Does Spyderco use, or have any plans to use, cpm154?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PayneTrain

Re: Does Spyderco use, or have any plans to use, cpm154?

Post by PayneTrain »

Ankerson wrote: as in the knife industry we don't typically need Aerospace level technology for knife blades.
FALSE.

:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah, I need something that will hold an edge in the harshest environments in space. Find out what will hold an edge on the face of Venus and that's the steel that I NEED for my EDC.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:Yeah, I need something that will hold an edge in the harshest environments in space. Find out what will hold an edge on the face of Venus and that's the steel that I NEED for my EDC.
With the ave temp close to 900 F I don't think any steel will do well for very long in a knife blade, something like Ceramics would be better. :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Evil D wrote:Yeah, I need something that will hold an edge in the harshest environments in space. Find out what will hold an edge on the face of Venus and that's the steel that I NEED for my EDC.
That's so weird! That's pretty much exactly what I tell my credit card every time I buy a knife, only there's some stuff about zombies and Russians in there too.

But seriously, gotta keep it interesting and I feel like CPM-154 really missed out on getting to be a Spyderco. I think it deserves a chance. Plus I bet it could at least handle a jump to hyperspace...
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

PayneTrain wrote:
That's so weird! That's pretty much exactly what I tell my credit card every time I buy a knife, only there's some stuff about zombies and Russians in there too.

But seriously, gotta keep it interesting and I feel like CPM-154 really missed out on getting to be a Spyderco. I think it deserves a chance. Plus I bet it could at least handle a jump to hyperspace...

CPM 154 does extremely well in the 62 Range with the right HT and is very popular with the custom makers. :)

Not sure why Spyderco hasn't used it yet, maybe Sal will ring in on it. :spyder:

Granted it's right in there in the sweet spot with S30V/S35VN and ELMAX all in that same general group.

IMO the Military just screams CPM 154. :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Spyderco has used CPM 154 in a blade, just not as the edge.

:bug-red-white
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Ankerson wrote:
PayneTrain wrote:

CPM 154 does extremely well in the 62 Range with the right HT and is very popular with the custom makers. :)

Not sure why Spyderco hasn't used it yet, maybe Sal will ring in on it. :spyder:

Granted it's right in there in the sweet spot with S30V/S35VN and ELMAX all in that same general group.

Has no one been paying attention that Spyderco is putting out two blades with almost the exact same composition and manufacturing process as CPM154? Everyone keeps asking if Spyderco is going to use CPM154 specifically without seeing that they really are. They need to test and compare these other steels and are producing two blades for us to test that are being released this year.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Evil D wrote:I don't know how performance differs from 154CM and CPM154, but I absolutely can't stand 154CM. I had a Manix 2 in it, and the best way I can describe that experience is "gummy". It would burr harder than any steel I've ever used and seemed like it was so soft it just wouldn't take an edge for crap. Nothing I did seemed to get it sharp. Aside from the crappy low hollow grind, the steel was the biggest reason I got rid of my first Manix 2 and developed a disliking for the model entirely until it finally came around in FFG and different steels. Maybe I just got a bad one or something. To this day I haven't experienced anything like that from Spyderco.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thought that steel sucked. My original Manix 2 would not hold a edge, and for the life of me I couldnt get it sharp. I don't know if it was the heat treat or what.
My buddies all think I'm crazy for not trying any of the other 154 varieties. I currently have a Manix 2 full SE coming to me in 154cm, but it is only due to that edge only being offered in that steel as far as I know. If it was offered in S30v I would much prefer that. My opinion is that there are better steels out there in the same price range that are probably superior for a knife blade.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bodog wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
PayneTrain wrote:

Has no one been paying attention that Spyderco is putting out two blades with almost the exact same composition and manufacturing process as CPM154? Everyone keeps asking if Spyderco is going to use CPM154 specifically without seeing that they really are. They need to test and compare these other steels and are producing two blades for us to test that are being released this year.
RWL-34, yes that is basically the same as CPM 154.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Bodog wrote: Surfer, I believe that two mules are coming out with very close equivalents of CPM154. One is straight up powder metallurgy and one is called rapidly solidifying powder metal, whatever that means. I included VG10 because the composition is very close but I think it's ingot. Here ya go:

Looking at the steel chart, RWL-34 has no Tungsten and CPM 154 has Tungsten, I think that would make a pretty big difference. Also, it has more Vanadium.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Donut wrote:
Bodog wrote: Surfer, I believe that two mules are coming out with very close equivalents of CPM154. One is straight up powder metallurgy and one is called rapidly solidifying powder metal, whatever that means. I included VG10 because the composition is very close but I think it's ingot. Here ya go:

Looking at the steel chart, RWL-34 has no Tungsten and CPM 154 has Tungsten, I think that would make a pretty big difference. Also, it has more Vanadium.
I don't know man, we're not talking about 10V vs shirogami #1 here. .2% vanadium vs .4 vanadium and 0% tungsten vs .4% tungsten. Altogether there's .8% super hard carbides in CPM154. About half a percent higher than RWL34. In real use, that's an extremely negligible difference:

Last edited by Bodog on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Donut wrote: Looking at the steel chart, RWL-34 has no Tungsten and CPM 154 has Tungsten, I think that would make a pretty big difference. Also, it has more Vanadium.
Yeah, but I think that stuff is supposed to be residual, not intentional. If you look around the net, no one else includes those elements in either steel.

As for the RWL-34 vs CPM 154 debate, I've got to go with the home team and take US made 154. B70P is too different for me to consider it the same, or even similar. It DOES have vanadium, and to a nerd like me that's a pretty big difference. I'd say it's closer to BG-42 than anything else, which Carpenter calls B75P.

Edit: Actually, it seems Carpenter has a name for 154, and they call it BD4P.