2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Re: 2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Post by gbelleh »

Here's something everyone could use, and afford...

Red and black colored Dog Tag.

:bug-red-white
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bearfacedkiller wrote:While I would buy a military or para2 forum knife I would also be inclined to say that picking a knife with a blade 3 inches or less is much more inclusive and allows many more people to own and carry it. Maybe even a non locking folder to keep it super inclusive?
I'd like to second this! Perhaps with the Golden factory expansion being completed in 2015 that would free up some time to do a forum UKPK in G10 or dare I sag, peel ply carbon fiber. A UKPK would help keep the sale price of the knife low, would bring back a discontinued knife and give the folks on the other side of the pond (UK) a chance to join the party.

I worry that a forum Military or (especially) PM2 would draw the attention of flippers or folks that don't really frequent this forum.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
paladin

Post by paladin »

tvenuto wrote:Those would sell well, but I think they'd sell as a sprint too. I think spyderco should do throwback/quirky/classic models for the forum knife, with an aesthetic upgrade. I know I'm mostly alone in this, but I say leave the boutique steels for sprints, and make the forum knife special for its own sake. If we request a super sought-after model/steel combo, we really can't complain about flippers. I think spyderco did an awesome job last time with the diamond cut G10, and although the S110V was nice, I don't think any of us would have passed on this model in a "lesser" steel.

I'll have to find my previous ideas, but here are a few:
Worker with natural G10
SE Police with black G10 and a red spyder inlaid

Ones I previously suggested:
Salsa with the "Forum Knife" engraved on the handle instead of the blade
Ocelot with something other than the paws cut out of the G-10
Cat with the silver fiber weave (from the Bradley Air)
Rookie with natural G10
I like the idea of the Worker Forum knife if Sal & Co. need/want to go with Seki production... :D

The Ocelot with Spyder bugs would be cool! :cool:

Anything from Golden is fine by me also, FWIW... :)

Good ole s30v or vg10 is great also pair that with a uniquely textured and/or colored handle material and I'm good for my usual order of 2! :D
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I've had SE knives in the past and I've always found them pretty much useless.

A 3 inch or less blade is to small IMO..I like the Millie better but the PM2 strikes a good balance on blade length.

A PM2 or Millie with either a 20CV ,K390 or 10V blade would make a great forum knife.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Philo Beddoe wrote:I've had SE knives in the past and I've always found them pretty much useless...
JD...cover your eyes! :eek:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Useless? A bit of a hyperbole I would have to say. If it is sharp, it has uses.

I fall more into the idea that while I have found things a plain edge can do that a serrated edge can't, I have never found something that a serrated edge can do that a plain edge can't.

I strongly prefer plain edges but if the forum knife were to be a serrated edged knife I would still buy it just because. Plus, I need to add some serrations to my collection.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

We did a poll a while ago about preferred blade length and either 3 or 3.5 seemed to be peoples favorites by far and with those two options being about even.

Here in Colorado, USA, Earth we have a 3.5 inch limit and unfortunately for many people the Military is not legal to carry. I bring mine fishing all the time though which is legal because I can carry any blade while involved in a "sporting" activity.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

gbelleh wrote:Here's something everyone could use, and afford...

Wicked design!!! Sweet combination and nice text placement. The knives screems for it, its a perfect billboard! I'm in :)
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I like both the idea of the SE military as well as the SE police in g10 with a red inlay spider. Then again as many have mentioned I will probably buy it whatever it turns out to be.
bearfacedkiller

I like the looks of that red/black Dogtag too. Black/copper would look good too, maybe the parts could even be made from copper. :-)
-Darby
bh49

Post by bh49 »

paladin wrote: I like the idea of the Worker Forum knife if Sal & Co. need/want to go with Seki production... :D
Anything from Golden is fine by me also, FWIW... :)
Good ole s30v or vg10 is great also pair that with a uniquely textured and/or colored handle material and I'm good for my usual order of 2! :D
I love the idea of Worker about 100 time more than any model in Crywear SE. Absolutely no interest in carbon steel and very little interest in SE, unless it is Worker or Hummingbird or SS Police.
Very little interest in non-locking folders either. I have CF UKPK, which can cover all my potential needs for slippie. Size of the Forum knife is not very important. I would prefer blade size from 2.5" to 4", but smaller or bigger is not a problem.
Of cause preferences to Golden made models.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

IG-88 wrote:
gbelleh wrote:Here's something everyone could use, and afford...

Wicked design!!! Sweet combination and nice text placement. The knives screems for it, its a perfect billboard! I'm in :)
I know we started off talking about serrated Millies but I have to admit, the dog tag idea is kind of intriguing. It is not overly expensive and would be legal for pretty much everyone. Plus, most of us already have too many knives but the dogtag would be a way for any of us to always carry the forum knife as an edc. I like the idea. As I said earlier though, I'm in for pretty much whatever.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I fall more into the idea that while I have found things a plain edge can do that a serrated edge can't, I have never found something that a serrated edge can do that a plain edge can't.
+1
This is the reason, why after carrying SE Delica for couple month eight years ago I never carried SE blade.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I agree with a lot of the above (previous page, I guess). I don't need a super steel as long as the handle is distinguished. In fact, I'd almost prefer that. I'm still not crazy about the Military or even the PM2, because I think they both have so many variations already and I'd like to see something different. Maybe we can merge with the recent serrated Superhawk discussion? Maybe? I'll even let Spydernut pick the colors. :p Though if anyone cares, blue is my favorite followed by orange. Just saying.

Oh, we can even throw in the CPM 154 idea Gringo brought up! I think that'll do well serrated. That's like three birds with one stone...er...knife.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

That DogTag is cool looking, but I'd prefer to see a ClipIt as a Forum knife personally, plus I think more people would carry a ClipIt.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I suppose I had not considered how many of this forum can't carry large blades.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

twinboysdad wrote:I suppose I had not considered how many of this forum can't carry large blades.
Or do not like SE or carbon steel
Slash

Post by Slash »

Why not a fixed blade. Yellow *edit for lime(toxic) green aqua salt se h1 or even a temp 2 cpm154 or m4...?
Last edited by Slash on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

That red and black DogTag sure is nice looking but.........I held one at my local B&M store and found that it was basically a knife of last resort - non-locking and a very short blade that would consequently have very limited usage. I also instinctively reach for my pockets for a knife and am far more comfortable grabbing one from there rather than from around my neck. I think that there are also some concealed carry issues that might be related to that one as well.

So I am guessing that a Forum knife would have to remain legal in most jurisdictions - which would limit a Forum knife to 3.5" or under.......and most people I believe (I could be wrong) would like something at least 3" in length.

I am also guessing that CF is off the table to keep the costs down.......although perhaps laminated CF/G10 might be alright if it is close to G10 in price. Also, the drastic and extreme colours are not going to be popular with many (i.e., safety orange, smurf blue or toxic green) as well as the blander colours such as grey, black and brown in G10 - which have both their fan bases as well as a large base of critics as well.

The green of the 2013 Forum knife was well received I believe but why do it twice in a row? The diamond cut G10 though was very nice IMHO and would spruce up any Forum knife and give it that extra little "ooomph" out of the appearance of G10. I am thinking a nice darker diamond cut blue G10 would hit the sweet spot just right for a lot of people and even if not your favourite colour it would not have a large fraction of potential nay-sayers like brown and grey seems to have gotten. With those two colours it seems that you either love it or hate it.

Although I would love to see a boutique steel new version Stretch (HAP40 or Hitachi XVC11) perhaps this would be best saved for a sprint version as the new version Stretch seems to be just a touch longer than 3.5".

But a thought did cross my mind that seems to make sense since there also seemed to be a lot of mourning over its discontinuation in G10..............THE CALY 3.5 !!! :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

Since the G10 Caly 3.5 was celebrated by the Spyderco AFI community and didn't seem to have done quite so well in the sales department (otherwise it would still be sticking around); then perhaps, a celebration of that design might be appropriate as one last "hurrah" in the form of a Forum knife.

Think about it, a diamond cut dark blue G10 Caly 3.5 in either HAP 40 or Hitachi XVC11 (or whatever the most M4 like Japanese equivalent might be). One last opportunity to get a G10 Caly 3.5 in a new colour and new steel!

I would certainly be picking up my maximum allotted 2 Forum knives if that combination were to materialize.

Anyone else interested in a Japanese boutique steel, diamond-cut dark blue G10, Caly 3.5? :eek: :D
Last edited by ManixFan on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
timlara

Post by timlara »

Has Sal ever specifically said he would prefer to stick to Golden-made models for the Forum Knife?

Or are models from the other makers a possibility as well? Does it simply depend on timing/capacity, or is it maybe just easier to handle communication/coordination of the custom changes locally in Golden?

In any case, I do support the idea of making a model that's legal to carry as many places as possible, especially if that matters to our non-USA members. I haven't seen a lot of people chime in one way or the other yet on that issue, so I'm not sure how big of a deal knife laws are to people hardcore enough to frequent the forum. (I'm guessing that most of the forumites here would - and do - buy knives they can't "legally" carry anyway if they like them enough.)

I'd be happy with some variant of the UKPK, Pingo, or Urban if non-locking / legal carry are actual concerns.

I also like the Caly 3.5 variant idea as Manixfan suggested, if non-locking is NOT a concern.

And of course, since I haven't seen it come up here yet, I'll go ahead and throw in my recurring vote for the "clear" Manix2 shown in the 2010 Amsterdam meet as well!