Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Post by DougC-3 »

Not exactly crazy but $38.97 for a HAP40 Ladybug seems sort of cheap at KnivesPlus, but their free shipping doesn't kick in until you spend $89.97. https://www.knivesplus.com/spydercolady ... orp3e.html

I'm including the url from the email because, if you just go to knivesplus.com and search, it sometimes comes up at $41.97.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

If you buy the Dice from KnifeCenter they will give you a free Spyderco Rescue. "While supplies last", so not too sure how long that deal will last.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bh49 wrote:
bh49 wrote:Hungarian @ Amazon $142
$122 today :eek: :eek: :eek:
$118
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
IR192

Post by IR192 »

bh49 wrote:
bh49 wrote:
bh49 wrote:Hungarian @ Amazon $142
$122 today :eek: :eek: :eek:
$118
$116...
Recently Acquired: Hap40 Endura, Hap40 Stretch, Manix2 LW XHP, PM2 Cruwear, Farid K2, Kiwi4, LC200N Native, Large Lum Folder, Manix2 Cruwear.

In The Works: 204P Military, Nirvana, Slysz Bowie.
-Ed
williaty

Post by williaty »

That's Amazon's automated pricing algorithm at work. If something hasn't sold in a while, the computer slightly lowers the price and then waits. If it still doesn't sell, it lowers the price again and then waits. It repeats this until someone actually buys one, then it bumps the price back up a healthy margin to see if people will pay that before gradually starting the downwards march again.

What's even more fun is when Amazon's "gotta be lowest" program conflicts with a 3rd party vendor's "gotta be lowest" program. The two programs will lower the price one after the other again and again and, if you catch it before a human at Amazon does, you can end up paying pennies on the dollar for something.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Wish I had a program that would scan for those and get back to me.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

DougC-3 wrote:Wish I had a program that would scan for those and get back to me.
Camelcamelcamel.com :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

abbazaba wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:Wish I had a program that would scan for those and get back to me.
Camelcamelcamel.com :D
I've heard of that but never looked into it. I'll have to check it out.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

:rolleyes: Oh great. Now I have charts to encourage my bargain hunting! ;)

This is like the stock market. The Hungarian has bounced off support at the $116 level...probably because of this thread. Lol
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Not a smokin deal but National still has 52100 Military sprint for $209,

http://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco- ... bon-fiber/
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
jdw

Post by jdw »

farnorthdan wrote:Not a smokin deal but National still has 52100 Military sprint for $209,

How would you compare the 52100 with CruWear??
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

jdw wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Not a smokin deal but National still has 52100 Military sprint for $209,

How would you compare the 52100 with CruWear??
Cruwear is definitely more stainless but honestly these are my top two favorite steals(and SB), 52100 for me is easier to get a wicked sharp edge but doesn't last as long as Cruwear, about the same for ease of sharpening. :)
Last edited by farnorthdan on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
williaty

Post by williaty »

51200 will support lower edge angles leading to significantly better cutting performance. That's always the tradeoff between high-carbon and high-carbide steels: The high-carbon cuts better with less effort and less deformation of the thing you're cutting but you have to sharpen a bit more often. The high-carbide will not cut as well (because it has to be sharpened to higher angles) but it'll have mediocre cutting performance for a very long time if you can avoid chipping it.

With any of the high-carbide steels, I have never managed to keep from micro-chipping the edge long enough to actually make the edge go dull from use. So the "longer time between sharpening" thing doesn't work out for me in the real world. To me, the SIGNIFICANTLY better cutting performance of high-carbon steels like 51200 (due to being able to sharpen it to lower angles without the edge chipping) works out better in the real world because it doesn't actually increase how often I have to sharpen at all. This is in the context of every day pocket knives and fixed blades that actually get used to do normal things, not cutting lots of cardboard just for internet bragging rights.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

BladeHQ has the orange Spy-DK for $30 in stock right now. Free shipping on all orders through Friday and a free Spyderco playing dice (not the knife ;)) with any Spyderco ordered.

I didn't particularly need the Spy-DK, but wanted the dice so ordered one. I figure I can't go wrong at that price.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Well, the SpyDK are gone and it wont show the dice in my cart when I add a different knife. Is there a promo code? It says while supplies last.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Well, the SpyDK are gone and it wont show the dice in my cart when I add a different knife. Is there a promo code? It says while supplies last.
I just wrote into the additional instructions box to please include the dice.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Still Working

Post by Still Working »

I was going to try and do this too, but I think they must be gone. The banner that was there when I first looked disappeared. Those went fast!
s110v "Blurple" Knives: PM 2, Manix 2, Native 5
ZDP-189 Knives: BRG Dragonfly 2, BRG Stretch FRN, Brn G10 Stretch 2, BRG Ladybug,
BRG Manbug
VG-10 Knives: Gray Delica, Brown Endura, Foliage Green Endura combo blade,
Black FRN Stretch, Purple Delica, Black FRN serrated Stretch, Black FRN CE Stretch
H1 Knives: Dragonfly 2
Damascus DPS 15 VG-10 Knives: Titanium Damascus Delica
M4 Knives: Bradley Folder 2
Deep Carry Clips: Casey Lynch, 5 short, 4 long
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I was able to toggle through the banners to the one with the "playing dice," but no dice or spydies turned up when I clicked it, in case it was supposed to work that way (apparently not). Whatever... they have the black Spy-DK for 39.99 and the Kiwi 4 for 99.99.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

You guys may have already posted all these prices, but just in case, I think this page shows all of KW's marked down spydies, some very tempting:
http://www.bladehq.com/cat--On-Sale--15 ... esc/page:5