AUS-8 vs. AUS 8A

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
euphorbioid

AUS-8 vs. AUS 8A

Post by euphorbioid »

I recently came across 2 C28PBK Dragonflys, one with AUS-8 and one with AUS-8A on the other. Are these the same metal? If so, why the different labeling on the blades? I have one other piece with AUS-8A, a C08SBK Merlin. Thanks for any help provided. Jan
euphorbioid

Re: AUS-8 vs. AUS 8A

Post by euphorbioid »

Found this on knifeup.com: "AUS-8a is almost the same thing as AUS-8. It is often called 8a steel as well. What differs AUS-8a from AUS-8 is that it has been heat treated. They are the same steel with the same makeup of metals however. Both AUS8 and AUS8a are very similar to the 440 line of steels. The 440 line is made by an American company whereas the AUS line is made by a Japanese company. Some AUS steel is made in China."

Found this on coldsteelforums.com: "With the rolling of the steel to make it into bar stock, stress is induced in the steel. To relieve this stress, the steel is heated to a certain temperature and left to cool. This is called annealing.

This process makes the steel soft again and its structure homogenous. Among other things this will help prevent warping during the hardening process.

If this is hard to understand, imagine a guy who wants to get into shape. He comes from the office (also sometimes called mill) and is all stiff from working (or being worked) all day. So before training (hardening process) he has to warm-up in order to get his muscles ready.

So you can get your steel from Aichi either stressed (AUS-8) or already relaxed (AUS-8A)."

Guess I answered my own question, assuming all this is true. Anybody know for sure?
Did Spyderco prefer on or the other back in the 90s when these knives were made?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Maybe it's just me but I always liked AUS-8 in Spyderedged folders and I did have one fixed blade AUS-8 which was the original Bob Lum fixed blade which has recently been redone in VG-10.. I also had a couple of the Japan made Native models with AUS-10 and it was decent steel as well.

But I never liked anything with AUS-6 at all. The original Japan made Meerkat had that steel which is why I always liked the Golden, CO USA EArth made model much better with 440C.

But my original, early 90s model, full Spyderedged Catcherman that is AUS-8 bladed remains one of my all time favorite kitchen and outdoor blades>> I doubt if I will ever part with it.

Again it's blades with a "toughness" reputation that seem to make the best Spyderedged blades for some reason.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

From Wikipedia...
AUS series

The AUS stainless steel series is produced by Aichi Steel Corporation, Japan. They differ from the AISI 4xx series because they have vanadium added to them. Vanadium improves the wear resistance, toughness, and ease of sharpening. In the alloy name the appended 'A' indicates the alloy has been annealed.

AUS-6 (6A) is comparable to 440A with a carbon content close to 0.65%.
It is a low cost steel, slightly higher wear resistance compared to 420J.

AUS-8 (8A) is comparable to 440B with a carbon content close to 0.75%.
AUS-8 is often used instead of 440C.

AUS-10 (10A) is comparable to 440C with a carbon content close to 1.10%.
It is slightly tougher than 440C.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Sal and A. G. Russel have dealt directly with the manufacturer and note that AUS-8 and 8A are the same steel, one is short hand for the other. AUS-8A looks to be a combination of two terms incorrectly.

There is also the idea that the A refers to the steel being annealed after the rolling, and some makers (Terry Primos) have claimed that AUS-8A is a different grade of steel just as AUS-8W is another grade.

As Sal deals directly with the manufacturer, it is the closest answer to the direct source outside of a materials composition analysis.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Like Cliff mentioned, at least within the world of Spyderco products one is the same as the other.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

How long has it been since Spyderco even used AUS-8 or 8A in any of their cutlery>> it did seem like the knife blade on one of the Spyderenchs was made with AUS-8 but other than that I can't remember them using any since maybe the late 90s or early 2000s. I'm willing to bet that the first run of the LUM fixed blade tanto was probably the last production knife I know of that they used AUS-8 with.

If they ever did a BYRD version of the CAtcherman in full SE it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they would elect to use AUS-8 for a fully serrated fillet knife. Because I won't part with my full SE, AUS-8 Catcherman for anything. It does make a good blade steel for full Spyderedges IMO
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've heard both . I do know that Cliff is correct in there being an Aus 8W with a bit of tungsten just as there is a VG10W. One of Spydercos older line of kitchen knives was made using aus8w. It's a bread knife maybe (?).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Mastiff wrote:I've heard both . I do know that Cliff is correct in there being an Aus 8W with a bit of tungsten just as there is a VG10W. One of Spydercos older line of kitchen knives was made using aus8w. It's a bread knife maybe (?).
Pretty sure you're thinking of the Sashimi Knife, Joe. At least that's what this post of Sal's suggests, although he never actually calls it AUS-8W and mine has no steel markings, so I can't say for sure.

OTOH, while it may only represent a misprint or miscommunication of some kind, I could swear I've seen, and am fairly certain I own, at least one Spyderco marked AUS-8A.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

See this thread from August 17th, 2010:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 9&p=658518

Here are the two posts from Sal clarifying:
sal wrote:Aichi Foundry makes a steel called AUS-8. Some of the makers call it 8A for short. There is no AUS-8A.

sal
sal wrote:...

Any Spyderco's marked AUS-8A was in error. Probably a misunderstanding.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bengaiser wrote:See this thread from August 17th, 2010:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 9&p=658518

Here are the two posts from Sal clarifying:
sal wrote:Aichi Foundry makes a steel called AUS-8. Some of the makers call it 8A for short. There is no AUS-8A.

sal
sal wrote:...

Any Spyderco's marked AUS-8A was in error. Probably a misunderstanding.

sal
Thanks for finding that! I was too lazy to open up a couple hundred knives to check the steel markings, but I didn't trust my memory either.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

I specifically remembered reading that thread all those years ago and being surprised. It didn't seem like the kind of mistake that would make it past the production sample phase to me. I guess when they are so excited to be bringing all the new designs and technology to market the tiny text can sometimes be overlooked.

If you ever wanted to update the wiki with a complete list of 8A stamped models you would still need to open up all those boxes :p
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

Of the 30 knives I have made of AUS-8, three are labeled AUS-8A. Not too common I guess. They are C08SBK Merlin, C11SBK Delica and C28PBK Dragonfly.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I also have one of the AUS-8A Gen 1 Delicas
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The AUS-8 and 8A are the same, they are not different steels, but perhaps have a different heat treatment technique. It is a Japanese equivalent to 440A, which is a better steel than many give it credit for with a proper heat treatment, but old fashioned. It is no super steel.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0

according to ZKnives, 8A is 8 that's delivered in annealed form
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Relating to Spyderco knives, Sal cleared it up 6 years ago.

If it's not related to Spyderco (likely as they stopped using AUS8 years ago) I would be pretty sure by doing additional research. You can etch almost anything into almost anything...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Blerv wrote:Relating to Spyderco knives, Sal cleared it up 6 years ago.
Do you have a link to that post/article? I'd like to know about the wide vs narrow clips as well..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Blerv wrote:Relating to Spyderco knives, Sal cleared it up 6 years ago.
Do you have a link to that post/article? I'd like to know about the wide vs narrow clips as well..
Sorry no. I just saw the quote above someone shared.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

That's ok. One day i will find it myself ;)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.