S30V Techno?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: S30V Techno? Spyderco has some explaining to do.

Post by farnorthdan »

Boy, I wish I could get one in S30V, that sucker is going to be worth some $$$ down the road. :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

brancron wrote:It's really irritating that people are trying to just shrug this off.
You asked questions and got some facts, some opinions and overall a kind response. Frankly I'm surprised you didn't get flamed. Maybe that's just more optimism.

CPM-S30V is an extremely comparable steel; IMHO it's even better as vanadium is hot these days for most steel aficionados. Same reason people have gone crazy for CPM-S90V relative to ZDP-189.

Mistake or company intention he/she didn't get the expected CTS-XHP. Companies and dealers have return policies for a reason. Did the customer ask for Spyderco to make things right yet or do they prefer being upset?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I would be a little unhappy not to get exactly what I had ordered.

Then, if it turned out to be a "one in a million" piece, I'd be delighted with it.

Hey-ho...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

brancron wrote:
Evil D wrote:Amazing how the situation turns to a mistake and/or now it's a rare collector's item, and the tone and attitude about the whole thing changes. The perceived value of the knife is suddenly increased just because there won't be many of them, when just a couple pages ago it was inferior because of the steel. Interesting indeed.
If you're getting this impression from something I wrote, let me correct you. The issue was and always has been Spyderco selling something as "A" and the customer getting "B" without any warning or notice. The Spyderco person I spoke to said it was a mistake, which if true is certainly better than Spyderco intentionally sending out S30V knives sold as CTS-XHP, but Spyderco still has explaining to do. It's not OK for them to not be transparent about this. And the email the person who received the S30V Techno (not me) got from Spyderco contradicts what I was told on the phone today, so a lot of questions still remain.

It's really irritating that people are trying to just shrug this off.

Sorry we didn't all grab our torches and pitch forks with you. You'll find the members here are a lot more civil than that and usually work things out in a more pleasant manner. If you ask enough questions, the truth usually comes out without having to be a jackass.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don't know why people think the price of raw materials has much to do with the price of a $200 small knife. But it would be nice to have advance warning for this sort of thing. Lots of people have a steel preference and may want to grab an XHP while they can.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Are there any S30V Spyderco knives made in Taichung, or elsewhere, with 4.5mm thick blades?

Does the same mill that rolls CTS-XHP for Spyderco roll CPM-S30V?

If not, where did the 4.5mm S30V blade stock that would have been needed for an S30V Techno come from?

I could be wrong but, to me at least, this is sounding more and more like a situation where a batch of blades was marked incorrectly rather than a change in steel, intentional or otherwise.

For the record, count me among those who'd be upset if I ordered "A" and received "B" or was lead to believe I'd received "B" by the markings on the item. Also count me among the collectors who'd be tickled pink to find they'd received a Spyderco knife they knew in advance was marked incorrectly. If there's an element of hypocrisy to that, I can live with it. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The Deacon wrote:Are there any S30V Spyderco knives made in Taichung, or elsewhere, with 4.5mm thick blades?
The Nilakka uses 4.5mm S30V. Maybe they accidentally grabbed some Nilakka stock to make some Techno blades.
brancron wrote:I spoke to someone at Spyderco and they said that a batch of Technos went out in S30V "by mistake," and that S30V models will not be replacing the CTS-XHP ones and will not be available for sale.
It's a shame they are not going to go ahead and sell them because I wouldn't mind having an S30V Techno. My guess is that these will be some nice treats for those able to attend the factory seconds sale this year.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Burch Chubby
Going back to Caly.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

zhyla wrote:I don't know why people think the price of raw materials has much to do with the price of a $200 small knife. But it would be nice to have advance warning for this sort of thing. Lots of people have a steel preference and may want to grab an XHP while they can.

Oh it can have a pretty big difference depending on what you are talking about.

But with S30V and XHP being in the same range, no.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Hey Jim, I was just curious if s30v is more prone to chipping than xhp?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Hey Jim, I was just curious if s30v is more prone to chipping than xhp?
Depends on HT really, but I would say they are about the same in general.

Both can and will chip depending on the variables.

Never had S30V chip on me personally, had it roll even when smacking steel by accident.

Have had XHP microchip so it depends I suppose.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Thx Jim, I managed to chip my s30v Pm2 a while ago, I think it may still have been the factory edge but after sharpening it out I haven't had a problem. I only have limited experience with XHP (Spyderco Dice), it takes a really nice edge but it's not a hard use knife.

Is chipping perhaps a reason why we don't see these steels in more fixed blade knives?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi everyone, I would have posted sooner, but I had to get some clarification myself first.

Put simply, this was an honest mistake. There was one production run made with CPM S30V. The CPM S30V Techno is shipping through normal distribution with no change in pricing.

We are working on updating the copy on our site and in the Product Information Guide that is included with the knife to acknowledge the use of CPM S30V. Future production runs will be with CTS XHP.

CPM S30V and CTS XHP are very comparable in both price and performance. Both are made here in the U.S. and both are shipped to our maker in Taiwan for production of some of the finest knives that we offer. Our maker in Taiwan is above reproach and continues to prove worthy of the extra time and expense it takes to ship high-performance U.S. steel for Spyderco production in Taiwan.

If you received a CPM S30V Techno but prefer one made with CTS XHP, please either return it to your retailer for a refund or contact our W&R department to see if an exchange is available. We will not have more CTS XHP Technos available until fall 2015, but we will work with you to process an exchange. CPM S30V Technos sent in for exchange must be unused and in original packaging. Please contact W&R via e-mail at customerservice@spyderco.com" target="_blank" prior to shipment of your knife.

Thank you all for your passionate interest in Spyderco.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TazKristi wrote:Hi everyone, I would have posted sooner, but I had to get some clarification myself first.

Put simply, this was an honest mistake. There was one production run made with CPM S30V. The CPM S30V Techno is shipping through normal distribution with no change in pricing.

We are working on updating the copy on our site and in the Product Information Guide that is included with the knife to acknowledge the use of CPM S30V. Future production runs will be with CTS XHP.

CPM S30V and CTS XHP are very comparable in both price and performance. Both are made here in the U.S. and both are shipped to our maker in Taiwan for production of some of the finest knives that we offer. Our maker in Taiwan is above reproach and continues to prove worthy of the extra time and expense it takes to ship high-performance U.S. steel for Spyderco production in Taiwan.

If you received a CPM S30V Techno but prefer one made with CTS XHP, please either return it to your retailer for a refund or contact our W&R department to see if an exchange is available. We will not have more CTS XHP Technos available until fall 2015, but we will work with you to process an exchange. CPM S30V Technos sent in for exchange must be unused and in original packaging. Please contact W&R via e-mail at customerservice@spyderco.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank prior to shipment of your knife.

Thank you all for your passionate interest in Spyderco.

Kristi
Why does this response not surprise me... An on-going class act.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Well, the Techno has the edge geometry and thickness of a screw driver so chipping (and edge retention) really isn't on the table. Not for normal use at least. The chippiness CPM-S30v is grossly exaggerated; it's still one of the staple steels for Strider Knives and Atwood tools.

My last post was a bit curt. Sorry about that. :o

Luckily TazKristi provided the graceful resolve of a knife-wielding ballerina. :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Thx Jim, I managed to chip my s30v Pm2 a while ago, I think it may still have been the factory edge but after sharpening it out I haven't had a problem. I only have limited experience with XHP (Spyderco Dice), it takes a really nice edge but it's not a hard use knife.

Is chipping perhaps a reason why we don't see these steels in more fixed blade knives?

Not really, we see a lot of S30V in customs and Strider uses it in their fixed blades etc.

All comes down to the knife and HT. :)

Not too sure about XHP, but some of the custom guys seem to really like it, although PSF27 seems to be more attention lately.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:Well, the Techno has the edge geometry and thickness of a screw driver
Quote of the day right here.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for the clarification, Kristi. Hopefully we learned, again, that rampant speculation, though fun, may not be very helpful.

An interesting blip in the history of the Techno, I'm sure this one will be sought after for lovers of this design. Now you can have a collection of Technos! Thank god I'm not into this one, this announcement would surely have cost me some $.
arty

Post by arty »

I have a petty in XHP and the edge is not chippy at all, even when hitting bone. Since getting a good boning knife in S35V, I haven't used the petty on chicken.
I have heard some people complain that S30 V is chippy, but I haven't seen it in my Spydercos.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

arty wrote:I have a petty in XHP and the edge is not chippy at all, even when hitting bone. Since getting a good boning knife in S35V, I haven't used the petty on chicken.
I have heard some people complain that S30 V is chippy, but I haven't seen it in my Spydercos.
I've chipped both XHP and S30V and each time I think it was mainly a result of my setting the bevels at a crazy low. I reckon any steel will chip if you take the angle low enough and cut the wrong kind of material.