Para 2 S30v vs Para 2 sprint in CTS-XHP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vicinadp

Para 2 S30v vs Para 2 sprint in CTS-XHP

Post by Vicinadp »

I just bought a para 2 a few weeks back and I love it. So when CS came out with a sprint run Para 2 for $117 I couldnt resist. Love the para 2 new favorite knife. I was just wondering about CTS-XHP I dont know much about it. What does it compare to? And how does it compare to S30v?
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

It should hold its edge longer than s30v, and it doesnt quickly lose the razor edge like s30v , it holds the razor edge for a long long time. You will enjoy the steel a lot :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Depends who you ask. Spyderco refers to it as a stainless equivalent to CPM-D2 tool steel. Others see it among ZDP-189 and yet still others believe it can cut the fabric of eternity without dulling. :)

It's good stuff. At the least on par and best-case able to sharpen easier and hold a better edge.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I'll be happy if it is more on the CPMD2 side than ZDP. The CPMD2 Para has been one of the best knives I've owned. That stuff is tough and gets a helluva edge. I haven't even had any corrosion problems after a few years.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I was just referring to wear resistance with the zdp.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I love this steel. I think the stainless D2 analogy is appropriate, at least in my experience. Well, now that I think of it, , I'd say I can get the XHP a little sharper than D2, but maybe that's my imagination. Either way, it's a sweet steel.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

XHP has very good edge retention.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Hey all,

I am fairly new to Para 2's and looking at the XHP steel one. Can anyone tell me what would be a good price in which I can pick one up? Or should I skip it and go after the s35vn steel one?

Thanks!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

sir_mike wrote:Hey all,

I am fairly new to Para 2's and looking at the XHP steel one. Can anyone tell me what would be a good price in which I can pick one up? Or should I skip it and go after the s35vn steel one?

Thanks!
The XHP Para 2 was a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive and sold out in 12 days. The only other place to get it will probably be the secondary market (bladeforums, ebay, etc.). Prices will likely be inflated, so you are much better off getting the green CTS-204P Knife Works exclusive. The upcoming brown S35VN sprint seems a bit high priced for essentially a scale color change and an almost identical performing steel (compared to the normal S30V version), and I think the almost certain superiority of 204P over S35VN is more than worth the extra few bucks. The Knifeworks exclusive will also likely cost less than trying to get the sold out XHP version on the secondary market. Better act fast, however, as the Knife Works exclusive will likely sell out in the next day or two.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

jabba359 wrote:The XHP Para 2 was a Cutlery Shoppe exclusive and sold out in 12 days. The only other place to get it will probably be the secondary market (bladeforums, ebay, etc.). Prices will likely be inflated, so you are much better off getting the green CTS-204P Knife Works exclusive. The upcoming brown S35VN sprint seems a bit high priced for essentially a scale color change and an almost identical performing steel (compared to the normal S30V version), and I think the almost certain superiority of 204P over S35VN is more than worth the extra few bucks. The Knifeworks exclusive will also likely cost less than trying to get the sold out XHP version on the secondary market. Better act fast, however, as the Knife Works exclusive will likely sell out in the next day or two.
Thanks for the info. I already ordered one of the 204P ones but might go back and order a 2nd. I am also thinking about the M390, which I see you have. Do you like it? Is it a user or collector knife?

Just had to ask!! :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

sir_mike wrote:Thanks for the info. I already ordered one of the 204P ones but might go back and order a 2nd. I am also thinking about the M390, which I see you have. Do you like it? Is it a user or collector knife?

Just had to ask!! :)
It's in my pocket right now and hardly ever leaves, except to cut stuff! I really like it and it fits my hand extremely well. Here's a little mini-review I did: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post739898

If you don't have a burning need for blue handles, I'd stick with the 204P version. The steel should be practically identical and the green one is about $40 cheaper. If the 204P version had been announced earlier (before I had paid my non-refundable deposit on the blue M390 version), then I probably wouldn't have picked up the blue one, even though I think it was worth the money. The green one is pretty much the same knife and steel, but significantly cheaper.
-Kyle

mongatu

Post by mongatu »

For me, the M390 Para 2 is the best yet, (not referring to the scale color, just the blade steel). Since the Knifeworks 204P is supposed to be a clone of M390, it should be equally good and a better value.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

jabba359 wrote:It's in my pocket right now and hardly ever leaves, except to cut stuff! I really like it and it fits my hand extremely well. Here's a little mini-review I did: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post739898

If you don't have a burning need for blue handles, I'd stick with the 204P version. The steel should be practically identical and the green one is about $40 cheaper. If the 204P version had been announced earlier (before I had paid my non-refundable deposit on the blue M390 version), then I probably wouldn't have picked up the blue one, even though I think it was worth the money. The green one is pretty much the same knife and steel, but significantly cheaper.
I checked that out and thanks for the info again! I think I will get two of the 204P's.

Do you think the s35vn brown one for about $124 shipped is over priced? The 204P's are gonna run $146 each with shipping!!

Is the measely $22 less make it worth getting one of the s35vn too or do you think for $22 more get the 204P?

I am also thinking of getting the current s30v one just to play with but they are $100 so here I go again....thinking for only $24 more I can get the s35vn one! Please help me! LOL
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

sir_mike wrote:Do you think the s35vn brown one for about $124 shipped is over priced? The 204P's are gonna run $146 each with shipping!!

Is the measely $22 less make it worth getting one of the s35vn too or do you think for $22 more get the 204P?

I am also thinking of getting the current s30v one just to play with but they are $100 so here I go again....thinking for only $24 more I can get the s35vn one! Please help me! LOL
While you found the brown S35VN Para 2 for that price at one place (which I've never heard of and nobody seems to have any experience purchasing from), most of the usual dealers (KnifeCenter, BladeHQ) are selling the brown S35VN Para 2 for $135-140, which puts it within a couple dollars of the superior 204P version. I'm not saying that the cheap seller is a scam or anything, but I'd at least be somewhat cautious when dealing with them.

As for S30V vs S35VN, both steels perform virtually identically, so if you find it worth an extra $24 for brown scales, then I'd get it. If the scale color isn't a selling factor, then the cheaper S30V version will save you some money and will perform equally as well.
-Kyle

sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

It is nice to get feedback from people on these forums that have more experience with the different steels and models. I have never bought anything from this cheaper site so that is why I havent pulled the trigger yet and have my doubts and if the steels are that different, maybe I can hold off til I find someone or some place selling the orange Para 2 as I would really like to have one of those. I guess I would like to have a blue one too if it was cheaper!

I will just go with the two green ones and impatiently wait for an orange one to come up and maybe a blue one too someday!
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

sir_mike wrote:I checked that out and thanks for the info again! I think I will get two of the 204P's.

Do you think the s35vn brown one for about $124 shipped is over priced? The 204P's are gonna run $146 each with shipping!!

where did you find it at this price? I think I know wher, but not sure. If its the place I think it is, they are legit. The place I am thinking of is goingsharp
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point