Fixed fixation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reject

Fixed fixation

Post by Reject »

I’ve developed a bit of a fixation with Spyderco fixed blade knives.

It’s been going on for a couple of years now and I’m slowly getting a bit of collection together. I got a few from a fellow collector here in Australia, the rest have come from patiently waiting and watching for any to come up for sale here and the over seas. But only ones being sold at a reasonable sort of prices, which has caused me to pass on a few.

The thing that attracted me to them is the extreme variety of them, plus the number of them seemed to make collecting a whole set an achievable goal. (Unlike the folders which I have 200 of and still don’t feel like I have begun collecting them)

If you want to see how I’m with fixed blade collecting going, look here: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... d-Fixation

But I have come to some of hurdles in my collecting, which beings me the following questions..

1. Spots, I am still not sure as to how many varieties of the Spot there are. I am guessing nine. Counting the Black which I think is only comes with a plain blade. The all steel Spot, plain and serrated, then with and without the rivet. The micarta handled Spot, plain and serrated, plus with and without the rivet.
If anyone can supply me with more information with this, it would be much appreciated.

2. The FB07 Phil Wilson large fillet and the FB08 Phil Wilson small fillet. When was some one going to tell me about them? It is going make it a little hard to collect if they were never manufactured. Is there a story behind that?

3. FB13, what happened there, or was someone just a little superstitious about the number 13?

4. The FB27, now that is just cheating. It’s a Mule, and it’s an exclusive production, I am never going to be able to get hold of one of those.

5. The FB10, the Maddox. This may take a little of finding, SO? If you people a Spyderco get any spare time. Could you have a look down the back of shelves where the Maddox’s were stored, just incase one fell down the back and is still there? Or in the lunchroom, there maybe one in the back of one of the cupboards? Or maybe Sal or Eric? Maybe you have one at home in the kitchen that you are not using? Used and abused is ok.

:o Yes I know! I am starting to sound desperate now.

Anyway! Thank you Spyderco for producing such great products and in some way sharing your passion for your knives with us.
How much can a Koala bear?
JD Spydo

Spyderco's fixed blades are super

Post by JD Spydo »

I too have an affinity for Spyderco's fixed blades. The one I just can't seem to quit using is my original FB-05 Temperance 1 model. I've just used it on so many tasks here where I'm working and it's become a stalwart user for me. Not to mention the outdoor sporting and kitchen uses it has.

I also just re-aquired the Perrin Street Beat model. I'm trying to modify the sheath to get it to work more like the one with the Temp 1 model. I truly like that older Tek-Lok sheath that came standard on the Temp 1 and I hope I like the one on the Temp 2 that I anticipate getting as well.

Another fixed blade model many folks overlook is the original Swick model. I believe it was Golden CO USA made if my memory serves me well. I'm really looking forward to the Spyderco fixed blade pipeline. >> JD :spyder: O
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Look, you poor bastard :p , I am now taking pity on you & will look in that kitchen shop in Bundaberg where I last saw a Maddox. Probably going over there in the next month.
No promises on delivery, mind, but I will look for ya.
O.
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

Awesome spydie fixed blade collection Reject :D

I have yet to acquire a single spydie fixed blade :( but that vagabond is calling to me :)
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
eneyman

Post by eneyman »

Hey Reject, I think you will be happy with what comes out in the next year or two. Spyderco has a lot of collaborations and a series of small fixed blades in the pipeline. I am thinking of getting a street beat as my first fb spydie.
Reject

Post by Reject »

O,just,O wrote:Look, you poor bastard :p , I am now taking pity on you & will look in that kitchen shop in Bundaberg where I last saw a Maddox. Probably going over there in the next month.
No promises on delivery, mind, but I will look for ya.
O.
O,o,o, :D “O” I think I love you.

That would be great if you could check that out for me, or feed me some information on it and I’ll try and chase it up myself.

:) My unwed mother and I, thank you for your help.
JD Spydo

Spyderco's fixed blades are great choices: The pipeline is looking good too

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey guys while were on the subject of Spyderco fixed blades let's talk about some of the more obscure models like the Vagabond, The Swick, The Spot, The Bushcraft and the Caspian Salt.

Those aforementioned were all good blades with the possible exception of the Vagabond but none them hit well at the box office. Well at least the Bushcraft hasn't set any sales records anyway.

I would love to see Laci Szabo do a fixed blade collaboration with the Great Spyder Factory. I would also like to see Ed Scott ( the designer of the Impala) do some kind of fixed blade collaboration with Spyderco. It seems like he really had a niche for what outdoorsmen want out of a knife.

I think there are some possibilities for new designs. And the Vagabond would even be a good Sprint run with a much better steel than AUS-6 :( . Spyderco has some very good fixed blades and I do hope that they expand in that area.
Reject

Post by Reject »

I love the Vagabond, a unique and practical design. Every picnic basket should have one. :)

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:I love the Vagabond, a unique and practical design. Every picnic basket should have one. :)
The Vagabond is a nifty design>> but I never liked AUS-6 blade steel. I can barely tolerate AUS-8 but not AUS-6. That's why I think a Sprint run with a really nice blade steel would be cool. But again I did like the design and it's a great design for a bug-out bag or a tackle box. It's one of the very few Spyders I've never owned>> mainly because of the AUS-6 blade steel.

Whereas it probably makes more sense to do the Street Beat in about 4 to 5 different super steels>> similar to what they're doing with the Mule series. That Street Beat has much more potential to be a "super collector piece" down the road than many other models do.
Reject

Post by Reject »

:eek: Come on Guys.

Surely someone here knows something about Spyderco’s fixed blade production models?

I’ve been searching around other places for information and the questions in the opening post are about information I can’t find elsewhere.

I not only do I like to collect Spyderco knives; I also like to collect a little information on each knife too. Now I may not be able to get these missing fixed blade knives, but at least I would to collect a little information about them.

:) So any help in that would be appreciated.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

You probably know these models, but I figured I'd post a pic anyway.

Swick2, Caspian Salt, my grandfathers old Sheffield knife, Temp2 and Bushcraft 2nd. Caspian and Swick are the most carried and used. All are very much enjoyed. All are terrific :D
Attachments
5 fixed blades small.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Reject

Post by Reject »

:p I really like the scales on the Swick, I’ve never seen one like that; it changes the look of the knife completely.
:) Very nice.

Did you do that yourself and what sheath do you have for it?
JD Spydo

Fixed blade hawkbill>> H-1 Salt Series

Post by JD Spydo »

I think at this time I would love to see a fixed blade version of the Captain model more than any other Spyder folder.

The Bob Lum Spyderco fixed blade should be made again in a Sprint model with VG-10 or some super-steel. It was probably the nicest looking fixed blade tanto I ever saw.

I also think it's high time for a fixed blade Hawkbill. That would be a fine addition to the H-1 Salt Series.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I went to Bundy today Reject & went to where the kitchen shop, Kutchina Kasa was. Was as in now gone, a sign of the times I suppose. The shop is now painted blue with a big sunflower on it.
No Maddox this time. Sorry mate.
O.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:I went to Bundy today Reject & went to where the kitchen shop, Kutchina Kasa was. Was as in now gone, a sign of the times I suppose. The shop is now painted blue with a big sunflower on it.
No Maddox this time. Sorry mate.
O.
That Maddox is going to be a really tough find. First of all there wasn't that many of those to begin with. Second of all it was a specialty knife target marketed at people who had no use of one of their arms>> So with very few of them sold, made and collected I don't think it's going to be an easy chore to find one. Now you could get lucky and someone could throw one up on Ebay with a cheap "buy it now">> or you might just find one up for trade on Bladeforums. It's one of the very few Spyders I never ever even had in my hand. And it's almost as rare as the orange handled, sheepsfoot Snap It model. And I would bet that the handicapped people that did buy the knife more than likely used it too. So finding one in mint condition will be like finding an honest politician.

Another fixed blade Spyder that will be tough if not impossible to find will be the black bladed FB-05 Temperance 1 model. Personally I've only ever had one of them myself and I've never even seen one since I traded mine away. But I do wish you the best of luck completing your collection of fixed blade Spyders. They are close to my heart as well Brother. Good Luck
Reject

Post by Reject »

No worries O. Such is live. :(
Thanks mate; :) I appreciate the effort you went to.

Yep! JD Spydo, I think you are right; the Maddox will be a tough one to find.
:cool: I’ll quietly wait and watch, maybe one day it will happen.

I was lucky with Temperance range and managed to get the whole set, including the black.
JD Spydo

Black Bladed Perrin Street Bowie?

Post by JD Spydo »

Speaking of Spyderco fixed blades with black blades??? I'm blown away that you found a Temperance 1 with a black blade>> and congratulations on that aquisition :cool:

Have you landed the original Perrin Street Bowie with the Black Blade yet?>> if not that's going to be a really tough find as well.

Also that Micarta VG-10 SPOT model is getting about as rare as a Titanium Herbst model.
jabba359

Re: Fixed fixation

Post by jabba359 »

Reject wrote:2. The FB07 Phil Wilson large fillet and the FB08 Phil Wilson small fillet. When was some one going to tell me about them? It is going make it a little hard to collect if they were never manufactured. Is there a story behind that?

3. FB13, what happened there, or was someone just a little superstitious about the number 13?
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I had the same two questions and couldn't find any answers either, so I thought I would bump an old thread and keep all the info in one place rather than start a whole new thread. With the popularity of the Southfork, I wonder if the idea for FB06 and FB07 will be revisited? It seems that they'd probably be hot sellers.

As for FB13, I wonder if there are any plans to eventually make this SKU? Looking at old threads from back in 2005, it appeared FB13 was going to be the Kumo, however the Kumo eventually ended up with SKU FB11 instead.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com