Mail Call! Tasman Salt Hawkbill - How do you like yours?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DansGunBlog

Mail Call! Tasman Salt Hawkbill - How do you like yours?

Post by DansGunBlog »

After getting my Dragonfly (SpyderEdge) just over a week ago, I was impressed with the serrated blade, and decided to try a Tasman Salt Hawkbill - Serrated.

Again, the focus is still finding the "right" companion blade alongside the Military.

So this is very preliminary... but ****, this is one ridiculously useful and handy knife. Just for general stuff, packages, etc.

The claw tip is particularly handy for "opening things up". Fed it some of that particularly hard clamshell packaging... the Tasman Salt ate it up like no knife before.

Fun example... I was getting ready to put a raw chicken in the crockpot yesterday (I've been cooking real food for my pups for years, and bone broth is VERY nutritious), and the chicken is frozen and shrink-wrapped. This curved Tasman Salt blade was PERFECT for getting that shrink-wrapped plastic off.

So... anyone else have one of these?

How do you like it?

Dan
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
Evil D

Re: Mail Call! Tasman Salt Hawkbill - Anyone else like their

Post by Evil D »

Loved it, but now it resides in Davey Jones's locker.
Anubisman

Post by Anubisman »

Got a non H-1 Spyderhawk off the bay. I love the hawkbill shape but it's too big and it's going away through trade soon. I love my lil Matriarch and keep that one at work off destroying box wrapping as well.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I love mine, definitely a go to for abuse
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Cuts way above its size. Great for pull cuts and works very well in the garden in tight spots where a scythe has problems. I use mine when sailing as well.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Like mine!! Yard stuff, fishing and also rides in my day pack on woods walks!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I keep its bigger sibling, the H1 Spyderhawk Salt, with me most of the time when I leave the house, but especially if working in the garden or hiking. Also seems to have near magical properties at removing string/fur/crud strung around the carpet agitator roller on many common vacuums.

Only issue I ever have with her is that it's easy to cut right through what I intend to cut and into the next thing when doing a basic draw cut. I pinch the blade with my fingers so that only enough blade to make the cut is exposed. Problem solved.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

My Tasman used to be my EDC at work. Our facility had a 3" blade length maxim. I found the serrated edge to be a terrific cutter and easy to keep sharp on my Sharpmaker. That wicked looking blade would occasionally get a comment, I worked in an office, but I would just say, "It's a tool and look at that cheery yellow handle." The Tasman is also very light in the pocket, so I still carry it occasionally, but most days now I carry my Super Blue Endura.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
DansGunBlog

Re: Mail Call! Tasman Salt Hawkbill - How do you like yours?

Post by DansGunBlog »

@Evil D - no replacement yet?

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Do I like the TASMAN SALT??? Is that the question :D ??? Well let's put it this way>> does a fish swim? Does a Beaver build dams? Does a monkey climb trees :rolleyes: ??

YES!!! Yes Indeed I like Hawkbills and I do indeed love the Spyderedged TASMAN SALT>> it's part of my Birthright for Crying Out Loud :D !!

But I do like the Harpy just a tad bit better and I like the Spyderhawk a lot better than both of them >> H-1 or VG-10 doesn't make much difference to me as long as it's got Spyderco's unique type of TEETH aka the Spyderedge :cool:

For the life of me I just don't understand why more people aren't into Hawkbill blades as companion blades :confused: ?

But it is encouraging that we are seeing more and more folks here at Spyderville taking the plunge so to speak.

This is more evidence that we NEED to see the G-10 Harpy return :cool:

You will love the SE TASMAN SALT >> but when you get the hang of using it then go up the ladder to the Harpy and Spyderhawk>> you will be glad you did ;)
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

JD Spydo wrote: For the life of me I just don't understand why more people aren't into Hawkbill blades as companion blades :confused: ?

But it is encouraging that we are seeing more and more folks here at Spyderville taking the plunge so to speak.
See, that puzzles me as well... even looking at the responses here, I'm not seeing all that much love for it.

Gotta admit, I thought it was an odd looking knife, and frankly had zero interest in it. But ****, now that I've got one... it may well be the perfect companion blade for the Military.

I like serrated to complement the plain edge of the main EDC... BUT this is the next step along that same line of thinking, serrated AND hawkbill.

DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

JD Spydo wrote: You will love the SE TASMAN SALT >> but when you get the hang of using it then go up the ladder to the Harpy and Spyderhawk>> you will be glad you did ;)
You know... if only the Spyderhawk was serrated - and still produced... a new hawkbill along those size lines is VERY intriguing as an all purpose blade.

Dan

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

My Spyderhawk is serrated...I really should grab a Tasman to keep it company one of these days.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

Oops, confused it with the SuperHawk.

Still, a SpyderHawk would be excellent... Maybe a Hawkbill Military, now THAT could be awesome.

Dan

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DansGunBlog wrote:@Evil D - no replacement yet?
Surprisingly no, not sure why, just too many models in the way I suppose. I was real close to picking one up just a few days ago but I got suckered into a ZT0303 for $80 so I had to jump on that. Then I finally got around to getting a SE H1 Dragonfly. It may be next on my list.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:@Evil D - no replacement yet?
Surprisingly no, not sure why, just too many models in the way I suppose. I was real close to picking one up just a few days ago but I got suckered into a ZT0303 for $80 so I had to jump on that. Then I finally got around to getting a SE H1 Dragonfly. It may be next on my list.
EVIL as much as you like that H-1 Dragonfly you'll love that TASMAN Salt SE :cool: As I've said before I do like the Harpy just a tad bit better for a few reasons and mainly for extra ridgidity and a little bit thicker blade that I tend to have confidence in.

If they ever get that G-10 Harpy going again I'll probably take on two extra jobs so I can get about 15 to 20 of them. Because since I got my other one ripped off I will never let that happen again>> that is being without a G-10 Harpy that is :cool:

To me the G-10 Harpy is the greatest companion blade Spyderco ever produced unless someone could convince me otherwise.

NO!! I'm sorry EVIL I know what you're thinking :D I will never pick a Dragonfly over a Harpy EVER!!! NEVER!! Now you see I just put it in writing :D But I will agree with you that a Dragonfly sized Hawkbill would truly be interesting to say the least and I would love to give that blade a try if it ever comes to fruition. Interesting thread please keep it going :cool: