Any exciting experiences buying or selling your Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Any exciting experiences buying or selling your Spydercos?

Post by DougC-3 »

Sorry, I really haven't had any truly noteworthy experiences myself--maybe a couple of minor ones I'll mention below--that's why I'm coming here asking for your stories :D

Has anybody run across a rare or highly coveted spydie in some small town general store, sitting in the back of the display case with a 15 year old price tag on it? ... or got a super deal on the 'bay or BST forums? ... or been taken for a ride, sold a bill of goods, bought a misrepresented item? ... or managed to sell a knife or two at a good price?

Or do you have any special tips or advice about buying or selling knives?

I was surprised to notice that about 16% of my spydies have been bought from individuals, but I have never sold one. Buying, whether from a dealer or an individual, is one of the most exciting things about the Spyderco experience for me, and it's especially exciting to run across a highly desired knife for an unexpected low price. This has only happened to me once or twice, and then probably not anything that would knock your sox off.

I got a highly desired D'Allara Rescue in like-new condition for $62 on eBay. Also, for $110, I got one of the pilot run of 50 C101 Manix 2's in stonewashed 154CM from 2009, when they switched from the backlock to the CBBL and from S30V to 154CM, and were deciding whether to go with HG or FFG. About 20 or 25 were FFG and the rest HG. Mine is HG and looks new in box. I was looking for a 154CM Manix at the time to try out and the pilot run business was a bonus... except that I haven't used it yet... :)

What are your stories?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Brock O Lee

Re: Any exciting experiences buying or selling your Spyderco

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have seen a few interesting discontinued ones at brick and mortar stores in SA, but passed on all mostly because they were priced quite a margin over and above MSRP (I suppose to price in shipping from the US, import taxes, profit and exchange rate).

- Para 1 SE (had some up-down blade play)
- ATR VG10 SE - expensive!
- Centofante 4 (wharcliffe blade) - should have bought it!
- A few Hossom FB's - expensive

Bought a few discontinued knives from local guys on the SABlade forum, most notable was
- Military S90V (lightly used)
- JD Smith SE (NIB)

Best buys from Bladeforums were these long discontinued sprints:
- M4 Military NIB (my most expensive purchase to date)
- M4 Manix with a Krein regrind (in my pocket today)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
v8r

Post by v8r »

I have a few stories, but not any where I stole the knives for very little money.
I was on vacation several years ago and walked in to a knife shop in Alabama, and they had a Kris sitting in the display case. The Kris was one of those knives that I never cared for until I saw it in person. I thought it was ugly in pictures, but for some reason when I saw it in person I had to handle it. Once the store owner handed it to me , and I felt how great the ergos were and how cool it really is,I bought it. I paid $175 for it which was not a smoking deal, but they were going for stupid money on Ebay back then. Usually more than twice what I paid, so I figured it was a good buy. I have had several people try to buy it from me, but I like it so much I will probably never get rid of it.

Went on vacation last year and stopped by the same knife shop. He didn't have any cool old Spydies, but my wife bought me a Titanium fluted Military for $225 from him. Not a smoking deal, but about 30 dollars cheaper than I have ever seen them anywhere else.

Recently I found a online dealer who's webpage said he still had a Full SE Manix 2 still in stock. I gave him a call to make sure he actually had it. He checked for me and confirmed he had it. Purchased that knife for $89 dollars plus shipping. It gets here and its collector numbered, which was kind of cool. I had been looking for a full SE Manix for a while, and this one was just a google search away, and a great price to boot.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

v8r wrote:my wife bought me a Titanium fluted Military for $225 from him. Not a smoking deal
I paid $260+ and still think that this is smoking deal.
DougC-3 wrote: Or do you have any special tips or advice about buying or selling knives?
Be patient, if you can. You will buy for less and sell for more.
The key word here "if you can". There are things, which cannot be measured with numbers. There are knives, which I bought right after they came out. I would save some money, if I would wait. Like recently I paid $170 for Worker, few months later it was available for $135. But I enjoyed the knife for these few months. So I do not regret things like these. But, when I can, I would wait for a long time to get a deal, which will nor brake a valet.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I guess getting a stainless Poliwog (a little scratched) for $30 should count. And maybe a blue Lum for $70 or a Para1 black/black se for $80.

The SFO seconds sale had many huge surprises. Forum Natives in S110V for $55, Moonglow Natives for $50, S90V PM2s for $80, 204P PM2s for $50, benchstones for $2, etc. Everything was basically 1/4 MSRP. :eek:

Oh...and stumbling onto a treasure trove of Japanese exclusive Workers (pearl and wood) and memorial Everest knives while browsing Rakuten was fun. :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for the interesting stories and feedback, everybody.
Brock O Lee wrote:I have seen a few interesting discontinued ones at brick and mortar stores in SA, but passed on all mostly because they were priced quite a margin over and above MSRP (I suppose to price in shipping from the US, import taxes, profit and exchange rate).
[...]
Best buys from Bladeforums were these long discontinued sprints:
- M4 Military NIB (my most expensive purchase to date)
- M4 Manix with a Krein regrind (in my pocket today)
I bought an M4 Manix on eBay, well used and no Krein regrind of course. It had a lot of lateral play, even wobble when closed, but I kept tightening the pivot, very slowly and carefully, actually pulling the liners together, and finally the play was gone. I might not recommend this technique, because I don't know what kind of stress I put on the pivot or how long it will last.
v8r wrote: I was on vacation several years ago and walked in to a knife shop in Alabama
[...]
Went on vacation last year and stopped by the same knife shop.
Would this place be near the Gulf by any chance? I've seen a store selling on eBay that's located in Foley, AL, that I've thought about checking out the next time I'm down that way.
Recently I found a online dealer who's webpage said he still had a Full SE Manix 2 still in stock. I gave him a call to make sure he actually had it. He checked for me and confirmed he had it. Purchased that knife for $89 dollars plus shipping. It gets here and its collector numbered, which was kind of cool. I had been looking for a full SE Manix for a while, and this one was just a google search away, and a great price to boot.
Good idea, googling the individual knife instead of just trying to check all the dealers separarely.
GoldenSpydie wrote:I guess getting a stainless Poliwog (a little scratched) for $30 should count. And maybe a blue Lum for $70 or a Para1 black/black se for $80.

Oh...and stumbling onto a treasure trove of Japanese exclusive Workers (pearl and wood) and memorial Everest knives while browsing Rakuten was fun. :D
Oof!! That's an amazing price for a Poliwog and also for an SE PM1. Jay's Knives used to have satin SE Para1's for, I think, $150, but when I went back to check, they'd changed their name and it seemed like most of their disco'ed spydies were gone... Got to get back to Rakuten and see if anything else interesting has turned up :D
bh49 wrote:
DougC-3 wrote: Or do you have any special tips or advice about buying or selling knives?
Be patient, if you can. You will buy for less and sell for more.
The key word here "if you can". There are things, which cannot be measured with numbers. There are knives, which I bought right after they came out. I would save some money, if I would wait. Like recently I paid $170 for Worker, few months later it was available for $135. But I enjoyed the knife for these few months. So I do not regret things like these. But, when I can, I would wait for a long time to get a deal, which will nor brake a valet.
This is the hard part. I tend to plan long, wait, then buy impulsively at the wrong time :( ...but I am trainable.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
v8r

Post by v8r »

Yes DougC-3 that's it. It's called St. Nick's knives. It is a very nice store and they typically have quite a few Spydies amongst many other brands. The prices are about Msrp mostly .
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I was pretty excited when Sal himself mentioned that they could indeed sell their WTC commemorative knives to us poor NY residents! I received number 1845, which is very special in NYPD history as it's their founding year. I'll have to get a pic of it, it's safely stored away as a highly valued treasure in my collection.

Now that I have moved, I can order straight from the mothership now, and Jim Howe's store!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

v8r wrote:Yes DougC-3 that's it. It's called St. Nick's knives. It is a very nice store and they typically have quite a few Spydies amongst many other brands. The prices are about Msrp mostly .
\

Thanks! I'll definitely try to go there next time I'm in that area.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I was pretty excited when Sal himself mentioned that they could indeed sell their WTC commemorative knives to us poor NY residents! I received number 1845, which is very special in NYPD history as it's their founding year. I'll have to get a pic of it, it's safely stored away as a highly valued treasure in my collection.

Now that I have moved, I can order straight from the mothership now, and Jim Howe's store!
I took note when Sal said that. And that was quite a catch, especially for an NY resident (at the time).
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I found a BNIB Lil Temp Leaf PE about 3 months ago at a gun shop. Paid slightly less than $150 and it now belongs to Wire Edge Roger. My suggestion is hit decent pawn shops and small gun shops every little town you pass through. The same place the Lil Temp came from has a D'Alla Toad NIB. I prefer new old stock since not everyone's version of "never carried, never cut" is the same as mine.
Other suggestion is not to buy just because you think you can sell easily for same or profit. Depending on model, new releases, combo vs PE, ect you may get stuck with something you might not have wanted to keep. Buy what you like, get your best deal possible, and if you need to sell, be realistic and as fair as possible
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
I've found a few deals at a nearby flea market.
Terzuola Slipit, $30, Centofante pe with green inserts, $30, grey Ladybug1 sprint, $8, Ladybug 1, $5, Viele pe, $80.
Also got a fg d2 Para 1 for $85 on BF.
All were used, but in great condition for the price paid.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

Ordered two Urbans from SierraTradingPost a while back and when they arrived I had two boxes and only one knife. They promptly corrected the problem and I can see how someone filling the order might grab both boxes and not notice one missing knife if they never separated the boxes.