The PITS Folder - Unexpected Greatness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

The PITS Folder - Unexpected Greatness

Post by gbelleh »

I recently received a PITS Folder, after looking forward to it for many months. I was expecting a nice, solid little slipjoint with looks reminiscent of the ATR, that I could enjoy as part of my collection, and occasionally carry for light duty tasks. But as soon as it came out of the box, I knew it was something much more special.

Before even opening the blade, the first thing that struck me was the weight. The skeletonized titanium handle made the knife seem almost too light in the hand. The precision machined handle of this Italian made knife, with its six large holes, reminded me of a newly machined V12 engine block awaiting assembly in Modena.

On further examination right out of the box, the blade thumbed open, overcoming the self-close with the perfect amount of force. The blade followed a smooth opening arc until it "locked" open with a firm, satisfying snap. The handle settled comfortably into my hand, the holes providing reassuring grip. The bend in the pocket clip aligned perfectly with the ring finger for an excellent, secure grip. With the thumb on the smooth, and very subtle thumb ramp, total control of the blade becomes effortless. Pressing down on the tension bar really does strengthen the hold of the "lock" mechanism. Pressing firmly on the spine of the blade will overcome the slipjoint lock, moving the blade's guard securely into the index finger, always remaining under spring tension, for a very secure and controlled closing. There's no half stop notch, so the blade opens and closes smoothly and securely through the entire arc.

When open, the lightweight handle gives the knife a nice balance. It's just a bit handle-heavy, but that seems to add to the sense of security in-hand that this knife provides. At 3.4 oz., it has an almost feathery lightness in hand, and along with its thin profile, is almost unnoticeable in the pocket. The pocket clip is a low-riding, reversible, tip-up only, wire clip that seats the knife almost completely in the pocket. It holds securely, and (mostly) keeps the knife out of the way when reaching for other items in the pocket.

The tension bar cut into the top of the titanium scales works amazingly well, and looks very nice. The whole knife has a polished, precision, hi-tech look to it, almost like it's made from parts removed from a T-800 Terminator.

There is a backspacer in the rearmost 1/4 of the handle, that I didn't notice until receiving the knife. I'm not sure, but it looks like G-10. It's smooth, very subtle in appearance, and perfectly mated to the scales for a seamless finish.

The handle has a nice bevel on the outer surfaces all the way around (including the tension bar cuts), and a nice, large, angled bevel cut into the frontmost portion of the handle, giving it an interesting, wedge-like contoured shape.

The blade shape is about as close to perfection as it gets for my uses. Just under 3", it has a decent amount of belly, but not too much, as it sweeps gently up to a nice, fine point. A straight spine forms the top of the blade, creating an excellent balance of blade length and width, straight edge and belly, while also preserving a useful, sharp point at the tip. The N690Co steel came razor sharp, and has held up just fine so far without any touching up yet. I'm not a steel expert, but I have no complaints about it.

I find this knife's design so useful, that the lack of a lock is inconsequential. I was sure that this knife would see occasional carry, but wouldn't be able to replace a locking knife for extended periods of carry. I was wrong about that. I've been carrying the PITS Folder every day for the last 16 days, using it for everything with no issues and no complaints of any kind (almost).

As far as the bad… this will be a small list.
The little nub that serves as a guard and sticks out the back like a flipper when closed is slightly annoying. The blade's steel is cut pretty sharply, so that nub is quite sharp if you happen to snag your hand on it while reaching into a pocket.

Also, you could damage or scratch up other items in the pocket. I keep my cell phone in the same pocket, and there are several little scratches on my phone's protective screen film from that little nub. I don't believe it's causing any permanent harm, but it's something I'm careful to watch for.

Also, while the outer surfaces of the scales are nicely beveled, the inner corners are quite sharp, which can be especially noticeable when pressing firmly down on the top of the tension bar.

Another possible problem for some might be that the titanium is prone to scratching, and this knife comes with a nice, near-polished finish that will likely get scratched up with extended use. I plan to possibly stonewash the handles sometime down the road if the scales get too scratched up. I may also consider grinding that nub down, just enough to be flush with the back of the scale. It looks like there would probably still be enough there to protect the index finger.

As for the size, it's very similar to the Delica overall, though the PITS Folder's handle and blade are just a bit wider.

The PITS Folder is also about the same thickness as the Delica, making it a very pocket friendly knife.

Overall, this knife far exceeded my expectations, and like the Techno, instantly surprised me with just how great it really is. If you're interested in this knife, please try to get your hands on one to try. It is quite expensive, but is a very nicely made knife, and well worth the price in my opinion. The PITS Folder has quickly become one of my favorites, and will continue to see regular pocket time. I'll say it again, this knife is the King of the Slipjoints! Congratulations to Mike Read and Spyderco for this fantastic design.

Last edited by gbelleh on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
SaintlyBrees

Re: The PITS Folder - Unexpected Greatness

Post by SaintlyBrees »

One of the knives that I placed on my "wish list" for this year. Your review clinched it. Thanks. This is now a must-buy. :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

What a great review/post. Thanks for taking the time to make this, the SLIPIT line doesn't get as much attention around here that it deserves. Your review should help me get through the next week or two until mine arrives.

:)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Excellent review. Probably would not have paid it much attention otherwise. Now near the top of my to buy list
BTG

Post by BTG »

Great review, now I want one of those too !! Right after the Slysz Bowie..maybe..subject to change.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Thanks a lot for the in-depth review and pictures. It's not necessarily a must have knife for me, but I'm now more interested in checking it out.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

You do the best reviews Gino, I never skip one. I had not even considered the PITS but have now added it to my need to get list. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice pics and review! Thanks for sharing.

If I buy that knife, I'll grind off the nub and put a groove in the handle to better get at the hole.
- best wishes, Jazz.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Its a beautiful knife no doubt. The only thing that bothers me is the price. Especially so considering you can get the Blue Domino with CTS-204P for $209
Is it more expensive to make slip joints than flippers? I reckon there was a lot of machine time involved with the PITS. I don't believe the steel it uses is overly expensive. However, CTS-204P may cost less than it. I don't know. So, I guess it just takes a little longer to make them. Sorta like the Slysz Bowie? Please don't get me wrong. If there's one thing I've learned, its Spyderco is great company and I have no doubt its worth what it costs. I'm just curious as to what makes it so pricey.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for the comments. I enjoy writing reviews of knives I really like.

As far as the price, with so many different factors involved, it's hard to compare the price of one knife to another. Maybe a better comparison would be with the Lil LionSpy? Both around the same price, made in Italy. I would imagine the PITS does require a lot of machining, and probably a good amount of hand fit and finish work. But at least we know we can trust Spyderco not to gouge us, and rest assured that the price is a fair representation of the time and work put into the knife.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Over on British Blades, the designer Mike Read is offering to take any PITS in to tweak, smooth and tumble it, for a small charge. Coincidentally, there was discussion here a few weeks ago whether there was demand for such an added premium service on high end production knives, and so here is an actual example.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I like the knife!! Not in my price limitations that I self-imposed!!! :( BUT.. For those that can.. Swing for the fence!!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

gbelleh wrote:Thanks for the comments. I enjoy writing reviews of knives I really like.

As far as the price, with so many different factors involved, it's hard to compare the price of one knife to another. Maybe a better comparison would be with the Lil LionSpy? Both around the same price, made in Italy. I would imagine the PITS does require a lot of machining, and probably a good amount of hand fit and finish work. But at least we know we can trust Spyderco not to gouge us, and rest assured that the price is a fair representation of the time and work put into the knife.
Yes sir. I agree.
And great pics and review as always!
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Looking forward to buying one when the price comes down!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the review! It's certainly interesting to me and you made a great point about it being almost automotive in design (which totally explains the attraction :)). Definitely going on the wish list!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

ChrisinHove wrote:Over on British Blades, the designer Mike Read is offering to take any PITS in to tweak, smooth and tumble it, for a small charge. Coincidentally, there was discussion here a few weeks ago whether there was demand for such an added premium service on high end production knives, and so here is an actual example.
I wonder if having the designer mod/pimp/tweak the knife voids the warranty.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

One thing I realize about locking vs. non-locking knives in general, is that locking knives (aside from being safer), are more fun and interesting to use. It's just satisfying to me, to operate a well designed mechanical lock. Liner or frame lock, ball bearing, back lock, compression lock, they're all ingenious mechanisms that are engaging to watch work. Many are beautiful in their elegance and sophistication, while still being simple and satisfying to manipulate. Slipjoints usually lack that observable locking mechanism, and while being perfectly functional, aren't as engaging to use.

The PITS Folder's mechanism is highly visible. It's ingenious in its simplicity, beautifully carved out of the existing titanium. You can watch the spring rise, then snap precisely into place as it operates. And, unlike most slipjoints, you have some control over the strength of the lockup, through thumb placement.

This visible mechanical operation, satisfies my desire for mechanical involvement with a knife, while the tight, rock solid, controllable lockup, provides peace of mind and safety during use.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

gbelleh wrote:One thing I realize about locking vs. non-locking knives in general, is that locking knives (aside from being safer), are more fun and interesting to use. It's just satisfying to me, to operate a well designed mechanical lock. Liner or frame lock, ball bearing, back lock, compression lock, they're all ingenious mechanisms that are engaging to watch work. Many are beautiful in their elegance and sophistication, while still being simple and satisfying to manipulate. Slipjoints usually lack that observable locking mechanism, and while being perfectly functional, aren't as engaging to use.

The PITS Folder's mechanism is highly visible. It's ingenious in its simplicity, beautifully carved out of the existing titanium. You can watch the spring rise, then snap precisely into place as it operates. And, unlike most slipjoints, you have some control over the strength of the lockup, through thumb placement.

This visible mechanical operation, satisfies my desire for mechanical involvement with a knife, while the tight, rock solid, controllable lockup, provides peace of mind and safety during use.
I really wish I could write like you do. This echos my thoughts exactly.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi gbelleh!

And THX Much for such a fantastic review & pics. :)

I haven't yet handled a PITS, but I certainly want to, and see how it works and 'locks' the blade open. :D

And the stonewashed idea for the titanium scales sounds really nice. Actually it's my personal only downside of the PITS, being so shiny it looks to me merely like a showcase piece. :rolleyes:
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi gbelleh!

And THX Much for such a fantastic review & pics. :)

I haven't yet handled a PITS, but I certainly want to, and see how it works and 'locks' the blade open. :D

And the stonewashed idea for the titanium scales sounds really nice. Actually it's my personal only downside of the PITS, being so shiny it looks to me like a showcase piece. :rolleyes: