Where is the Santoku?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
opusxpn

Re: Where is the Santoku?

Post by opusxpn »

so far just the large 6" utility black PE, black SE, blue SE. The smaller utility 4" black PE, black SE, Red SE. The black small paring and the Santoku that is it that is all they show. Waiting to see if they come out with a chefs knife and boning knife.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
sal

Post by sal »

We'll add as the market demands. I will say that we do have plans for additional kitchen knives in the future with new designs and makers.

sal
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

sal wrote:We'll add as the market demands. I will say that we do have plans for additional kitchen knives in the future with new designs and makers.

sal
:)
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Awesome news Sal can't wait!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Guys,
Can you do me a favor?
I am not sure if Santoku would fit into my block. Can somebody measure for me how wide is the blade?
Thank you
cglefty4

Post by cglefty4 »

I actually asked the same question a while back. The answer I got was 2.125"
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

sal wrote:We'll add as the market demands. I will say that we do have plans for additional kitchen knives in the future with new designs and makers.

sal

Great to hear. Would love to see a full size chef's knife and maybe a smaller santoku. And all the other ones you're thinking of making.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

cglefty4 wrote:I actually asked the same question a while back. The answer I got was 2.125"
Thank you.
This is little too wide for my block. Slot is only 2". I need to figure out, if I can open it.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I have more wall space than counter space in my dinky kitchen, so I prefer to store my kitchen knives using a magnetic rack made from acacia wood with hidden rare earth magnets. Blade width is no longer a concern!

(Please excuse the non-Spydies in my current lineup...and enjoy the bonus internet meme I put up to annoy my wife! :) )

araneae

Post by araneae »

They are trickling out. Should have one ordered this week!
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

It finally arrived with a little paring friend, but here is all I got so far on the kitchen line.
Attachments
santoku.JPG
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Any comment from user? There were quite a few comment about K04, not that much about K06 and complete silence about Santoku and paring knife.
Just wondering why?
I was expecting Santoku to be around $70-$80, so $42 @ KW looks like a steal for me. I got mine today and didn't have a chance to use it yet. But cannot wait to chop some veggies.
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

How does the spyderedge on the other kitchen knives hold up vs. the plain edge counterparts?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

bh49 wrote:Any comment from user? There were quite a few comment about K04, not that much about K06 and complete silence about Santoku and paring knife.
Just wondering why?
I was expecting Santoku to be around $70-$80, so $42 @ KW looks like a steal for me. I got mine today and didn't have a chance to use it yet. But cannot wait to chop some veggies.
Probably not too many who have recieved theirs yet, mine are on the way.. I have the originals so the new ones are meant for gifts.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

CyberKlown28 wrote:How does the spyderedge on the other kitchen knives hold up vs. the plain edge counterparts?
I have original K04 and K06 with SE. I bought them in May of 2006. I didn't sharpen them yet, but we do not use them much. I didn't find SE on kitchen to be as useful as PE. Recently I purchased K04 PE. I use it much more than both SE, still not as much as my Gyutos.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

bh49 wrote:Any comment from user? There were quite a few comment about K04, not that much about K06 and complete silence about Santoku and paring knife.
Just wondering why?
Luck, I have both. The small paring knife is the perfect tool for peeling and coring apples. The Santoku is my new favorite in the kitchen. The handle is the same pattern as other new kitchen knives, but much larger. The thin wide blade is just right for me to prepare salad vegetables and get them sliced.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
lionesser

Post by lionesser »

opusxpn wrote:

sal
:)
Count me in sal. I have one of each released in black handle and have gifted a couple as well. Great knives as usual.

Lionesser
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just wondering why?
Have the new Santoku on order, but haven't received it yet. Given that the performance of the new K04 and K05 is almost identical to that of the originals and that my original K08 is the second most used knife in my kitchen, I'm confident that the new K08 will be a great chopper and slicer as well. As for the K09 Paring Knife, the original has never worked well for me. The handle has always felt small and uncomfortable in my hand, and thus difficult to control. Couldn't honestly imagine a harder, less tractive, handle material improving that situation, so I passed on the new one, at least for now.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Just ordered a set of all four kitchen knives with black handles and plain edged from KW. Santuko, Utility, Paring, and Mini Paring knife. Really looking forward to getting this set. All for $108/shipped seems like a good deal. These will be my outdoor bbq knives for summer cookouts rather than bringing my nice kitchen knives outside.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I already used my Santoku few times. It is the great knife. An excellent at chopping. But I would prefer Gyuto for slicing. I have no doubts that it will be #2 knife on my kitchen. Only Gyuto will see more use. I can only hope that Spyderco would make one with 9"-10" blade.