Karahawk without the ring?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

Karahawk without the ring?

Post by spyderHS08 »

What's up everyone,

I was just playing around with my new to me karahawk that came this week and love the feel, looks and shape of the knife all around but I am curious if any of you have done or seen one that has had the ring ground off of the end of the handle? I think this would still make a cool little knife. Nice medium size carry and ultra slim, yet still has a quick draw wave function with a razor sharp hawkbill blade. I know some will say this defeats the purpose of a karambit knife but again, I'm just curious. And who's to say I can't always order another and have one each way! ;)
Any thoughts, photos or edited photos (of a removed ring) would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Harrison

A quick snap of the karahawk and my new HD-7, both showed up Friday! :D
Razzle

Re: Karahawk without the ring?

Post by Razzle »

I like the way you think...the grip and blade shape of the Karambit work for me, but never liked the ring.
Matt
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Razzle wrote:I like the way you think...the grip and blade shape of the Karambit work for me, but never liked the ring.
Thanks brother! Sort of my same thoughts here.

Guess there is no other love for the karahawk out there lol
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I like the idea, but I think the Karahawk is perfect for a defensive weapon, and for my uses, it wouldn't make a great EDC blade. I really wanted to pick one up, but I heard Sal was working on a reinforced ring version. Does the ring feel like it would bend? I really love everything about it, but I'd like a stronger ring. I'd like to see the Karahawk without the ring if anyone is willing to do it to their own knife! :)

Matt
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Get rid of the ring and wave, and it's a nice little hawkbill. Just do it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

MattM68 wrote:I like the idea, but I think the Karahawk is perfect for a defensive weapon, and for my uses, it wouldn't make a great EDC blade. I really wanted to pick one up, but I heard Sal was working on a reinforced ring version. Does the ring feel like it would bend? I really love everything about it, but I'd like a stronger ring. I'd like to see the Karahawk without the ring if anyone is willing to do it to their own knife! :)

Matt
I have one. The liners of the ring do bend if you push them together, but I've practiced striking with the ring and haven't had any durability issues.

Here are a few mockups of the Karahawk with no ring and wave.

spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Doesn't look too bad there milkman! Thanks

And Matt as he said the rings are sturdy. You can force them together if you try but they'll never touch each other or bend under regular use. Even as an impact tool I can't see that causing them to bend either as the force would be at the butt of the rings and not on one side. It's a great little knife.