2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Leeroy37

Re: 2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Post by Leeroy37 »

I'm from the UK where we can't edc locking blades without good reason, it's really cool that some of you are thinking about us with the forum knife so thanks it's shows what a great forum this is :D

Personaly I'd rather it was a locker 3-3.5" you guys can edc it us Brits just use it when we can suits me fine..

Thanks Lee
reo

Post by reo »

Don't forget about lefties, please... :)
Yellow Dodo, Meerkat or Native. Cru-Wear is the good one. Plain.
Red Yojimbo! Why not?
Grail: Native "Operation New Dawn"
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

ManixFan wrote:
Think about it, a diamond cut dark blue G10 Caly 3.5 in either HAP 40 or Hitachi XVC11 (or whatever the most M4 like Japanese equivalent might be). One last opportunity to get a G10 Caly 3.5 in a new colour and new steel!
That sounds beautiful and is a fantastic idea if we aren't going the serrated route. Very nice!

Though I'm really starting to feel the sentiment for a non locking model so a bigger population can carry it. I'm not at all opposed to that.
cornel616

Post by cornel616 »

Military sounds great .....
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

UKPK with dark blue checkered g10 and m390?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm really not feeling the non locking knife idea. Heck, even the UK guys are "meh" on that. ;) My mind keeps coming back to the idea of some iteration of the pm2. Eventually, once we've establisehed plenty of ideas, someone should probably start a poll thread. Maybe we could have a couple of polls...one for model and then later another one for options like steel, handle and serrations?
timlara

Post by timlara »

The main reason I'm opposed to a PM2 for a Forum Knife is that there have already been so many PM2 sprints and it just seems to be such a highly targeted model for flippers. Plus, I see a lot of forumites complaining that they don't like compression locks (although for the record, I love them), not to mention it excludes lefties to some degree. (And, Golden seems to have a hard enough time keeping up with regular PM2 production at the moment...could be a long wait.)

Don't get me wrong, I love the PM2...I just would hate to see the forum knife distribution get ugly if it creates a flipper frenzy. Also, I would kind of prefer to see a well-loved discontinued model brought back.

I agree that maybe a poll (or a series of polls) would be a better way to tally up the votes, although I'm not sure we've even narrowed anything down enough for a poll yet.
remnar

Post by remnar »

timlara wrote:The main reason I'm opposed to a PM2 for a Forum Knife is that there have already been so many PM2 sprints...

...I would kind of prefer to see a well-loved discontinued model brought back.
I agree with these two points 100%, and I am also a PM2 fan. I saw mention of the Dodo, but really anything unique would be of interest to me.
timlara

Post by timlara »

remnar wrote: I agree with these two points 100%, and I am also a PM2 fan. I saw mention of the Dodo, but really anything unique would be of interest to me.
On that same note, I have actually been waiting for a Dodo in a different steel besides S30V for a long time...why does the PM2 get to have all the fun? :)
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:UKPK with dark blue checkered g10 and m390?
Wasn't really that familiar with the UKPK series as I don't think that I would ever pick up a non-locking Spyderco. But I did look it up and it is basically almost a Caly 3 in appearance. The dark blue checkered g10 is an absolutely great idea ;) :p , and I do like M390 very much. :)

It seems such a shame though to have to settle for a non-locking blade though.......I am wondering how many would lose interest or have non-locking as a deal breaker as opposed to how many extra people would benefit as even a Forumite from Britain seems to prefer a locking blade than not - even if it costs him the ability to easily EDC it. The size though is very similar to and a bit of a repetition of the last Forum knife......the S110v Native 5. A little on the larger size of the 3 to 3.5" size would be my preference...... as in the Caly 3.5 which delivers so much right at the edge of that limit and yet also in such a small innocuous looking sized package and with a deep carry wire clip.

If the UKPK was the compromise as a result of deciding that the Forum knife absolutely had to be non-locking (which I don't believe has been decided at all) then although it probably would not be kicking my Forum Native out of my pocket - as it would basically replicate the same type of carry purpose. I'd still probably pick one up (not two though......which might work out better for other Forumites ;) ) in the suggested configuration as a collectors piece as it would be a nice looking little knife in a great steel.

But I'd also prefer a Forum knife that fulfills a different type of "carry purpose/function" than the last Forum knife. This would be a little longer knife at the other end of the 3 - 3.5" range......but one which is still EDC'able in an office environment due to the slim, compact and "seemingly" fragile and non-aggressive gentleman's folder appearance of the Caly 3.5.

I'm sure that whatever the final choice might be that Spyderco will come up with something very nice for a Forum knife............but it's going to be extremely hard to come up with a bigger hit than the 2013 Forum knife.

But I also don't think that we can expect a perfect storm twice in a row where such a breakthrough steel was offered for such a great price in such a well chosen model for EDC.

Although the Caly 3.5 that I'm envisioning would come close......... ;)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm really not feeling the non locking knife idea. Heck, even the UK guys are "meh" on that. ;) My mind keeps coming back to the idea of some iteration of the pm2. Eventually, once we've establisehed plenty of ideas, someone should probably start a poll thread. Maybe we could have a couple of polls...one for model and then later another one for options like steel, handle and serrations?
I think starting a poll would be a good idea. Sal said they had their ears on so lets make some noise.

I think we should start with a poll on blade length. That will help narrow down the model choices.

Then a poll for model. Maybe Sal will chime in and suggest a factory to focus on or one we need to avoid.

Then a poll for steel/edge choice.

Then a poll for handle material.

Sound like a good idea?

I myself am just throwing ideas out there so far to see if anything sticks. My favorite model is the Para2 so I would obviously be down for that but it would also create a frenzy, especially among non forumites. While I prefer locking folders I do carry a SAK everyday and can certainly use either one and treat most knives like they don't lock just out of habit. No matter what knife is chosen I am sure I will be buying one. If it is a knife I really want to carry I will buy two.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
timlara

Post by timlara »

I think Darby is on the right track. Seems like a good idea to narrow down the choices by spec first and then go from there. I guess that's kind of what I was getting at in my post as well when I said I didn't think we have enough consensus to even start a model poll yet. There have been a lot of good ideas, but not enough of a theme or consensus yet to really get any traction.

I'm sure Sal will chime in along the way if we start asking for anything that is completely impossible / too costly to do.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

timlara wrote:I'm sure Sal will chime in along the way if we start asking for anything that is completely impossible / too costly to do.
So my hopes for a Spyderco 2015 Forum lightsaber are not going to be taken seriously? :eek:
Oh well, maybe I'll see it in 2071 when I turn 100. :D

Now I think I'll look away for a while....... a debate over the next Forum knife could turn ugly.

Everybody and their uncle all thinks they all have the greatest idea in the world......and can't understand why everybody else doesn't want to jump on board with their Safety Orange Black Bladed Warrior idea for the 2015 Forum knife. Who wouldn't want such a thing of beauty!!! :D

Let the 2015 Forum Knife "Hunger Games" begin.......... :(
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Reo,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

Unfortunately I missed out on the last forum knife.

Blade length I prefer is around 3". I know at one time Sal mentioned bringing back a new Michael Walker but I still haven't seen one.

My vote would be for a Michael Walker, worker, or a non-locking knife that everyone would have a chance on getting.

I do like the red/black on the dog tag image
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

INFRNL wrote:Unfortunately I missed out on the last forum knife.

Blade length I prefer is around 3". I know at one time Sal mentioned bringing back a new Michael Walker but I still haven't seen one.

My vote would be for a Michael Walker, worker, or a non-locking knife that everyone would have a chance on getting.

I do like the red/black on the dog tag image
I'll second the motion for a Michael Walker Forum Knife. Excellent idea! But, I agree that a poll would be a wise choice as Darby and the others already mentioned. That will help narrow things down so we know what we're working with.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

timlara wrote:
remnar wrote: I agree with these two points 100%, and I am also a PM2 fan. I saw mention of the Dodo, but really anything unique would be of interest to me.
On that same note, I have actually been waiting for a Dodo in a different steel besides S30V for a long time...why does the PM2 get to have all the fun? :)
I forgot about the Dodo! That would be a very cool forum knife. PE or SE, but with an upgraded steel choice over S30V would be exceptional, though I'm still leaning more towards a SE CruWear Millie, or a CruWear/K390 PM2.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Either a M4/Para2, K390/Para2 or Millie would get my vote..I would like a K390/Millie better but the M4/Para2 has been on a lot of peoples list for so long that it deserves to be a forum knife..

As for a SE knife, with the quality of steels used nowadays it makes them pointless..at least for me..the last one I had I wound up giving away..
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

green dodo, se, caged ball bearing :D
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Agreed. This is my first time here to witness the creation of a forum knife, but I think polling is the best way to decide the details. BFK, I think you've got a nice sequence mapped out there. Blade length will be easy, perhaps broken into half inch increments. I think where it will get tricky are the variables like model and handle, where we'd have to brainstorm a few choices to vote on since there could be so many. Like a primary!

I think this is going to be fun! And in the end, whatever it is, serrated or not, big or small, locking or non, it's going to be awesome and I'm going to buy one. Even if it's not a blue weave carbon fiber Superhawk in M390/204P, it's the forum knife, not the PayneTrain knife. Hmmm...PayneTrain knife...does have a ring to it...

Ahem, anyway, I say let the polling begin!