How about a big Fixed blade Byrd...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
psimonl

How about a big Fixed blade Byrd...

Post by psimonl »

I think the name says it all....

I love the Temp2 design, but at +200$ and the Hossom at same price range, I would like a nice big log cutter in the 50-75$ price point...

SOOOooo, what do you think?

SImon

Edited for:

GO see Ookami's Byrd Toucan on page 2 and tell us what you think...

That is exactly what I had in mind...

Thanks Ookami
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
vic

Post by vic »

i think yes that would be good

the sog fusion bowie and dagger fixed blades use 8cr13mov
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

Byrd fixed blades would be great =)
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

put me down for a Streetbyrd.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would love to see a Bushcraft Byrd. A fixed Byrd seems like a great idea.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Post by 224477 »

I think we are missing any fixed byrd at the moment..
8Cr13MoV + G10 offer quite a good value.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Wow. Great idea!
I actually don't know why Spyderco haven't made one yet. It'd be a great, affordable fixed blade. I'd get at least 3. Darn, make it in all shapes and sizes, I'll get 3 of EACH! :p
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I think it sounds like a good idea. Honestly 98% of my cutting can be taken care of with folders so I usually cant justify the $$ for some of the fixed blades, but a byrd fb would be another story.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
JaM

Post by JaM »

I'm down for one. Something not too large, preferably.

Something like those "Applegate" daggers boker has, or maybe something more "outdoorish".... hmmm... :)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

When Zappa was faced with lots of bootlegs of Mothers' performances, he remastered the bootlegs and issued better versions himself.

Why not have Byrd reissue the Spot at a price that kills the Chinese copy competition? Perhaps other retired designs that the Chinese are copying like the original Lil' Temp, could be put into production by Byrd. Make some money and hurt their business.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Sequimite wrote:When Zappa was faced with lots of bootlegs of Mothers' performances, he remastered the bootlegs and issued better versions himself.

Why not have Byrd reissue the Spot at a price that kills the Chinese copy competition? Perhaps other retired designs that the Chinese are copying like the original Lil' Temp, could be put into production by Byrd. Make some money and hurt their business.
How about a Byrd version of the original Temperance?!?!?!?

It won't kill the original version, tools are already made... Is this a good idea?!?!?

Simon

The Spyderco Cookbook
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

it would be AWESOME to have a big byrd fixed blade. call it the whyda... after the african bird... and because "whyda heck didn't we think of this earlier??!??!" :D :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

araneae wrote:I would love to see a Bushcraft Byrd. A fixed Byrd seems like a great idea.
Now your talking. I've been experimenting with a couple Frost Moras the past several months, and just that alone has brought my sharpening skills to another level.

I would like to see an inexpensive scandi grind from Spyderco, and a byrd in G10 scales with a full tang would be just the ticket. It probably wouldn't sharpen as easily as one of the Moras, but it would be an excellent alternative, not to mention a happy median between the Buscraft knife, and the Moras.
224477 wrote:I think we are missing any fixed byrd at the moment..
8Cr13MoV + G10 offer quite a good value.
Hello my friend. You have an excellent idea there. A simple bushcraft knife would be awesome in G10 scales and a full tang. I like the Scandi grind for ease of sharpening, but even a FFG would be awesome on a larger (+4") fixed blade.

I'm sure they'd come up with something both unique (as the byrds tend to be) and useful to create a demand.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Wow... I see this is getting some serious idea...

I don't want to make this thread my own.... But how about some blade shape suggestions.....

As for me, I like the curve-in shape... Like when you cut something, you can make a pull draw to cut... Not a hawk, but something like an "S" shape.

Simon

The Spyderco Cookbook
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

psimonl wrote:Wow... I see this is getting some serious idea...

I don't want to make this thread my own.... But how about some blade shape suggestions.....

As for me, I like the curve-in shape... Like when you cut something, you can make a pull draw to cut... Not a hawk, but something like an "S" shape.

Simon
Would that be "S", as in, Sivilian ;) ? Kinda sounds like it.

I think the aggressive design of such blade styles is great (probably why I've been EDC'ing a Crossbill in lieu of some of my higher end knives for the past four years), maybe even a recurve. However, I find that I tend to avoid such type of blades in my fixed blade knives. In a FB I want something that I can sharpen just about anywhere, and a curvy blade is going to require more specialized gear to do that (as far as I know).

Don't get me wrong. A "S" (or reverse "S") shaped FB would be cool, I just don't know if it would be practical for me to the point where I'd get one. In a folder maybe, but I just don't know about a FB. Now, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to give it a try.

I suppose the reason for this is that they only time I sport a FB is when I'm out in the woods, and that usually means cleaning game. I just don't know how that would work out with a "S" shaped blade. Then again, I wasn't sure about the hawkbill shape until :cool: I bought a Crossbill, so who knows... :D

As for blade shapes I'd like to see would be the typical Scandi style like the Bushcraft has, or maybe one of the clip styles of some of the Moras. Then again, it would probably be awesome in something like one of those Hossum style blades too.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

something like a byrd mora would be awesome. i'm a big fan of the mora knives... don't use mine very much, thanks to the awesomeness of the rock salt and aqua salt, but i've given them as gifts to people who need a good "starter" fixed blade. :D i'll sometimes throw a mora into my bag as a backup for hikes...

they're pretty much "all the fixed blade you ever need" for most things and most people... and they're not too spendy. there's definitely nothing like it in spyderco's/byrd's line-up... ... ...

... yet???
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
vic

Post by vic »

FFG blade, maybe like the catbyrd or tenacious, full tang, g-10 scales, maybe a nice swedge
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

ghostrider wrote:... it would probably be awesome in something like one of those Hossum style blades too.
That is what I meant.... THat the middle part of the blade has a downward part so we will be (note the positive thinking, here!!!) able to pull cut...

And still, the Temp or Tenacious shape would be fine also...

Take care,

Simon

The Spyderco Cookbook
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

psimonl wrote:That is what I meant.... THat the middle part of the blade has a downward part so we will be (note the positive thinking, here!!!) able to pull cut...

And still, the Temp or Tenacious shape would be fine also...

Take care,

Simon
Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't those recurve blades?
[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

A fixed byrd is a great idea.