Caly 3 fans

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Caly 3 fans

Post by jackknifeh »

Had the Caly 3 for several days now. I have to say this knife just feels good to use. Of course less than one week or so isn't a long time but so far the love is still there. Not the new knife love. A few months ago there was a thread (poll) on the knife CARRIED the most. I've heard there are people in the world who only own one pocket knife. :) But most people on this forum own several or more. Importantly they have several "users" that they have to choose from every day. The poll results the last time I remember said the Caly 3 was favored by a significant number of people. These are people who have the option of carrying all sorts of knives. That struck a cord with me and the Caly 3 went from a knife I had considered for a long time but then it moved up on my list a bit. Recently I was hoping to get a Michael Walker on ebay but the price went up above my limit. As a result of unbelievable generosity by an unbelievably generous forum member I was able to now own a Michael Walker. Since I had lost the Michael Walker on ebay I went ahead and got the Caly 3. BTW, I got it for a good deal on ebay and now the same seller has them listed for less. $116 I think. Well he did the other day. It's just funny how things work out so we end up with a particular knife. :) If the price of the Michael Walker hadn't gone up so high I might have ended up with that one and no Caly 3. Too late to make a long story short so I'll just say the Caly 3 is a knife everyone should move up a notch or two on your wish list. Of course everyone has heard that about a lot of knives. I've even said it about other knives and now the Caly 3 is the one I'm saying it about. You Caly 3 users may want to tell what you like about it for the people who haven't tried one yet.

It's the perfect size for me. For the best EDC anything larger is just not needed (for my needs). I usually carry a larger knife but a 3" or smaller blade is all I normally need. The quality is Spyderco. It feels good to use. Ergos I mean. If you don't have one I think you should get one. :)

Jack
jmh58

Re: Caly 3 fans

Post by jmh58 »

Had the SB sprint.. Sold it.. Liked the ergos not the steel!! That's just me!! Looking to get a Caly 3.5 sometime in the future though.. G-10!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

IMO one word could describe Caly3 : " spydernomics ".Ergos are fantastic.I own 4 CF Caly3's in ZDP189 and 2 in Superblue.Organic and elegant blade shape,perfect size for EDC.Enough said !
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I really like the Caly series. My SB 3.5 has been my most carried knife since I got it a few years ago. It takes very little space in the pocket and disappears with the deep ride wire clip. I prefer the extra length of the 3.5, but the 3 is more office friendly and is also the one when I am restricted to a shorter knife.

Here is a pic from last summer of my 3 and 3.5 SB
calysSB.jpg
LC Kid

Caly: Best Spyderco Family!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I'm in! :)

The Calys are the best Spyderco Knives family By Far, at least for me. In each and every one of their variants.

Actually the Caly 3 might has the best ever size/weight/length for a pocket knife. You may like something larger, but thats just your liking.

I was lucky enough to get the SB Bros 3 & 3.5 back then. I just love those blades. :D

And the CF ZDP-189 versions truly are the best incarnations of these superb blades. :cool:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I appreciate you Caly 3 carriers who try to make other people feel like their life isn't meaningless. You say how much you like the Caly 3 (or 3.5) and indicate that some other people may not feel the same due to personal preference or whatever. The thing is you and I (Caly owners) know how wrong they are. We know that if they are happy going through life being WRONG it's their choice. Those of us who have owned and used Caly's for a long long time (5 days for me :)) know the true meaning of pocket knife happiness. I suppose a break should be given to those who haven't tried a Caly yet. But anyone who has tried it and decided it isn't the best knife in the world for everyone including them is WRONG! And if they can live with being WRONG I guess we have to live with them being WRONG as well. :)

Ok, ok, enough of that. The Caly 3 is a nice knife. I don't know if I'll try the 3.5 though. I already have a couple of great knives to fill the larger knife size category for EDC. Yes, they are just as nice as the Caly 3 too. :) GB for one. Stretch and Dyad sprint for a couple others. Some people may think I'm WRONG for thinking those are nice knives. That's ok. I'd rather be WRONG than not have them. :)

Jack
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I carried G10/VG10 Caly3 daily for over four years, since the day I received it, when they came out in September of 2006 until I received Caly3.5. I love both knives, but Caly3.5 is little better for me due to a longer blade. I was very happy with Caly3, but always wanted a little longer blade. Now as long as I can carry 3.5 blade, there is no way back. About a year ago I carried Caly3 for about a week and than put it back in a storage. Still IMHO Caly3 is one of the best EDCs, if you prefer 3" blades. I really love everything about it. I just love caly 3.5 more :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I love that picture, PanChango.

I am a proud owner of a Caly 3 in Super Blue. I hunted it down for months before finally scoring one on ebay for an average price, but I am glad I did. It's such a nice knife in a nice size as well. I hope to try a 3.5 some day, but I'm in no rush.

The 3 is very pocket friendly, and easily tucks itself well out of the way. The shape can be deceiving, leading one to believe that the hump above the Spyder hole is larger than average when the Caly 3 is actually slimmer than a lot of knives when closed. When opened, it just feels so nice and that's when that hump comes into play in the best of ways.

You can't go wrong with any version, but I chose this to be my introduction to Super Blue (actually that's a lie, I had the Ladybug long before this, so this was my introduction to solid Super Blue). There are plenty of threads on how great this stuff is, but perhaps the best part is the patina that's forming right now which makes me glad that it's solid Super Blue rather than laminated. I hope they do that more often in the future.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I had a Caly 3 SB but sold it because I found it too small compared to my Caly 3.5 SB. The funny thing is, I love my UKPK's which are about the same size as the Caly 3 but the size doesn't bother me. I don't know why, but that's the way it is.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Got Caly 3 as soon as they were available, same with the Caly 3.5. Great knife by Moki, extremely well built.
Somehow I just couldn't get comfortable with the handling. The backend of the handle was heavy, just out of balance to my taste.

I do like the UK Pen however, nice and light and made in Golden. I have ptc's, but photobucket won't come up.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

PayneTrain wrote: The 3 is very pocket friendly, and easily tucks itself well out of the way.
Caly3.5 closed is about the same size with Caly3.
If you want I can lend you mine for a week or two, so you will be able to compare. No SB, only VG10 variant. Can meet halfway, after blizzard. :)
Stay warm
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Great thread and glad it got started!
Couldn't agree more with much of what has been said here!

My Caly 3 is one of my favorite go-to EDC's!
Fits comfortably in any of my pants and even more so comfortably in my hand!!!
SpydErgonomics!!!

If anyone else here is looking to get rid of any of their Calys in Super Blue PLEASE let me know! Would love to try out a 3.5.

Love my Lava now too, which IMO is like the baby brother to the Caly, and I've been searching for a 3.5 I want for a reasonable price but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Going back to Caly.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Love the Caly"s, my cf 3.5 is a constant companion. Love the 3 as well but at times the extra length comes in handy. Thanks Sal and company.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:
PayneTrain wrote: The 3 is very pocket friendly, and easily tucks itself well out of the way.
If you want I can lend you mine for a week or two, so you will be able to compare. No SB, only VG10 variant. Can meet halfway, after blizzard. :)
Stay warm
Roman's so right. I happen to like the proportions of the Caly 3 visually more than the Caly 3.5, but they are so close to the same size that I would almost swear that Sal got a dispensation from the laws of physics when he designed the truly excellent 3.5. :spyder:
remnar

Post by remnar »

The Caly design bites! :eek:

Seriously, the only spyder bites that I have received were from my CF Caly 3 and my new UKPK (which I consider to be a non-locking Caly). Is this a bad thing? I don't know but you better keep your eye on them whenever there's any possibility of contact with the blade. It might be that they're just such awesome slicers that they can't help themselves. :D In any case, the CF Caly 3 has been my most carried knife and is just about perfect for most of my needs. I do own a Caly 3.5 and I know that it is ALMOST the same size as the 3, but I do notice the difference in-pocket and don't think it gives me any advantage for most of MY daily cutting tasks.

You might notice the lack of a VG-10 PE Caly 3, and if you know how I can remedy this, then please let me know. ;)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

bh49 wrote:
Stay warm
Huh, yeah I suppose it can't really be much bigger. I really do have to try one out. Honestly I was ready for whichever Super Blue Caly I could grab, and it just so happened to be the 3 and I really like the size. I'll have to get back to you on that offer, with my schedule for the next couple months. If I'm on here, I'm procrastinating on something. This blizzard couldn't have come at a better time. I'm in the area they think is going to get hit the hardest, so with a little luck I'm sleeping in tomorrow! :D
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

remnar wrote:The Caly design bites! :eek:

Seriously, the only spyder bites that I have received were from my CF Caly 3 and my new UKPK (which I consider to be a non-locking Caly). Is this a bad thing? I don't know but you better keep your eye on them whenever there's any possibility of contact with the blade. It might be that they're just such awesome slicers that they can't help themselves. :D In any case, the CF Caly 3 has been my most carried knife and is just about perfect for most of my needs. I do own a Caly 3.5 and I know that it is ALMOST the same size as the 3, but I do notice the difference in-pocket and don't think it gives me any advantage for most of MY daily cutting tasks.

You might notice the lack of a VG-10 PE Caly 3, and if you know how I can remedy this, then please let me know. ;)
That's a nice Caly collection Remnar. PM inbound.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

remnar wrote:The Caly design bites! :eek:

That bolstered Damascus Caly 3 is one beautiful knife! I only hope that Spyderco follows up with the same design in a Sprint for the Caly 3.5!
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
remnar

Post by remnar »

ManixFan wrote:
That bolstered Damascus Caly 3 is one beautiful knife! I only hope that Spyderco follows up with the same design in a Sprint for the Caly 3.5!
A Damascus Caly 3.5! That would definitely be on my must get list. :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

remnar wrote:
ManixFan wrote:
A Damascus Caly 3.5! That would definitely be on my must get list. :spyder:
I've got my fingers crossed that this will happen.

@liquid_cobra