Would you rather have...(quantity vs quality)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shunsui

Re: Would you rather have...(quantity vs quality)?

Post by shunsui »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'd rather have a lot of high end knives....:D
I think Chuck is on to something here. :)
mark jeneson

Post by mark jeneson »

Two high end Spydies…Slysz Bowie and K2! Which is exactly what I'm doing with my spare $500!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Option E: all of above. :p
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'd rather have a lot of high end knives....:D
+1
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

It is not about quality or quantity it is about value, and experience. Buy, try, evaluate and learn and evolve. There are great custom knives at retail price. There are great commercial knives at a fraction of the cost of customs. The key point is trying or using and testing the piece. The evolution of a design depends on appreciation of the user. Every knife is a learning tool. It all depends on what you want and your abilities to incorporate the design into your life style. Experience is the greatest teacher. How we incorporate our experience into life is wisdom....Take Care...Ed
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just depends on what I already have. At this point aside from a Kiwi 4 I'm at my goal for Spydies this year, so I would probably look at more sharpening equipment or a custom.
BTG

Post by BTG »

3 in the 150-200 range...most the time, high end spydie once in a while.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I'd rather get the next 5 or 6 mule team blades over any one knife. If the mule project was scrapped tomorrow, though, I'd probably have to buy a southfork type fixed blade (or the Temperance 2 in clad super blue if it ever comes to fruition), an all around folder like the military, some kind of short fat blade like an Esee 3, and then the tomahawk.

My edc would be the short fat fixed blade plus the light and slicey folder with bigger fixed blade and hatchet on standby in my truck.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Since I am concentrating on building my Spyderco specific collection I would find a way to maximize that $500. To do that I spread the dollar values fairly wide, but choose very specific knives. The last 500 I've spent on Spydercos are as follows: Peter Herbst for $130, Rubicon for $300, and the Cruwear Manix 2 for $170. I have gravitated towards Spydercos in the 200+ range, but also try to enjoy a good ol' Endura from time to time.

That being said, I am also on the pre-order list for the Southard Tolk.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
acer

Post by acer »

After playing this game for a few years now , and after trying a large selection of the spyderco models you kind of home in on your likes and dislikes, and become focused on the models that work for you. I enjoy my 85 quid stretch as much as 245 quid southard, but random buying is now in the past , so getting the models that meet my criitera,may come into the quality over quantity senero, but an upper price limit is an important part of my knife buying system. Still having fun . Acer :D
babtron

Post by babtron »

Well, with my new found love of the Squeak, I'd buy a backup to my black FRN, two Pink FRN and then rest on the upcoming Sprint :)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I would also go for the High end spyderco models.
In the past i bought the delica's , tenacious ,....
But i found out that my heart wants the Big Boys.. :D
I must say the pm2 and manix 2 would also be included in my shopping bag.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have found if a knife is too much money, I won't use it, but if it doesn't feel special enough, I may not want to, either.
I'm gravitating towards beaters and mid-range, and selling off the jewellery.
PWork

Post by PWork »

The way I see it is I can have both quantity and quality with FRN. I know a lot of people don't care for "those cheap plastic handles", but I love the stuff. :cool:
Paul
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Don't normally go by price all that much.

I have to like the model before I would even consider buying it in the 1st place.

It could cost $100 or $500 or more, doesn't really matter.

I don't just buy knives just to buy knives personally.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's a very easy question for me to address>> I will take QUALITY over Quantity any time :cool: Which is one of the reasons that Spyderco appeals to me so much as their products do. Their sharpening equipment is just as high quality as their super cutlery products are.

It's kind of like when I used to invest in stocks>> I had a very wealthy old customer who was a wiz at investing tell me " I Would Rather Own A Little Bit Of Something RAther Than A Huge Quantity of Nothing". Also I can't stress enough of the old adage "You Get What You Pay For">> Everyone is looking for a bargain>> the truth is that there are very few true bargains out there>> there is a reason that something is cheap!! Yeah it's because it's not worth much.

Now occasionally you can get lucky and snag a nice blade or any quality item for that matter at a very low price>> I've found out over the years that is the "exception" and not the "rule".

I could give so many testimonies of things I've experienced in life that have taught me the lesson over and over " You most usually get what you pay for". And the truth is>> most cheap items end up being horribly expensive. What is better? The old 440V SE Native that I discovered was truly a high quality "diamond in the rough" and having it last me over a decade or buying a cheap folder at Rip-Mart and end up buying it over and over again several times.

That's how the Rip-Mart people got to be multi-billionaires>> they just sold the same old crap over and over again to people who thought they were getting a bargain>> Let The Buyer Beware. Get it Right the First Time>> it's a helluva lot cheaper in the long run by far. JD :spyder: O
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Quality
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:It's a very easy question for me to address>> I will take QUALITY over Quantity any time :cool: Which is one of the reasons that Spyderco appeals to me so much as their products do. Their sharpening equipment is just as high quality as their super cutlery products are.

It's kind of like when I used to invest in stocks>> I had a very wealthy old customer who was a wiz at investing tell me " I Would Rather Own A Little Bit Of Something RAther Than A Huge Quantity of Nothing". Also I can't stress enough of the old adage "You Get What You Pay For">> Everyone is looking for a bargain>> the truth is that there are very few true bargains out there>> there is a reason that something is cheap!! Yeah it's because it's not worth much.

Now occasionally you can get lucky and snag a nice blade or any quality item for that matter at a very low price>> I've found out over the years that is the "exception" and not the "rule".

I could give so many testimonies of things I've experienced in life that have taught me the lesson over and over " You most usually get what you pay for". And the truth is>> most cheap items end up being horribly expensive. What is better? The old 440V SE Native that I discovered was truly a high quality "diamond in the rough" and having it last me over a decade or buying a cheap folder at Rip-Mart and end up buying it over and over again several times.

That's how the Rip-Mart people got to be multi-billionaires>> they just sold the same old crap over and over again to people who thought they were getting a bargain>> Let The Buyer Beware. Get it Right the First Time>> it's a helluva lot cheaper in the long run by far. JD :spyder: O
It's for the most part true I think and something I try and explain to people in general when they buy stuff.

Is it better to buy something once and have it last for a very long time?

Or

Is it better to have to buy a cheaper version of the item multiple times over the years.

I always use the car tire example. :)

Some will go in and buy those low end cheap junk trash tires that will wear out in a year or so or say around 15K to 20K miles so they have to buy new ones almost yearly.

Others will buy better tires that will last 50K to 70K miles and might have to replace them once every 4 or 5 years.

And that's just talking about treat wear, not even getting into how well they do in bad weather or on wet roads.

In the end typically a person will end up spending more buying the cheap ones over time than the better quality ones.

As an example I run Michelin LTX M/s2 on my Jeep SUV 4WD.

Instead of some $80 tire.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:It's a very easy question for me to address>> I will take QUALITY over Quantity any time :cool: Which is one of the reasons that Spyderco appeals to me so much as their products do. Their sharpening equipment is just as high quality as their super cutlery products are.

It's for the most part true I think and something I try and explain to people in general when they buy stuff.

Or

Is it better to have to buy a cheaper version of the item multiple times over the years.

Some will go in and buy those low end cheap junk trash tires that will wear out in a year or so or say around 15K to 20K miles so they have to buy new ones almost yearly.

Others will buy better tires that will last 50K to 70K miles and might have to replace them once every 4 or 5 years.

And that's just talking about treat wear, not even getting into how well they do in bad weather or on wet roads.

In the end typically a person will end up spending more buying the cheap ones over time than the better quality ones.

Excellent comparison there Ankerson ;) Another super point you make in that comparison is the "Safety Aspect" as well as overall performance. Oh yeah I'm on the same page you're on for sure. As with the tire comparison you make >> the tires you ride on doing high speeds with can get you there safely and efficiently or worse case scenerio is that they can KILL YOU!!

I think Spyderco's super high quality items are also safer to use as well. I've never had one of their folders ever fail on me or one of the blade locks ever fail me>> and when you think about it that's a safety aspect that like your tire comparison points out is worth a lot more than any monetary value you can put on it.

You bet!! Quality wins big in the long run. As I said before >> there are not very many "true bargains" to be had in life. What most people perceive to be bargains end up biting them like a snake at some point. Also most companies that make quality a high priority also seem to also have a lot of integrity as I know for a fact that Spyderco does.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Or

Excellent comparison there Ankerson ;) Another super point you make in that comparison is the "Safety Aspect" as well as overall performance. Oh yeah I'm on the same page you're on for sure. As with the tire comparison you make >> the tires you ride on doing high speeds with can get you there safely and efficiently or worse case scenerio is that they can KILL YOU!!

I think Spyderco's super high quality items are also safer to use as well. I've never had one of their folders ever fail on me or one of the blade locks ever fail me>> and when you think about it that's a safety aspect that like your tire comparison points out is worth a lot more than any monetary value you can put on it.

You bet!! Quality wins big in the long run. As I said before >> there are not very many "true bargains" to be had in life. What most people perceive to be bargains end up biting them like a snake at some point. Also most companies that make quality a high priority also seem to also have a lot of integrity as I know for a fact that Spyderco does.
Tires are something that I DO pay attention to as in what other cars etc are running for MY OWN SAFETY, I see a lot of worn out tires on vehicles around my area. I can't believe what people are running on and with kids in the vehicles too, it can be mind blowing sometimes.

A lot of cheap tires also so I leave a rather large gap between me and them on the HWY I can tell you, I like to stay far away of most of the other drivers whenever possible.