Ordered a Native 5 fluted titanium

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Ordered a Native 5 fluted titanium

Post by jackknifeh »

I placed the order Native 5 fluted titanium knife. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to getting it. Then again I probably don't need to. I'm sure everyone knows what it's like to wait for a knife. :) Who has one and what do you think of it? Just looking for a little conversation (and maybe a picture or two) to hold me over till Monday. That's when USPS predicts it getting here. Does anyone have any nice pictures of it? I know of one guy who does. It was his pictures that sort of pushed me over the edge to click on the "BUY NOW" button. :) To that guy I say THANK YOU! :)
Pinetreebbs

Re: Ordered a Native 5 fluted titanium

Post by Pinetreebbs »

IMO, you will not be disappointed. ;)
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You're very welcome Jack! I promise you will love it and be awed by its intricacy. None of my crappy iPhone pics can do it true justice, especially the fine details like the stippling within each rib. Get your jewelers loop ready, the level of fine details on this one is so wonderful under close magnification! Many cheers and here's another (poor) pic to held tide you over, you can sort of make out the stippling I'm talking about. Cheers, Radioactive :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:You're very welcome Jack! I promise you will love it and be awed by its intricacy. None of my crappy iPhone pics can do it true justice, especially the fine details like the stippling within each rib. Get your jewelers loop ready, the level of fine details on this one is so wonderful under close magnification! Many cheers and here's another (poor) pic to held tide you over, you can sort of make out the stippling I'm talking about. Cheers, Radioactive :)

I notice you don't have the clip on yours. I have to say that's one knife handle that shouldn't have anything hiding any of it. Wonder what a titanium clip with matching flutes would run me? :eek: I agree with the face. Thanks for the pic. Your phone can be proud. :)

Jack
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If there was a Native 5 I would learn to love, this would be the one. Swap a S110V blade in one and it's a pretty epic combo.
RadioactiveSpyder

Hi Jack, I still have the stock clip on this one unchanged, it's just the other side pictured here. Some of my other Natives (my EDC S110Vs and ironwood/orange G10 customs) have Casey Lynch Featherlite clips on them like the pic below.

If anyone could make you a ribbed clip with a similar pattern, it's Casey!! He goes by the Originalspaceman on BF, and I bet he'd not charge very much for trying to make a custom one. I have lots of his clips on my EDC knives, several anodized different colors. I can't say enough about the high quality of his work and how great he is to communicate with. Cheers, Paul

Front to back: Anso sculpted orange G10 scales by Steve Ketchen; desert ironwood scales by Luke at Cuscadi and optimized by Steve Ketchen; moonglow EDC forum exclusive; checkered green G10 Spyderco forum exclusive; CF S110V sprint; then the standard fluted Ti, black G10 and the lightweight FRN versions. Gotta love the Natives!
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

Evil D wrote:If there was a Native 5 I would learn to love, this would be the one. Swap a S110V blade in one and it's a pretty epic combo.
Been tempted to do that for sure! Pretty sure MadRookie has one like that, with one of those kick-a$$ Gareth Bull regrinds from South Africa.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

You're in for a treat Jack. The fluted ti Native and Military prove to me that the Golden facility can hang with anybody when it comes to producing immaculate folding knives. The fluted ti Native is one seriously outstanding knife.

senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:If there was a Native 5 I would learn to love, this would be the one. Swap a S110V blade in one and it's a pretty epic combo.
Man, I'm tempted to do this swap but the CF/S110V combo is too nice to break up in my book. I keep thinking about doing a blade swap but when I pick up the CF knife I'm like "Nah, it can wait."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Pure awesome!!!! The handle is contoured unlike the G10 version which makes all the difference. It is amazing what a change in ergos that little bit of difference can make. I have both the fluted ti military and the fluted ti native and this is true of both of them. The titanium looks very cool and feels very cool and any weight gain over g10 is totally worth the contoured and textured handle.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Pure awesome!!!! The handle is contoured unlike the G10 version which makes all the difference. It is amazing what a change in ergos that little bit of difference can make.
My thoughts exactly. I've always preferred the old Native III with the "3D" handles over the flatter versions. The Fluted Ti version is kind of the best of both worlds because it has the nice contours but also the sleek, refined, expensive looks. If I recall correctly BFK, you picked that one up at the factory seconds sale which makes me even more jelly! :D
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The Native 5 fluted Ti can in my opinion not be put in row with the other native 5's.
Quality Fit and Finish is to the roof on this one compared to the others (And the others are already amazing offcourse).
I must say in my hands it is the only native that really gets to me. This one is a piece of art! :)
And yes in a way i am a sucker for Titanium :p
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Thanks for the pics guys. Especially the ones with other knives to give me a good ideal of size. Sometimes when I look a the blade length I think a knife is the same size as one I already have. Then when I get them they are a little bigger or smaller than I expect. Especially how they feel in my hand. Definitely looking forward to getting mine. I don't think the guy who set up the USPS delivery schedule to not deliver on Sundays has never ordered a Spyderco Native 5 with fluted titanium handle. :) If he had ordered one a couple of days ago I bet he would have USPS working tomorrow. :)

Jack
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I did in fact pick it up at the seconds sale. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love the fluted ti, but I can't convince myself to pull the trigger on that price point, especially because the Native and Military aren't my favorites for EDC.

Now a fluted ti manix or PM I'd be all over, especially the manix.

And I hope that there is a fluted ti chaparral at some point. I am rapidly falling in love with this little knife in the CF version and strongly tempted to pick up the stepped ti version.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ti Fluted Native5 IMHO is the one of the best knives Spyderco ever made. I love all my N5. For me the best part in N5 are ergos. Ti Fluted even level up due to contoured scales. And of cause gorgeous look.

Last edited by bh49 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I did in fact pick it up at the seconds sale. :D
Lucky you :)
But I cannot complain either. I received mine as the gift from my friend Jack, who is well known on this forum as yablanowitz.
Jack, thank you.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Nice looking knife.
Tell me how the back end of the knife feels.I have a thing :mad: about some lockbacks with an overly heavy back end.
joe58

Post by joe58 »

Looks awesome - bet you'll love it. I've been really tempted since I have a couple of the G10 models and a Sage lockback which to me is quite similar.

The G10 Native is one of their best IMHO. I will be curious to see how you compare the two once it arrives. In particular, again the 2013 forum edition. My fav. Lol.

I decided to try a Lil LionSpy instead. :)
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

It is a beast of a little knife.....especially in S110V & GB regrind.....

Just could not resist....