Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Post by sal »

Sorry, I lied. It's a CPM 4V mule.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

^^^ Too much sake, eh? ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Figured this might be appropriate here:
sal wrote:
RamZar wrote: [Do please tell which ones will be shipped to dealers before Christmas...
Lil' Lionspy, Roadie, black dog tag.

sal
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's really sweet. I hope the Lil Lionspy doesn't break my bank. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I read in another forum where Sal held out the possibility of a sprint run Meerkat and asked about color and blade design.
That might be interesting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Haha. It's not 4v, it's CPM 4v.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

From: Brown G-10 Stretch "Test Model" observations thread
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 80#p986087
sal wrote:It's in the catalog, but we don't have a date yet. The prototype get's a lot of pocket time. We're making it just as Deacon showed it. Once it's out for a while, we can discuss variations. I know some had expressed preferring a different handle material or blade material.

sal
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

"No plans for any changes to basic steels. Takefu does a great job on VG-10 and the market likes it.

When we started making Mule Teams from different steels, there weren't s many available. Then foundries began making their own variations of what they felt would be popular steels. M390, 20CP, etc. Even Crucible is planning their 20CP version. While they all have very similar chemsitry, steel junky's indicated they would like to see Mule Teams in these steel to compare them in use.

RWL was very challenging to get from Damasteel. They've not made sheet before. Only bar stock so RWL has pretty much been a steel for custom makers, mostly in Europe. They have rolled some RWL in sheet specifically for us so we could make a Mule Team and it will be the first prodcution application of the steel.

If any of these steels prove interesting, and our customers want it in production, then we can more forward. Super Blue is an example of a series made in reguar models for customer appreciation. I particularly like SB and if we were to make another model in that steel, I would probably use the Temperance 2 format.

sal"

At least to me this is bombshell material.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Bodog wrote:"No plans for any changes to basic steels. Takefu does a great job on VG-10 and the market likes it.

When we started making Mule Teams from different steels, there weren't s many available. Then foundries began making their own variations of what they felt would be popular steels. M390, 20CP, etc. Even Crucible is planning their 20CP version. While they all have very similar chemsitry, steel junky's indicated they would like to see Mule Teams in these steel to compare them in use.

RWL was very challenbging to get from Damasteel. They've not made sheet before. Only bar stock so RWL has pretty much been a steel for custom makers, mostly in Europe. They have rolled some RWL in sheet specifically for us so we could make a Mule Team and it will be the first prodcution application of the steel.

If any of these steels prove interesting, and our customers want it in production, then we can more forward. Super Blue is an example of a series made in reguar models for customer appreciation. I particularly like SB and if we were to make another model in that steel, I would probably use the Temperance 2 format.

sal"

At least to me this is bombshell material.
Thanks for the info, Bodog! I was going to ask you for the source of this quote, but I outsmarted the search engine and quickly found it by searching "challenbging" , first this forum, then in Blade forums :D (Take that, search engines!)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st14263952" target="_blank
Last edited by DougC-3 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Speaking of the Powerlock:
sal wrote:The extra part changes the direction of force. Yes we tested it and it tested very well. We do have another design planned for the lock. Smaller model.

sal
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

From the "What are the chances of....." thread regarding the possibility of a future G10 Foundry.
sal wrote:The original purpose of rhe model was for Carpenter employees, but Eric designed the knife and it is exceptional in many areas. I doubt that we would just stop it without considering a G-10 version.

sal
http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=66699
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Shorter PM2:

"We've got a shorter para 2 in R&D. Being refined now. Heigth, cockpit and thickness are the same, just shorter at both ends."

sal

Also this:

"The idea came from a forumite that had his modified.

Initial reaction in R&D was "why?", but after much thought, (we do that in our R&D mtgs, sometimes it gets hairy), we decided to work up a proto and go from there. Not much chance of squeezing it in in the near future, with current demand and few new pieces already scheduled in (black auto, Shaman) the production schedule. Plus we have a variety of variations of current models in-the-works for exclusives as well as for us."

sal
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bh49

Gauntlet

Post by bh49 »

[QUOTE=Sal Glesser;14402520]
The new "Gauntlet" sharpener is planned for CBN (400 mesh) and Ceramic (fine) rods in a Cats-eye shape.
sal[/QUOTE]
Gravedigger

Post by Gravedigger »

"We've got a shorter para 2 in R&D. Being refined now. Heigth, cockpit and thickness are the same, just shorter at both ends."

sal

I wonder if it is 3 inch model for us unfortunate states with restrictions.
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

Illinois is one such state, and that's the only reason I'm not carrying a Para 2.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Gravedigger wrote:"We've got a shorter para 2 in R&D. Being refined now. Heigth, cockpit and thickness are the same, just shorter at both ends."

sal

And the first thing that pops into my head is can I take a current model blade, swap it into the shorter frame, and balance out the handle to blade ratio a little?
Love the PM2, don't get me wrong, but hey … CQI …
Either way I want at least two of the shorter variant.

~ edge
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Gravedigger wrote:"We've got a shorter para 2 in R&D. Being refined now. Heigth, cockpit and thickness are the same, just shorter at both ends."

sal

Just when you find inner peace after buying a PM2 elmax sprint run this post appears...
Now my wallet is screaming again :o :D
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

sal wrote:FYI, we've got G-10 versions in-the-works in Super Gold.

sal
In reference to the Endura (and presumably Delica). Thread link.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Consolidated here for your convenience. Hope you guys are wearing your helmets...

In reference to the Chaparral 4:
sal wrote:No FRN in-the-works. We have 4 different variations, with 3 of them, we're having problems with the material in one way or another. Which ever material gets sorted first will be the next variation.
In reference to the Endeavor:
sal wrote:Essentially Chris Claycomb's Bushcraft handle (but in solid Carbon Fiber) and a full flat utility shaped blade (designed by Chris) in CPM-S90V. Not made for Bushcrafting, but for general utility, but with a Bushcraft handle that can be used all day every day without any "hot spots" developing.
Confirmation on upcoming Delica/Endura/Stretch sprints:
sal wrote:
FCM415 wrote:So G10 Endura/Delica versions in Super Gold AND FRN Endura/Stretch/Delica in HAP40 in the works correct?
correct.

sal
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

tvenuto wrote:Consolidated here for your convenience. Hope you guys are wearing your helmets...

Confirmation on upcoming Delica/Endura/Stretch sprints:
sal wrote:
FCM415 wrote:So G10 Endura/Delica versions in Super Gold AND FRN Endura/Stretch/Delica in HAP40 in the works correct?
correct.

sal
Awesome news! I would still love to see a G10 Caly 3.5 Sprint in one of these steels and am hoping that the Stretch is the newer version. Keeping my fingers crossed ;)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D