Janisong not available in US?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Janisong not available in US?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Johnnie1801 wrote:I'm hoping some of the French dealers will get this in stock so I can get one :D

If this international policy works out then I hope we will see a return of the smallfly/spyderfly as well..
That would be very cool indeed!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Johnnie1801 wrote:I'm hoping some of the French dealers will get this in stock so I can get one :D

If this international policy works out then I hope we will see a return of the smallfly/spyderfly as well..
Hi Johnnie,

The smallfly's were made in Golden.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal, aside from combat-type situations, if someone could legally own and carry a Spyderco Balisong, one of the original types, would you recommend it as an everyday carry folder, or, would you advise them to get one of the other Spyderco models, such as an Endura, Delica, etc, instead? I have a book with knife pictures and it has a section on Spyderco; an excellent picture of the balisong model. That was some superb engineering and design =)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SEF,

As with any knife, they will cut just fine. Steel and edge are good. Difficulties arise mostly from public that are afraid of Balisongs and switchblades. As well as LEO's enforcing the law.

sal
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

sal wrote:Hi SEF,

As with any knife, they will cut just fine. Steel and edge are good. Difficulties arise mostly from public that are afraid of Balisongs and switchblades. As well as LEO's enforcing the law.

sal
I've known people who like and prefer to carry Balisongs/Butterfly knives over other types. And you're quite right, though it seems people are scared of their own shadow these days.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I'm fairly certain this won't make it past HMRC in the UK either :(

Shame, because it looks beautiful.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

demoncase wrote:I'm fairly certain this won't make it past HMRC in the UK either :(

Shame, because it looks beautiful.
Her Majestry's Royal Customs?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

HMRC = Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
Hi Johnnie,

sal
Thx Sal, the smallfly and spyderfly are great designs. I wish I'd picked them up when they were available but I always had something else going on and thought they'd be around for a long time. Anyway, I wish you every success with the Janisong and if sales go well I hope that the spyderfly will make a come back too in jurisdictions where they are legal :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:HMRC = Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
Hi Johnnie,

sal
Thx Sal, the smallfly and spyderfly are great designs. I wish I'd picked them up when they were available but I always had something else going on and thought they'd be around for a long time. Anyway, I wish you every success with the Janisong and if sales go well I hope that the spyderfly will make a come back too in jurisdictions where they are legal :D

Amen to that. In the mean time I'll just keep flipping my Baliyo.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

So close and yet so far..... At least the aqua salt is back.
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

We expect we will also be making them in Golden when capacity gets sorted.

sal

If not for the fact that you said that, I'd presently be making some phone calls to friends overseas about a favor I needed...
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but am hoping to clarify something that was mentioned on the 2015. Will the Spyderco manufacturing representative in Taiwan also be selling the knife straight to customers? I know it says Spyderco will not accept direct orders, but I assume that meant only the Golden-based website/office?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

jylong_away wrote:I know I'm a bit late to the party, but am hoping to clarify something that was mentioned on the 2015. Will the Spyderco manufacturing representative in Taiwan also be selling the knife straight to customers? I know it says Spyderco will not accept direct orders, but I assume that meant only the Golden-based website/office?
As I understand it, they won't be imported into the U.S. due to laws prohibiting the import of "butterfly" and "switchblade" knives. While the Janisong isn't technically a butterfly or switchblade knife, it is likely similar enough that it isn't worth Spyderco's time and resources to get it approved (or not approved). Sal said they plan on making some in Colorado once the factory is expanded, which would then allow them to sell in the U.S. since they won't be imports.

The Taiwan manufacturer likely isn't set up to handle direct sales, so your best bet would be finding a Spyderco dealer located in your country or a country where they can import these sorts of knives.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Slash

Post by Slash »

Since importation is the obstacle. Then, why not make them at golden as well???
I'm patient enough to wait till it's available here.
I wouldn't want my knife being confiscated by some customs official that likes it and keeps it to put in his/hers own personal collection.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Slash wrote:Since importation is the obstacle. Then, why not make them at golden as well???
I'm patient enough to wait till it's available here.
I wouldn't want my knife being confiscated by some customs official that likes it and keeps it to put in his/hers own personal collection.
Possibly because the Feds, and specifically the ICE field office whose jurisdiction includes Golden and the US Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, may decide it's a restricted item. If that happens, then sales are going to be very limited. They did that with the Bi-Fold, a knife so innocuous that every single LEO I showed one to back when I lived in a state where switchblades were totally illegal told me I was full of "it" when I told them the Feds consider it a switchblade.

Worse yet, it might take ICE a year or two to make that decision, and then get the Court to slam Spyderco with fines, confiscations, etc. for every single one they sold here. Heck, it's the Feds we're talking about, so even if ICE made a decision today that the JaniSong was not a switchblade as defined by Title 15 Chapter 29 of the US Code, there's no guarantee they would not change their minds at a later date.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Janisongs will be shipped to the distributors of each country that orders them. The have all agreed not to ship to the USA.

sal
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Man, I hope this will be availible in the Netherlands :o
Just finished browsing the 2015 catalog again and I have to say,
this is one of the knives that's just stuck in my head.
Balisongs are illegal to carry or even own in the Netherlands :(
I do own a few, but never take them out.
This would be a great alternative even though the zen rollover and similar tricks won't be happening anytime soon with this knife :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sal, is it possible to find out which countries they will be available in?

I travel a fair amount, and I'd be curious if they will be available in any of the places I go regularly.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

TomAiello wrote:I travel a fair amount, and I'd be curious if they will be available in any of the places I go regularly.
And if they are, some of us would be curious how big your suitcase is. ;)

Gordon
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

As Austrian I could buy a Janisong now (ETA during first half 2015), but I decided to wait for production in Golden and to import it later. Local prices here are rather expensive and I don't want to pay for it double the price as in US-shops.

You see, beeing an Austrian is advantage and disadvantage at the same time :(
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto