A.T.R. Titanium

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
3rdGenRigger

Re: A.T.R. Titanium

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am all over the new ATR whenever it drops!
You and me both...that sprint can't drop soon enough.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

JD Spydo wrote:
euphorbioid wrote:I didn't know the ATR came in a full Spyderedged version. Do you have a pic? I only see a C70PSTI model listed in the Spyderco Source database. This is bad news coming at a time when I thought I had all the ATR flavors. Now my OCD will kick into action.
OH yes indeed the Titanium ATR came in a full Spyderedge>>
My C70PSTI looks like the pics RadioactiveSpyder and GoldenSpydie posted. Was there a C70STI ever made? I can't find mention of one anywhere. Don't mean to push a small point but...did I mention my OCD?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I think the PITS Folder is as close as I'll get to an ATR until the much awaited ATR sprint is released. Any new news on that?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

euphorbioid wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
euphorbioid wrote:
OH yes indeed the Titanium ATR came in a full Spyderedge>>
My C70PSTI looks like the pics RadioactiveSpyder and GoldenSpydie posted. Was there a C70STI ever made? I can't find mention of one anywhere. Don't mean to push a small point but...did I mention my OCD?
Please believe me and trust me>> YES!! they did have a Spyderedged version of the Titanium ATR.. And trust me I know the major differences between the Titanium and Stainless handled ATR models>> I've had both of them in both variants.

I'm really kind of surprised that there are not some pics of one on the internet somewhere. I bet there is if you know where to look. Again the Titanium ATR was the most difficult knife I ever got my hands on even when it was supposed to be still in production.

There was also a time when the first generation of the C-60 Ayoob model was still on the main line up and the Spyderedged version of the first generation Ayoob was also a really tough model to locate at one point. But the Titanium ATR has always been a very hard Spyderco model to locate. But it does exist in Spyderedge>> I don't know the ratio of how many PE versions were made to SE>> but I'm sure someone here at the Spyderville forum knows.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

JD Spydo wrote:Please believe me and trust me>> YES!! they did have a Spyderedged version of the Titanium ATR.. And trust me I know the major differences between the Titanium and Stainless handled ATR models>> I've had both of them in both variants.
I've found some more pics of all variants of the A.T.R. in spyderedge, so Joe is right, of course:
Titanium handle http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... 0CP-Para-2
Steel handle http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -edge-SOLD
Steel handle, all black http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -black-ATR

Looking through old catalogs, the A.T.R. was shown in the years 2003-2006.
2003: Titanium, plain + spyderegde
2004: Titanium, plain + 50/50 comboedge
2005: Titanium, plain + spyderegde; steel handle, plain + spyderegde
2006: steel handle, plain + spyderegde; variants in silver and all-black

I've never seen the 2004-variant with the 50/50 comboedge anywhere. Does it really exist?!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Sounds like I might need to get on top of creating the Spydiewiki page, as there isn't one for the ATR yet. It might be a week or two as my schedule is pretty packed with work, but I'll bump the ATR to the top of my list of pages to work on.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'll tell you all what is really hard to find concerning the Titanium ATR>> and that is the little lapel pins that the Spyderco Booth used to give away at knife shows back around 2004-2005. The pins for the Dodo, Ti ATR and the red handled Endura all 3 are really tough to find.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

JD Spydo wrote:The pins for the Dodo, Ti ATR and the red handled Endura all 3 are really tough to find.
Here you go... :)

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:The pins for the Dodo, Ti ATR and the red handled Endura all 3 are really tough to find.
Here you go... :)

I'm telling you MARCUS there are very few Spyderville citizens that even realize that those pins replicating those popular models are out there in collections. I also have a couple of the Civlilian pins, The Dodo one you have pictured and at least 8 other models. I've kept all of those promotional items I've acrued over the years>> I even still have my original Spyderco MOUSEPAD still in the package it came in.

But the one representing the Ti ATR is really nice and I've even worn that one a couple of times. I've also had some of the old novelty games they used to give away as well. They don't seem to offer the promotional items like they used to.

Again I congratulate you on getting a Ti ATR :cool: It's truly in a small group of obscure/elite Spyders. Many of the early Spyderedged models are getting tough to locate as well and it's interesting to note that many long term collectors as we've seen on this thread don't even know they exist.
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

JD Spydo wrote:

Please believe me and trust me>> YES!! they did have a Spyderedged version of the Titanium ATR.. .
I do believe you, definitely. Now I need to find one. Thanks for bringing this up.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am all over the new ATR whenever it drops!
What !!! New ATR ? Did I miss something ...?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

euphorbioid wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Please believe me and trust me>> YES!! they did have a Spyderedged version of the Titanium ATR.. .
I do believe you, definitely. Now I need to find one. Thanks for bringing this up.
Well Good Luck finding one Brother because back in the mid 2000s when I was on my cosmic quest for the Ti ATR I couldn't even find one at the ALANTA, Georgia USA BLADE SHOW that year. When I finally did snag one it took me a little over a year before I was able to get one in Spyderedge>> I wish now I would have never sold those icons. But they were even rare and hard to find when they were in production :eek:

Now as far as using one I probably never would unless I found a beat up Spyderedged version because I personally haven't had that great of luck with S30V blade steel. I do however love Titanium handles>> I like them and T6061 Aircraft grade aluminum>> my Benchmade ( sorry about the language ladies :D ) model 640 Boguszewski Spike has that Aircraft Aluminum handle and I still use it on occasion. But Titanium has a grip property to it that I've not seen in any other metal handle.

If they do a Sprint of the ATR I would be willing to bet big money that they will NOT use titanium because of all the trouble they had with that model the first go around. It is a regal looking folder no doubt about that. But the folder is a bit wider than what I prefer as well.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Love the ATR! I have the SS version and drool over black and Ti versions. Marcus, you take some seriously beautiful photos! Congrats on the great knife.

Dan
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

JD Spydo wrote:They don't seem to offer the promotional items like they used to.
There's always a pin in the gift bag for the participants of the Amsterdam Meet.
Last two years pins of the Southard and the Clipi-Tool.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MarcusH wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:They don't seem to offer the promotional items like they used to.
There's always a pin in the gift bag for the participants of the Amsterdam Meet.
Last two years pins of the Southard and the Clipi-Tool.
Hey that's cool because I didn't even know that they still were using them for a promotional item. I have several I even found one of the older/original Spyderhawk and I don't even remember how I got it>> and one for the Harpy as well.

It seems to me like they had another promotional item for the ATR at one time>> Because in 04 and 05 the Ti ATR was one of the most coveted of all the Spyders.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Congrats on the grail pickup! you don't seek too many of those for sale these days :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Noticed a spyderedged ATR on Evilbay today, not sure if it was a good price or not.....
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

farnorthdan wrote:Noticed a spyderedged ATR on Evilbay today, not sure if it was a good price or not.....
Was it the Titanium model or one of the stainless units? Because there were hundreds more of the stainless units than there ever were with the original Titanium handle. Also the stainless unit had like 8 to 10 holes in the side of the handle scale whereas the Titanium unit only had 4 I believe.

There were many, many more of the stainless handled version and there were a lot of Spyderedged stainless but finding one in Spyderedge with the Titanium handle is like finding a winning lottery ticket. The Ti ATR and the original C-60 Ayoob from back in the early 2000s were 2 of the hardest to find Spyderedged blades I ever looked for. I also heard that the D'Alton Toad model was extremely tough to find one in SE as well.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Funny that it was harder for me to find Ti PE version, I love both PE and SE of one of the most well executed knives from Spyderco...

Last edited by nirvanero on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

hey Marcus,

Nice catch you have there.
My ATR Ti PE has also a nice place in my collection.
It was one of the first Ti Spydies i've got, It's a beautiful knife.

Have fun with it, see you at the meet next March....:)

greetz,

Werner