Caly 3 fans

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Re: Caly 3 fans

Post by gull wing »

UK Pin is a light and easy to handle knife, carries like nothing is there. Not much difference from the Caly(except for the lock).
Pictures as promised.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

PayneTrain wrote: Huh, yeah I suppose it can't really be much bigger. I really do have to try one out. Honestly I was ready for whichever Super Blue Caly I could grab, and it just so happened to be the 3 and I really like the size. I'll have to get back to you on that offer, with my schedule for the next couple months. If I'm on here, I'm procrastinating on something. This blizzard couldn't have come at a better time. I'm in the area they think is going to get hit the hardest, so with a little luck I'm sleeping in tomorrow! :D
Hope the storm was just bad enough to allow you to sleep in :p .

I recently measured my Caly 3 and 3.5, and if y'all will forgive me for quoting myself, it's a lot easier than copying all those measurements ( "I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation."—Oscar Wilde... Yeah, I know, I'm no Oscar Wilde.....thank God!):
DougC-3 wrote:I think my Caly 3.5 ZDP-189 was the sharpest new knife I ever saw. Had a little prob with carbon fiber dust in the pivot, but after I cleaned that out, I tested it by holding it horizontal and depressing the lock, and the blade swung down and nicked my finger (ouch :eek: ). The ZDP model is about a third of a mm thinner than the G-10 model, and at first I was a little leery of the slick scales, but soon I liked that and the thinness because of the way your fingers wrap all the way around it, and the ergos make it very secure in your hand. The blade on my 3.5 model is a little longer than my Manix blades, and it really disappears in your pocket with its deep carry clip (especially if you get the dark, anodized Sage/Chaparral clip). The handle of the 3.5 is less than a quarter of an inch longer than that of the 3. The Caly's are definitely in my all time top 5 Spydies, probably top 3. But the Caly 3.0 Super Blue is my favorite Caly:

The 3.0 is great for paring fruit and it's fun to watch the Super Blue patinate right before your eyes. You need to get you one of these too ;) If you get too much patina, just peel a few of those panhandle pears and the stone cells will grind off some of it.

I really regret missing out on the 3.5 Super Blue. I wish I could find a used one before they get in the priceless category.

The 3 is better for peeling fruit and the 3.5 is better for slicing fruit, so you need to carry both at all times ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I favor the 3 over the 3.5. It just feels better to me in hand and in pocket. I have both super blues (and VG-10s and ZDPs) and have unofficially retired the 3.5. The only ones left in my carry rotation are the Caly 3 Super Blue and Caly 3 CF/ZDP.

Also, for those of you that don't know, the G-10 Super Blue and the G-10 VG-10 versions are pretty awesome versions. I would put them at an equal level with the CF/ZDP version if not a little higher than CF/ZDP.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

ManixFan wrote: That bolstered Damascus Caly 3 is one beautiful knife! I only hope that Spyderco follows up with the same design in a Sprint for the Caly 3.5!
The Damascus Caly 3 in on Bento Box :D if you want to pay exactly MSRP. :mad: Bento box is always high on the harder to get Spyderco's. I guess they figure they will sell sooner or later and they are right. I became aware of them when they were selling the M4 Manix2. Since then I've notices a few knives I've wanted but the price was more than I wanted to pay or could afford. I remember a Kiwi (locking) with mother of pearl inlays that I wanted. I was even somewhat happy with the price because I wanted the knife. Then I looked at the Spyderco site and saw the BBS price was higher than the MSRP. Suddenly I felt like the price was too high. That's when I realized my opinion of price being too high or not is based on if I want the knife or not. It has nothing to do with how much it costs to make a knife with a particular handle material (for example) and me knowing the different costs. I may like a handle material because it is gorgeous and makes for a great feeling handle and is extremly durable etc. I may be willing to pay the same price for that knife as I would for the same knife with a different handle material that is much more expensive to the manufacturer. The biggest difference in which I purchase is how much profit the manufacturer makes. I guess this is how knife "users" value the price of knives. "Collectors" OTOH will know more about the re-sell value, availability, etc. of different knives and that is a big consideration when buying or selling knives. The thing is I would buy the Caly 3 damascus blade on BBS if I were in a different money bracket. And sometimes the price being good or too high is based on what a person is used to seeing. When I started looking at higher priced (oops, I meant higher quality :)) knives I was shocked and horrified. I didn't see myself ever paying $60 for a single knife. Now, even though my financial status hasn't changed I've gotten a lot of knives that cost a lot more than I ever thought I'd pay for a knife. I'm sure a lot of us have experience the exact same thing. So far I haven't paid $300 for a knife. But if the money was plentiful I might be tempted to break that mark and then some for the CF, Damascus Caly 3. :) The handle looks rounder on the sides. I bet it's comfortable to use.

Jack
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

jackknifeh wrote:When I started looking at higher priced (oops, I meant higher quality :)) knives I was shocked and horrified. I didn't see myself ever paying $60 for a single knife. Now, even though my financial status hasn't changed I've gotten a lot of knives that cost a lot more than I ever thought I'd pay for a knife. I'm sure a lot of us have experience the exact same thing.
That's me... especially the "financial status hasn't changed" part (except for the worse in my case) ;)
So far I haven't paid $300 for a knife. But if the money was plentiful I might be tempted to break that mark and then some for the CF, Damascus Caly 3. :) The handle looks rounder on the sides. I bet it's comfortable to use.

Jack
I'm sure that's true, but it may not wash as an excuse to buy the knife, unless it's going to be a hard use knife ;) :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

gull wing wrote:UK Pin is a light and easy to handle knife, carries like nothing is there. Not much difference from the Caly(except for the lock).
Pictures as promised.
For a long time I really wanted one of these in foliage green... then I decided what I really wanted was the Urban in foliage green... why is what I want at a given time always selling for $250 at that time :confused: :(
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Jack,

I am totally with you. I struggle between the 3 and the 3.5 in the Caly line. I love them both, but it's like choosing a favorite child. For me, the extra reach is nice on the 3.5, but when I carry my Military, I pair it with the Caly 3 because it has more belly over the 3.5 brother.

I do love the UKPK as well for the same reasons. Beautiful ergos and a terrific, compact overall package.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*