Chinook II compared to III---Interview with James Keating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zac

Chinook II compared to III---Interview with James Keating

Post by Zac »

The Chinook III is often referred to as the Chinook II Flat Grind. This is important as Jim (James Keating) and I refer to the Chinook II flat grind as the Chinook III. Currently, the Chinook III is only available in plain edged to my knowledge, and the II is still in the hollow grind. For that sake, I am presenting pictures of the Chinook I, Chinook II hollow grind (older) and Chinook II flat grind (newer AKA the Chinook III), all in plain edge.

Chinook I (the original in 440V Steel)

Chinook II (hollow grind)

Chinook III/Chinook II (flat grind)

James;
Hi, this is Zac Nickey. I have a few questions that a couple of Spyderco guys want to know, including myself. I thought it would be neat if I could post it on the SpyderCo Forums as information comming directly from yourself as well as pictures comparing my Chinook II alongside the Chinook III.

> 1) How does the Chinook II differ from the III in a nutshell?
IT'S LIGHTER, STRONGER and LESS COSMETICALLY BASED and now, MORE PERFORMANCE ORIENTED. MEANING IT'LL CUT BETTER, CARRY EASIER AND RE-SHARPEN FASTER DUE TO THE SLIGHT CHANGES WE'VE ADDED.

> 2) The Chinook was designed as an MBC knifepecefically for a move you do called the backcut, correct?
YES
TO SUPPORT THAT TECHNIQUE AND THE PRESSURES and ISSUES SURROUNDING THAT ACTION.

> 3) In brief, could you describe the backcut for people not familiar with the Chinook's modified bowie design?
THE BACKCUT IS AN INVERTED / RETICULATED TYPE OF STRIKE. IT ARCS OVER AND ADVERSARY VERSUS COMING STRAIGHT AT THEM. IT FOLLOWS THE SAME LOGIC AND DESIGN AS ALL ANIMAL CLAWS AND FANGS. IT IS ONE OF THE FASTEST MOVEMENTS THE HUMAN BODY CAN MAKE (think thumbs up to suddenly switching to thumbs down) ITS A RIPPING TEAR TYPE OF WOUND. THE LOCK IS STRONG TO SUPPORT THE INVERTED PRESSURES THIS ACTION INDUCES.

> 4) What made you choose CPM-S30V over other possible steels currently on the market?
SIMPLY SAID IT WAS PERFORMANCE - IMPERVIOUSNESS, DURABILITY AND THE IMPACT RESISTANT QUALITIES AN MBC KNIFE SHOULD POSSESS. MANY SUCH FINAL JUDGEMENTS ARE THE DOMAIN OF SPYDERCO STAFF AND NOT ITS COLLABORATORS.

> 5) Spyderco has been tinkering with two supersteels. The first is ZDP-189 and the newest is M4, yet to see production on a good knife. Crucible Materials is saying that the edge retention on M4 steel is beyond most people's imagination and that it has amazing properties. Given that the Chinook has led the way to the strongest locking folder available, is it possible we will be seeing a run (or limited run) of the Chinook in any of these supersteels?
VERY POSSIBLY WE MIGHT SEE A "TEST" RUN OF FEW CHINOOKS W/ SOME EXOTIC STEEL. I KNOW THAT FEW RUNS HAVE ALREADY BEEN MADE. NOT MANY UNITS, BUT TO SEE HOW THEY PERFORM ETC. FOR A KNIFEMAN, EDGE RETENTION IS FAR LESS OF A FACTOR THAN THE MORE CRITICAL "IMPACT RESISTANCE" ELEMENT.

> 6) What is up with Ken Onion and those Hawaiian shirts (a good friend of mine wanted me to ask you that)?
SINCE KEN LIVES IN THE ISLANDS AND HIS WIFE IS NATIVE TO THE ISLANDS, IT SORT OF FITS HE'D BE REAL "POSITIVE" ON THE PLACE AND ALL THAT GOES ALONG W/ IT (LIKE THE SHIRTS AND SUCH). IT'S LIKE SINCE I LIVE ON A RANCH, IN THE MOUNTAINS I WEAR COWBOY HATS AND CARHARTT JEANS, THEY FIT THE ENVIRONS. ps: Ken is a good friend and a great guy. The "real deal" is tuff to find these days and Ken Onion is the REAL DEAL for sure whether it be knifemaking or tactical application, Ken's there baby!
--End Interview--

I did a bit of cutting on unrelated things I typed in the email, but that is the important part of it.

Continue discussion.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I found the part about impact resistance over edge retention to be uplifting. If a person has a knife dedicated to SD only, edge retention would be of less import. :)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Hannibal Lecter

How True...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Zen,
zenheretic wrote:I found the part about impact resistance over edge retention to be uplifting. If a person has a knife dedicated to SD only, edge retention would be of less import. :)
You are right on the money; it is too easy to become a steel snob and forget factors other than edge retention. To be honest, I don't mind resharpening my blades. I really don't. If it will hold its edge long enough to get through a violent confrontation, that is, IMO, good enough for an SD knife.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the pics and great infos.
What's up with Ken (Onion) and those Hawaiian shirts, anyway? :confused: I'm afraid I lost the story :(
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Acutally, even for utility I prefer toughness over edge retention(but only barely). I'd much rather sharpen my knife for five minutes once a week, than have to get the diamond stones out and spend an hour just to sharpen out the chips in the blade.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
spydermdz

Post by spydermdz »

very interesting article fellas.
myspace

ATC

:spyder: meshmdz :spyder:
Zac

Post by Zac »

Okay...here are comparison pictures

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Zac, on the top down picture, is the flat ground on the left?
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Zac

Post by Zac »

zenheretic wrote:Zac, on the top down picture, is the flat ground on the left?
Yes sir it sure is :cool:
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

Is the chinookIII blade thinner than the II or is that just how the picture came out? :spyder:
if you find yourself in a fair fight, you did'nt prepare well enough. .." Hock Hochiem"..:spyder: " An object at rest cannot be stopped". The evil bomber what bombs at midnight. ;) :spyder: :spyder:
orthogonal1

Post by orthogonal1 »

The blade does look thinner.

Due to tapering?

Does this version handle binding material better (when cutting)?
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Good stuff, thanks. Not only is the blade thinner, it looks like it was slightly changed a bit. I've looked at the photo for a while and it may be an illusion between the hollow and flat grinds. Flat grind has a more pronounced tip.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

As far as shock resistance 3V would be a better choice than M4. I'd bet a beer that's the way they'ed go. Joe L.
Zac

Post by Zac »

greencobra wrote:Good stuff, thanks. Not only is the blade thinner, it looks like it was slightly changed a bit. I've looked at the photo for a while and it may be an illusion between the hollow and flat grinds. Flat grind has a more pronounced tip.
The blade is infact changed...Keating claims it to be easier to cut with and much easier to sharpen.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Great interview, Zac!

The new Chinook II looks thinner; that'll be a plus for most every type of use.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

Zac wrote: 3) In brief, could you describe the backcut for people not familiar with the Chinook's modified bowie design?
THE BACKCUT IS AN INVERTED / RETICULATED TYPE OF STRIKE. IT ARCS OVER AND ADVERSARY VERSUS COMING STRAIGHT AT THEM. IT FOLLOWS THE SAME LOGIC AND DESIGN AS ALL ANIMAL CLAWS AND FANGS. IT IS ONE OF THE FASTEST MOVEMENTS THE HUMAN BODY CAN MAKE (think thumbs up to suddenly switching to thumbs down) ITS A RIPPING TEAR TYPE OF WOUND. THE LOCK IS STRONG TO SUPPORT THE INVERTED PRESSURES THIS ACTION INDUCES.
:spyder: This motion sounds just like the Karate ridge-hand but with a knife.
No matter how much hoopla or hype any particular technique du jour gets on the internet it always boils down to the human anatomy where there's nothing new under the sun.

One often sees testimonials about the unstoppable devastating ability of the back cut. It makes me think of Mr. Miyagi speaking of the Crane stance; "when done correct, no can defend."

In a less comic book tone Steve Grody teaches "anything can be countered and anything can work." I think that's very powerful.

In no way construe this as a criticism of MAAJAK, I'm just talkin' about the way things get blown up on the internet. People often talk as if one can stick the back-cut technique under their belt and that's it. Well, the viability of a back-cut is determined by the relationship of body positioning and that's determined by footwork.

Oh well, enough of my blather, it's time for me to go train. Stay safe and injury free folks. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Wali

Post by Wali »

Okay, where can I get one? :D
Stay Sharp,Wali
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Great stuff, thanks for the interview Zac!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I'm just trying to get an idea of the Chinook Model's transition.... was the Chinook II serrated? I thought it was the the Chinook I that was so, what is the difference between all three?
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

D-Roc wrote:I'm just trying to get an idea of the Chinook Model's transition.... was the Chinook II serrated? I thought it was the the Chinook I that was so, what is the difference between all three?
Basically what would be preferred is how to distinguish all three models...anyone?
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder: