2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
reo

Re: 2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Post by reo »

sal wrote:Hi Reo,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you :)
Grail: Native "Operation New Dawn"
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

hap40 C22 Michael Walker would be perfect. Bit of an AFI knife so suitable for forums :D

I'd prefer light handles (antique ivory micarta), but black G10 would also be fine.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I love some of the ideas presented but I'm out on any SE blade. Even Mastiffwear.

joe
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

Okay what is afi/AFI?
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

David from NC wrote:Okay what is afi/AFI?
aficionado
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have carefully read the responses from my fellow forum members for a few days. Here are my thoughts on the matter. Much like Paul stated, I would probably purchase almost anything Sal and crew decide to produce for us (save maybe a few unlikely models that i have no interest in).

Because I am faithfully taking part in David's 6 month SE challenge I am somewhat interested in a 2015 Forum knife with the famous Spyderedge. I realize this would limit those who would have interest in the "for us" knife, though as many have said it would certainly spoil the flippers. The C36 Military is one of my favorite Spydies of all time so I am extremely partial when this is mentioned as a possible forum knife. This again may be a selfish wish as I know not everyone can carry and enjoy a 4" folding blade.

I realize that a 2015 forum knife would almost certainly be more attainable if made in Golden, but many other have made suggestions that really got my creative juices flowing. Tvenuto's ideas to stay true to the classics and do a throwback really excites me. I am a steel junkie for sure, but sometimes it is about the total package and the spirit of the forum knife to me should represent us. What could represent such a diverse group of ingredients (members) better than a well balanced (civil) conventional steel.
tvenuto wrote:Those would sell well, but I think they'd sell as a sprint too. I think spyderco should do throwback/quirky/classic models for the forum knife, with an aesthetic upgrade. I know I'm mostly alone in this, but I say leave the boutique steels for sprints, and make the forum knife special for its own sake. If we request a super sought-after model/steel combo, we really can't complain about flippers. I think spyderco did an awesome job last time with the diamond cut G10, and although the S110V was nice, I don't think any of us would have passed on this model in a "lesser" steel.

I'll have to find my previous ideas, but here are a few:
Worker with natural G10
SE Police with black G10 and a red spyder inlaid
The idea of an inlaid or just machined G-10 relief in the handle would certain bring a big smile to my face. Red inlay would be enough to make my cheeks hurt from the grin. Gbelleh's mock-up of the dogtag in black and red really speaks to me as well. I would likely never carry a small folder like this around my neck, it could make for the perfect watch-pocket companion with the right lanyard. Then Manix Fan comes along and drops a bomb on my whole creative board. Why not make the knife from an iconic model like the Caly 3.5! Perhaps a small Spydiebug relief in a navy blue G-10 handle? VG-10 or maybe some HAP40 either would be awesome. I can imagine it inmy pocket already. Now we are getting somewhere and another bomb drops..... the Michael Walker......

I must admit that many many great ideas have already been suggested and Sal chiming in brings a big smile to my face so I suggest we keep the creative juices flowing and try to work together so we can bring this to reality. I see polls popping up already and I think that is the best place for us to start.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

NoFair wrote:hap40 C22 Michael Walker would be perfect. Bit of an AFI knife so suitable for forums :D

I'd prefer light handles (antique ivory micarta), but black G10 would also be fine.
xceptnl wrote:...maybe some HAP40 either would be awesome. I can imagine it inmy pocket already. Now we are getting somewhere and another bomb drops..... the Michael Walker......
C22 Michael Walker w/HAP40 is the most interesting suggestion for me.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

xceptnl wrote: I must admit that many many great ideas have already been suggested and Sal chiming in brings a big smile to my face so I suggest we keep the creative juices flowing and try to work together so we can bring this to reality. I see polls popping up already and I think that is the best place for us to start.
I agree, I think the polls are a great idea. If we all just vote for what we like, I'm sure it'll grow into a beautiful compromise that it seems many (including myself) will want regardless of what form it takes. I'm really excited to see what comes out of this. So many great ideas so far.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

One other thing that bears consideration for a forum knife, is that it's going to be less carried than a conventional Spyderco anyways, so size and locking etc. are less of an issue, even where people can't legally carry them. How often do any of us carry our existing forum knives? I carry mine occasionally, but only when I'm dressed up to go to church or the like...it's certainly not coming with me to work. And an SE probably would reduce the likelihood of flippers being successful.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

3rdGenRigger wrote:One other thing that bears consideration for a forum knife, is that it's going to be less carried than a conventional Spyderco anyways, so size and locking etc. are less of an issue, even where people can't legally carry them. How often do any of us carry our existing forum knives? I carry mine occasionally, but only when I'm dressed up to go to church or the like...it's certainly not coming with me to work. And an SE probably would reduce the likelihood of flippers being successful.
I carry my forum native quite often. I've been carrying it since I pulled it out for Christmas, in fact. However, I do agree that it will likely be less carried than "the average spyderco."
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Can someone explain the love people have for the C22 Michael Walker as it was before my time.

I still think a G10 UKPK would be great but a Caly 3.5 would be amazing as well. A Golden made Dodo would also be wonderful. Its awesome to see so many people giving their input!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Can someone explain the love people have for the C22 Michael Walker as it was before my time.

I still think a G10 UKPK would be great but a Caly 3.5 would be amazing as well. A Golden made Dodo would also be wonderful. Its awesome to see so many people giving their input!
I only have experience with the one I have which I believe was the latest model. Had to pay a premium for it since It has been discontinued, but had to have it and it was money well spent IMO

I do not have a picture to post at the moment, but I love that it is a nice gentleman's folder with liner lock and has a nice useable blade shape that is not a traditional style spyderco blade. I guess for me it is because it is different than the norm. Mine has smooth carbon fiber scales. I like that it is a liner lock (probably my favorite lock), open spine, super light... I also believe that mine has ZDP-189 steel

Others may/will have a better explanation, but these are just my thoughts. I will try to post a decent pic. I guess this knife when seen, held, fondled in person; just calls out to me

Michael Walker next to Caly 3
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The Michael Walker has the edge length of a Delica in a very compact and light package. The ergos are great for me (large hands) and the thin blade cuts very very well. I think my carbon fiber ones weigh about 58g.. The clip doesn't carry discretely, but works well and improves handling a bit since the CF scales are smooth. I also like a well made liner lock :D
Last edited by NoFair on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

A clear Manix (As suggested before) would be... amazing.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Wanimator wrote:A clear Manix (As suggested before) would be... amazing.
......with flecks of silver glitter infused into the FRCP/FRN? :D
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
Helios

Post by Helios »

A gayle bradley air with a pocket clip would be awesome
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

As this thread evolves it seems like we may want to start somewhere other than blade length to narrow the field of possible models. A number of suggestions have involved classic Spyderco models that are not in production today. I am thinking of the dodo, Walker, worker (although sprints still on the market), and Ayoob although I am sure I am missing a number of great suggestions also in the thread.

Might we want to start with a question of a currently out of production blade or a currently in production blade?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

ohcyclist wrote:Might we want to start with a question of a currently out of production blade or a currently in production blade?
Indeed, and depending how out of production we're talking, we may be wasting our breath. Sal chimed in on another thread to say that the Q tooling is long gone and a re-release on that model would be tantamount to designing a new one. I think ease of working the Forum knife into current production is a large factor in when/how they offer it. For instance, we got a boutique steel last time, but they were ramping up to start producing the CF/S110V native anyway, so making those blades was already in the queue.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

What about a Meercat with 2 tone G10 scales in the colours of the forum background colours?

Just throwing it out there :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

ohcyclist wrote:As this thread evolves it seems like we may want to start somewhere other than blade length to narrow the field of possible models.
I was thinking this too, as a lot of people are commenting that blade length means nothing to them. While I thought it was a great way to narrow down model choices, maybe there is a better way. Any ideas for different categories that we could vote on? The recently released catalog breaks them down pretty nicely, maybe we could base a poll on that? And obviously add in a category for out of production models.