S30V Techno?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Able Dog

Re: S30V Techno? Spyderco has some explaining to do.

Post by Able Dog »

brancron wrote:
It's really irritating that people are trying to just shrug this off.
People are shrugging it off because, 1 it seems to have been an honest mistake and 2 the problem can be easily remedied. Return the knife for a full refund, and specifically shop for an XHP Techno from a knife retailer such as BladeHQ, Knifecenter, etc etc. Or send it to Spyderco's W&R department. They will go out of their way to inspect the knife before selling it to you if you have any questions about it.

I'm sure there are plenty of XHP Technos for sale still.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

A sprint of blue anodized Technos with s110v? Sign me up!
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

I personally would be ticked if i got a knife that was marketed as cts-xhp and it was s30v. I love both steels but i want what i paid to get. I think it would be interesting if Sal chimed in.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

SpydyLover123 wrote:I personally would be ticked if i got a knife that was marketed as cts-xhp and it was s30v. I love both steels but i want what i paid to get. I think it would be interesting if Sal chimed in.
Yes but what else could Sal say that Taz has not yet addressed?
TazKristi wrote:Hi everyone, I would have posted sooner, but I had to get some clarification myself first.

Put simply, this was an honest mistake. There was one production run made with CPM S30V. The CPM S30V Techno is shipping through normal distribution with no change in pricing.

We are working on updating the copy on our site and in the Product Information Guide that is included with the knife to acknowledge the use of CPM S30V. Future production runs will be with CTS XHP.

CPM S30V and CTS XHP are very comparable in both price and performance. Both are made here in the U.S. and both are shipped to our maker in Taiwan for production of some of the finest knives that we offer. Our maker in Taiwan is above reproach and continues to prove worthy of the extra time and expense it takes to ship high-performance U.S. steel for Spyderco production in Taiwan.

If you received a CPM S30V Techno but prefer one made with CTS XHP, please either return it to your retailer for a refund or contact our W&R department to see if an exchange is available. We will not have more CTS XHP Technos available until fall 2015, but we will work with you to process an exchange. CPM S30V Technos sent in for exchange must be unused and in original packaging. Please contact W&R via e-mail at customerservice@spyderco.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" prior to shipment of your knife.

Thank you all for your passionate interest in Spyderco.

Kristi
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

FCM415 wrote:Yes but what else could Sal say that Taz has not yet addressed?
It's easy to miss Kristi's post in what is now a somewhat lengthy thread, I'm sure he just didn't see it.

Also, the OP was irritated that people were "shrugging it off" BEFORE there was any actual word from Spyderco, and I'm sure he's happy to have the official statement, as it were. When he wrote that, it was unclear if this was a permanent (and unannounced) change, an actual mislabeled steel, or what have you. So, I think we can probably stop replying to that particular comment as though he still feels that way, as I can't imagine Kristi's reply left him wanting.
brancron

Post by brancron »

tvenuto wrote:Also, the OP was irritated that people were "shrugging it off" BEFORE there was any actual word from Spyderco, and I'm sure he's happy to have the official statement, as it were. When he wrote that, it was unclear if this was a permanent (and unannounced) change, an actual mislabeled steel, or what have you. So, I think we can probably stop replying to that particular comment as though he still feels that way, as I can't imagine Kristi's reply left him wanting.
You are correct, I am satisfied, I just wanted an explanation from Spyderco, and thought that causing a fuss here would facilitate that (and I was right!).
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

tvenuto wrote:It's easy to miss Kristi's post in what is now a somewhat lengthy thread, I'm sure he just didn't see it.
Which is why I reposted her reply from the prior page, in case anyone else missed it. It's quite complete and resolves this completely. We both know that Sal does a a lot of chiming in, we cannot really expect him to do more and micromanage everything. You seem to be in defense of his post when I had no other intent than to show that it is resolved.
tvenuto wrote:Also, the OP was irritated that people were "shrugging it off" BEFORE there was any actual word from Spyderco, and I'm sure he's happy to have the official statement, as it were. When he wrote that, it was unclear if this was a permanent (and unannounced) change, an actual mislabeled steel, or what have you. So, I think we can probably stop replying to that particular comment as though he still feels that way, as I can't imagine Kristi's reply left him wanting.
That's not aimed at me is it? The way you posted, it sounds like it is. I haven't said anything to the OP in this entire thread.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

brancron wrote:
You are correct, I am satisfied, I just wanted an explanation from Spyderco, and thought that causing a fuss here would facilitate that (and I was right!).
Welcome to the forum by the way!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

brancron wrote:You are correct, I am satisfied, I just wanted an explanation from Spyderco, and thought that causing a fuss here would facilitate that (and I was right!).
Glad to hear it. I know it's really frustrating to drop a lot of coin on a knife you're really excited about, only to have it be something other than you expect. Even if, in this case, it was just a (rather unexpected) mistake, and an interesting one at that.

One thing you do have to remember, though, in this rapid-refresh world of ours, is that Spyderco employees do their actual job first, and pop in here when available. I would submit that Kristi's response would have come in the same amount of time even if no one else had responded to your post. The "squeaky wheel may get the grease," but "patience is a virtue" as well. Spyderco WILL respond to customer concerns, and it has always been a satisfactory one in my experience. If you always do the right thing when no one is looking, there won't be anything to cover up, or talk around, when mistakes are made.

FCM

No it wasn't aimed at you, and I don't mean to defend anything or take sides, it was helpful for you to repost Kristi's response. He may have just been requesting Sal directly not knowing that any other employees post here. Able replied to his previous statement, I should have been more careful with quotes and such, that was just more of a general statement. I just didn't think the argument over who should be what level of worked-up needed to keep going now that spyderco chimed in.

Edit: Also the OP and the one who requested Sal are different people, now that I look at it.
Last edited by tvenuto on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

^
I wholeheartedly agree on your point(s).
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Kinda like a person special orders a car in a certain color for example.

They wait for months for it to get done.

It shows up and it's the wrong color.

Well the person has two options, they can either take what is there or not.

Frustrating as it can be it comes down to Customer Service to make the customer happy, or deal with it.

Getting upset won't change anything, not really as they are still down to the two options in the end.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't have a problem with the person wanting what he/she ordered as I stated before. I'd like to know why you thought it was appropriate for you to cause a "fuss" here? Wait, don't say. You are just trying to help Spyderco, right?

Go somewhere else and cause a fuss. Trolling doesn't help anyone or anything.

Joe
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The Mastiff wrote:I don't have a problem with the person wanting what he/she ordered as I stated before. I'd like to know why you thought it was appropriate for you to cause a "fuss" here? Wait, don't say. You are just trying to help Spyderco, right?

Go somewhere else and cause a fuss. Trolling doesn't help anyone or anything.

Joe
Way to come in at the last moment and pee on our kubaya fire! We were roasting 'smores on that!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

FCM415 wrote: Yes but what else could Sal say that Taz has not yet addressed?
Well...I guess we could plunge into another round of rampant speculation??? ;) :D :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

brancron wrote: You are correct, I am satisfied, I just wanted an explanation from Spyderco, and thought that causing a fuss here would facilitate that (and I was right!).

You would've come to the same conclusion just by voicing concern rather than taking an angry mob approach. You set the tone off way on the wrong foot with "Spyderco has some explaining to do". When you come off aggressive like that, people get defensive, that's why you saw people not throwing a fit along with you. That's why you end up in a situation like "It's really irritating that people are trying to just shrug this off." They weren't shrugging off the issue, they were shrugging off your attitude about it. In the end, I don't think anyone really disagreed with you anyway.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Just thought I'd drop by and give the old dead horse a kick or two.......yep, still dead :rolleyes:
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ManixFan wrote:Just thought I'd drop by and give the old dead horse a kick or two.......yep, still dead :rolleyes:
Agreed. :(
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

TazKristi wrote:There was one production run made with CPM S30V.
Does anyone know, or could Spyderco comment on the size of a production run, how many s30v pieces have been produced?
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

brancron wrote:.... I just wanted an explanation from Spyderco, and thought that causing a fuss here would facilitate that (and I was right!).
In general, from what I have seen from Sal, you don't need to be dramatic to get an answer from him. This does tend to be required in general, as most customer service is geared towards handling the loudest people first. But that is an old and very outdated approach. I have even seen Sal go to other forums and deal with pretty neutral comments. If you were to talk to him even a little I would bet the next time you had a problem you would not even want to make a fuss without speaking to him first.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

w3tnz wrote:
TazKristi wrote:There was one production run made with CPM S30V.
Does anyone know, or could Spyderco comment on the size of a production run, how many s30v pieces have been produced?
I think this is an interesting question. I think Deacon has mentioned a few times that a batch will normally be between 1200-2000 pieces. If this is the case then this will technically be more like a sprint run as when the batch is finished s30v Techno's won't be available again.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon