SE question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xinam

SE question

Post by xinam »

I notice that the serrations are ground on the "show side" of the blade. To me that is perfect if you are left handed, as the wedge of the serration lifts material up and away from the edge. If you're right handed however (I am and believe most knife consumers are) when cutting down and away as you would safely do the wedge of the serration lifts the edge into the cut and tends to stall the blade easier. This holds true in woodworking with chisels, its just easier to flip a chisel. I'm thinking that a lefty would experience better edge retention while cutting small saplings for example than a right handed person because of reduced side loading of the apex?

My question is, would it make sense to offer the serration ground on either side?

Makes sense to me, Any thoughts?
stalag2

Re: SE question

Post by stalag2 »

I like serrations though you are all right, they are somehow ground for show and would benefit a lot to be ground on the right side for right handed peeps.
Sal stated that ground on the left, they reduce steering for right handed use.
To me most of the chisel and serrated hate comes from them being ground backward...
Would be nice to push a sprint run with right sided ground serrations at least we could try and choose.
sal

Post by sal »

The concern was that steerage to the left for right handed users could be a safety issue as the knife would veer to the hand holding the object to be cut. We did some research with edges ground on both sides before going into production. These are not chisels and are not used the same way.

sal
xinam

Post by xinam »

My apologies Mr. Glesser. I didn't mean to imply this wasn't a thought out decision, obviously it was. That's a great explanation, safety is paramount.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm pretty sure looks are the main reason they're ground that way. Besides, they're not really chisel ground, only the edge grind is on one side only, the primary grind is on both sides. I'm left handed and have never had a Spyderco kitchen knife or folder with serrations on the left side of the blade wander toward my right hand while slicing with them. If you doubt me, try finding one of the older serrated LH Spyderco folders and use it for a while. The serrations on them are on the right side.
FWIW, most folders that are truly chisel ground (where the one side is simply an extension of the tang) are also ground "for show". I'm guessing that having them ground correctly probably doesn't matter 99% of the time. Certain types of food prep would be the other 1%, which may be why the only "correct" chisel grinds I'm aware of are on Japanese kitchen knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
paladin

Post by paladin »

Good thread! :)

sal wrote:The concern was that steerage to the left for right handed users could be a safety issue as the knife would veer to the hand holding the object to be cut. We did some research with edges ground on both sides before going into production. These are not chisels and are not used the same way.
sal

Has there ever been a Spyderco model with serrations ground on both sides of the same blade? :confused:

I can't think of one... :o

so there must be a good reason why they're not ground that way...

edge & tooth stability?

cost?

sharpening concerns?

manufacturing headaches?

all the above? :confused:
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

The Deacon wrote:I'm pretty sure looks are the main reason they're ground that way. Besides, they're not really chisel ground, only the edge grind is on one side only, the primary grind is on both sides. I'm left handed and have never had a Spyderco kitchen knife or folder with serrations on the left side of the blade wander toward my right hand while slicing with them. If you doubt me, try finding one of the older serrated LH Spyderco folders and use it for a while. The serrations on them are on the right side.
FWIW, most folders that are truly chisel ground (where the one side is simply an extension of the tang) are also ground "for show". I'm guessing that having them ground correctly probably doesn't matter 99% of the time. Certain types of food prep would be the other 1%, which may be why the only "correct" chisel grinds I'm aware of are on Japanese kitchen knives.
I agree, though serrations look nice in the "wrong" side... :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

paladin wrote:Good thread! :)

sal wrote:The concern was that steerage to the left for right handed users could be a safety issue as the knife would veer to the hand holding the object to be cut. We did some research with edges ground on both sides before going into production. These are not chisels and are not used the same way.
sal

Has there ever been a Spyderco model with serrations ground on both sides of the same blade? :confused:

I can't think of one... :o

so there must be a good reason why they're not ground that way...

edge & tooth stability?

cost?

sharpening concerns?

manufacturing headaches?

all the above? :confused:
I'm sure manufacturing headaches would be one of the top reasons. I'd bet more SE blades fail QC than PE ones as it it, imagine trying to align the special wheels that cut the serrations exactly the same on both sides. It would be "interesting", to say the least.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As much of a Spyderedge fan as I am I've got to be forthright here and say that I've never even given much thought about why the serrations are ground to one side of the blade. They work so well for me I just took them for granted and figured the guys at the top know what they are doing and knowing Spyderco the way I do they are always looking for optimal results.

My older full SE Catcherman comes about as close as any model of I know of that sort of looks like they ground them on both sides>> but do keep in mind that is one very old model too.

Also the serration on the C-27, stag handled Jess Horn model also have the appearance of being ground completely different. But it goes back to an old adage that I've grown up believing about many issues in life>> "If It Isn't Broke Then Please Don't Try to Fix it" All I know is that Spyderco's serrations have always worked well for me most of the time I've used them. So I'm not about to suggest changing anything in that regard.

But I would like to see them bring back the Catcherman in full SE, H-1 and keep the serrations wavy and low profile just like the original AUS-8, C-17 full SE>> It truly was a Spyder Classic from that era>> and I miss it.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JD Spydo wrote:As much of a Spyderedge fan as I am I've got to be forthright here and say that I've never even given much thought about why the serrations are ground to one side of the blade. They work so well for me I just took them for granted and figured the guys at the top know what they are doing and knowing Spyderco the way I do they are always looking for optimal results.

My older full SE Catcherman comes about as close as any model of I know of that sort of looks like they ground them on both sides>> but do keep in mind that is one very old model too.

Also the serration on the C-27, stag handled Jess Horn model also have the appearance of being ground completely different. But it goes back to an old adage that I've grown up believing about many issues in life>> "If It Isn't Broke Then Please Don't Try to Fix it" All I know is that Spyderco's serrations have always worked well for me most of the time I've used them. So I'm not about to suggest changing anything in that regard.

But I would like to see them bring back the Catcherman in full SE, H-1 and keep the serrations wavy and low profile just like the original AUS-8, C-17 full SE>> It truly was a Spyder Classic from that era>> and I miss it.
Yep, same here JD. I use them all the time and never gave any thought to it. I think I'm going to stick with that technique. ;) I too am of the "not broke, don't fix it" school.