New Delica Problems

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MadMaximus

New Delica Problems

Post by MadMaximus »

So I ordered a shiny new FFG Delica in green from a very reputable source online last weekend and it came in the mail yesterday. I was horrified at what I saw, and frankly I was shocked. The fit and finish of it was absolutely horrible, and I'm surprised it made it out of the factory that way. This is hard for me to describe....the tip of the bade was so far left it was rubbing on the handle and the exact opposite side was so far right (the tang) that it was rubbing also. When I opened it up i was confused as to how it was so far off on opposite sides. Well after some examining it, the grind was way off. one side of the blade was in line with the scale and the other was angled all the way over to meet up with it. It looked kind of like /I if that makes sense... I wish I would have taken pics but I was aggravated as **** so I went straight to the post office to send it out on my way back to work from my lunch break. The vendor has been awesome and I haven't had to pay for any shipping or anything, just want to get a new one! Has anyone else had problems like this?
tvenuto

Re: New Delica Problems

Post by tvenuto »

Sorry you had this experience, I'm sure it was an anomaly, and I'm sure your new one will serve you well. A great reason to buy from a reputable dealer, they got that good reputation for a reason and will definitely take care of you if things happen to go sour.

To answer your question, I haven't had this happen, all 4 of my Delicas have good fit and finish. Sometimes these things do happen though, I've gotten Golden and Taichung spydies that were a bit "off." However, nothing to bother me enough to send back. Hope your new one is up to snuff!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

This is certainly abnormal. I didn't see anything like you described. But out of 100++ spydies, which I ever bought I had one knife, which shouldn't be shipped out of factory. I had Superhawk, which was missing a chunk of steel on the spine. Dealer exchanged it without a problem.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

I've owned probably 50 in the last few years and this was certainly abnormal to me, had never seen anything like it. Everything else I've had has been spot on, I agree its a freak occurrence. I know these kind of things happen, I'm just bummed that I'm delayed having that blade in my pocket! The vendor is one of 2 that I always use and has always been spot on with their service.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

You did the right thing. Even the best companies put out an occasional lemon. It sucks to get it, but that's what warranties and return policies are for. The next one you get should be great.
:bug-red-white
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Also, thank you for having a level head and expressing your frustration in a constructive manner. Sometimes these kinds of threads can get messy, and it's due in large part to how the OP chooses to express their frustration. This group can be quite helpful when spoken to in a civil tone.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

If you havin' Del'ca problems I feel bad for you son,
I got 99 problems, but my knife ain't one.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

A lemon squeeks by with every company I guess. Still, even if a QC guy missed it, sounds like it was bad enough for someone to have noticed it along the assy line somewhere. Sure wish you had taken pictures. I'd like to have seen it. But I understand you wanting to get it in the mail fast. Taking it home to take pictures for us to see would have delayed your getting your new knife by a day. Some people may thing "it's just one day". Obviously these are not knife people. :) I'm betting the seller inspects the one coming to you and you'll be happy.

Jack
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

jackknifeh wrote:A lemon squeeks by with every company I guess. Still, even if a QC guy missed it, sounds like it was bad enough for someone to have noticed it along the assy line somewhere. Sure wish you had taken pictures. I'd like to have seen it. But I understand you wanting to get it in the mail fast. Taking it home to take pictures for us to see would have delayed your getting your new knife by a day. Some people may thing "it's just one day". Obviously these are not knife people. :) I'm betting the seller inspects the one coming to you and you'll be happy.

Jack
Yeah regret not taking pics (as soon as it left my hand at the post office I realized it :( ), but what you said there describes how I was feeling....totally spot on! :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Atleast it did not make its way into the hands of a fresh new Spyderco owner or someone looking to just try the brand for the first time. Those impressions may have dug deeper into their memory and left a bad taste, compared to those of us who know the typical level of high quality.
Going back to Caly.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

SpeedHoles wrote:Atleast it did not make its way into the hands of a fresh new Spyderco owner or someone looking to just try the brand for the first time. Those impressions may have dug deeper into their memory and left a bad taste, compared to those of us who know the typical level of high quality.
Exactly. There have been several who get their first Spyderco and it's a lemon so they swear off the whole Spyderco line. It's a shame and ultimate they loose out. But, truth be told I've had similar things happen and I was just as quick to blow off the entire company.

Jack
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

jackknifeh wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Atleast it did not make its way into the hands of a fresh new Spyderco owner or someone looking to just try the brand for the first time. Those impressions may have dug deeper into their memory and left a bad taste, compared to those of us who know the typical level of high quality.
Exactly. There have been several who get their first Spyderco and it's a lemon so they swear off the whole Spyderco line. It's a shame and ultimate they loose out. But, truth be told I've had similar things happen and I was just as quick to blow off the entire company.

Jack

Yes, and very unfortunate when said such consumer is one who loves to post their own personal reviews to places like reddit and whatnot... Happens in every single industry out there though.
Going back to Caly.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

MadMaximus wrote:one side of the blade was in line with the scale and the other was angled all the way over to meet up with it. It looked kind of like /I if that makes sense.
Interesting... in the fakes section I swear I heard about a fake PM2 being ground the same way. Does anyone know if there is a fake version of the Delica out there yet? I wonder if people sometimes buy real Spydercos from reputable dealers, then return fake ones. That is one way that someone might end up with a fake being sold by a reputable dealer.

I also buy Star Wars figures, and you see older versions of figures in newer packaging hanging in stores all the time because people buy, swap, and reseal the figures. They return the doctored packages to WalMart or Target and get their money back.
babtron

Post by babtron »

^ Oh yes, there are some fake Delicas out there sadly. Maybe someone out there decided to buy one, buy a real one from the vendor and return the fake and it's possible the vendor did not thoroughly check. Leading to what the OP received.

Sorry OP. I've had quite a few Delicas throughout the years and have never had an issue. I actually kinda feel like my latest one, ZDP-189 was built better than the ones I've had in the past. It feels more durable to me. Not sure why lol. But thank you for being level headed. I think people fail to realize that life is full of humans and there's a thing called human error. Sure, manufacturing is supposed to limit errors, but who created those? If everyone else would just chill and understand that not everything in life is perfect, people would be much, much happier :)
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Update: My new one is on the way, should be here in a few days. Can't wait to get it, I was really stoked to get an FFG Delica back into the rotation (idk why I sold the one I had...). On the topic of fakes being sent to legit dealers, I did notice 2 things that were off with it besides the previously mentioned.

1.) The "SPYDERCO VG-10" and "SEKI-CITY JAPAN" were not stamped, but acid etched (is that something new with VG-10 models?)
2.) The green color wasn't as vibrant as others I've seen (Not the most valid reason, I know, but paired with everything else it could be a symptom of being fake)

Let me know what you guys think, and I'll let you know how things end up.
remnar

Post by remnar »

MadMaximus wrote: I did notice 2 things that were off with it besides the previously mentioned.

1.) The "SPYDERCO VG-10" and "SEKI-CITY JAPAN" were not stamped, but acid etched (is that something new with VG-10 models?)

I'm not an expert on fakes but I do know that the etched lettering instead of stamped is a tell on other models. Also, I haven't seen a VG-10 Delica with etched lettering.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

All my Delica 4s are stamped except the Kahr Delica bought very recently, which appears to be etched. So that might be a recent change? Not sure.
:bug-red-white
babtron

Post by babtron »

MadMaximus wrote:Update: My new one is on the way, should be here in a few days. Can't wait to get it, I was really stoked to get an FFG Delica back into the rotation (idk why I sold the one I had...). On the topic of fakes being sent to legit dealers, I did notice 2 things that were off with it besides the previously mentioned.

2.) The green color wasn't as vibrant as others I've seen (Not the most valid reason, I know, but paired with everything else it could be a symptom of being fake)

Do you happen to know the production date of the one you received? That could possibly tell as well...unless of course it is a fake and they just put a random date.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

Pretty sure my Damascus Delica is etched not stamped