting with food. Good cutlery stainless feels so much cleaner and more sanitary, and does not have that strong odor when used on food. It is also easier to tell when a stainless knife is dirty just by looking at it, versus patinated steel that always looks dirty.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

bh49 wrote:Last time when I was in department store I saw quite a few jeans with hole in them. BTW, they were more expensive. Probably this is matter of taste.

I do not think that we are talking about corrosion (Fe3O4), we are talking about oxidation (Fe2O3).
On carbon steels oxidation actually will protect from corrosion.
Thats because we have to pay the additional amount to the people that wore them out :p

On a serious note, I do not know why people would buy pre-ruined jeans, especially at a premium.

as for patina; I do not currently have any knives with it and I do not know much about it. I do like browsing the patina threads though. good way to learn new things
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point