Kiwi4 or Bradley air for mbc??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Kiwi4 or Bradley air for mbc??

Post by twinboysdad »

Caly 3 or 3.5
v8r

Post by v8r »

SolidState wrote:
v8r wrote:How about a Swick? Small, lightweight, would be nasty in a fight, and almost impossible for someone to take from you.
Bi-fold is already out. They likely have another folding swick coming. I would feel fully comfortable with a kiwi - no slipping. It's my edc, and with practice relatively easy to deploy. If anything it reminds me of the only fighting knives commonly used in to-the-death knife fights in our day and age.

I think we are talking about two different knives. OP was asking about smaller knives with a wharnecliff style blade. They have made two Swick models now with a Wharnecliff style blade.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone

I know it's rare for people to compile cutting performance data of their knives, and Dr. Snubnose has not done a meat test in years on this forum.

I decided to test some of my smaller knives on rolled up shop rags with a double layer of denim on top. To my surprise the Dragonfly when not using the choil, creates a negative blade angle and out cut my flat grind spyderco delica! It even outcut a Salt 1 which Dr. Snubnose has had good results with in the past. I was even further surprised that my AL MAR hawk ultralight performed extremely well too!..maybe there is something to be said for leaf shaped blades....

I know it wasn't very scientific, but with the limited data out there, I figured the best I could do was try it out for myself

Maybe Michael Janich could weigh in or Dr. snubnose if he is still around
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The problem is ballistic performance (for lack of a better phrase) is only like 1% of the equation. A Ladybug Hawkbill would prob meet or exceed the Delica but it would be an awful tool for defense. Relative to other tools.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Where can I read up on "ballistic performance"
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm guessing if you google that you are going to get a bunch of information about rockets and bullets rather than slicing/penetration for bladed tools :).

What I meant is how much matter is split on a single draw-cut, slash, or stab is a very small percent of the overall "defense" picture. Even discounting training and a user's own physique, the lock security, handle security, clip design, and all that is at the least just as important as how well it cuts.

In theory my reground Spyderco Khukuri is a vastly superior 3.5" blade to my Stretch; it has massive negative blade angle and even more cutting edge. The handle itself is nowhere near as secure though.

Another example is the Yojimbo 2. It has a very sturdy lock, a very hand-filling handle, a mid-carry clip, and a blade that in sillohette (Wharncliffe) and in grind (hollow) is designed to cut deep and stay very secure in a hand. That said; it's downright ominous to look at which means for all intents and purposes many people would probably be better off with a Delica4.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

I understand that, but I am not looking for the best, I am looking for something that accommodates my needs....kind of like how most would agree that a glock 19 is a better defense tool then a sig p238. Even though the sig has drawbacks such as the thumb safety, must carry cocked and locked, smaller caliber, limited ammo, etc...I just feel more comfortable carrying the P238 everyday and just train to overcome its shortcomings

I see the dragonfly in the same light, only that I find it cuts better then a delica (when used without the choil) and the handle locks in the hand quite nicely

With that said I think the dragonfly would work for me...I'm just concerned that I am missing something on "ballistic testing"
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If the Dragonfly works for you it works for you. For many it's a solid 3-finger grip but not a 4-finger grip. It's probably the smallest knife I can hold securely (and I have small hands) but there others that are far better.

Call it ballistic testing or "slicing performance", it's just a factor of penetration and cut length. What a knife will do on a static target is terrifying; it's the basis of the Porkman demo. What it will do on an enraged person is a completely different subject but that it another talk :).

Go with what makes you feel comfortable. It's very unlikely you (or anyone) will have to stab or slash another person so it's mostly mental comfort. You are already taking MBC classes for fun and training which is a great step! Those principals are fairly universal for cutting tools although I'm not sure what Mike J would say about biomechanical cutting with a 2.5'ish blade.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

v8r wrote:I think we are talking about two different knives. OP was asking about smaller knives with a wharnecliff style blade. They have made two Swick models now with a Wharnecliff style blade.
You can always take belly off (costing edge length), but putting it on will cost you blade length.

You should try cutting tests with a swick if you get good results with a dragonfly. You may enjoy yourself with that one.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

If I am going with a fixed blade, I think I am leaning towards the smaller hideaway knife...it's easier to hide when wearing a suit or office attire
v8r

Post by v8r »

SolidState wrote:
v8r wrote:I think we are talking about two different knives. OP was asking about smaller knives with a wharnecliff style blade. They have made two Swick models now with a Wharnecliff style blade.
You can always take belly off (costing edge length), but putting it on will cost you blade length.

You should try cutting tests with a swick if you get good results with a dragonfly. You may enjoy yourself with that one.
I'm sorry I guess I don't follow or understand the point you are trying to make? My Swick cuts through 9 ounce leather quite regularly like butter, and is very secure in the hand. If it will cut through leather like that, trust me skin/meat shouldn't be a problem. I think it would make quite the formidable weapon if used in a defensive role, on the other hand I don't believe a Dragonfly would be a good pick due to the limited grip it provides.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

v8r wrote:I'm sorry I guess I don't follow or understand the point you are trying to make? My Swick cuts through 9 ounce leather quite regularly like butter, and is very secure in the hand. If it will cut through leather like that, trust me skin/meat shouldn't be a problem. I think it would make quite the formidable weapon if used in a defensive role, on the other hand I don't believe a Dragonfly would be a good pick due to the limited grip it provides.
I think we're making the same point differently. I don't have any argument with your statements - they all ring true. I just don't discount a leaf blade when I want a wharnie version because it's a pretty easy mod.