2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: 2015 Forum knife request, by popular demand!

Post by farnorthdan »

I would be in for a military, for some reason I dont have one yet.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would buy a serrated cruwear military or para2 or native5.

I think cruwear could be a great steel for serrated edged knives.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

twinboysdad wrote:http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 6&start=20
a full SE Cruwear Millie. Read attached thread, lots are interested.
Do you want to create a poll to see, if real interest exist? :cool:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sounds great, how do I add to this thread or does that require a new thread?
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I think it's a great idea, though not sure I would buy one. I have the Cruwear Military already and I'm not a huge fan of redundancy so it would have to be pretty distinct in some way. Either a new steel or a cool handle. I'm totally into a Spyderedge model though, just not sold on the Military for the platform.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey tbd, do you think it would be worthwhile to put options for both a serrated edge millie and pm2 in the poll to see where the most interest lies?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I went back and tried to edit the OP to add a poll...I must be missing something? Can that be done? I have to be honest, after chewing the fat with The Gringo in a PM, I am convinced a PM2 in SE is the way to go. Of course that model attracts flippers like raccoons to garbage but it would be the first SE in that platform
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Sorry.....a PM or Millie 2015 Forum knife holds no appeal for me at all......SE or otherwise :(

I'd much rather see an alternate version of the new Stretch....... ;)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

PE.... SE..... doesn't matter. If it's a PM2 it will be heavily flipped. ****, the edge could be made of rubber and it would still be on the Bay for 2-3x the price.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm in for just about anything Spyderco chooses to offer as a Forum Knife for this forum, and I know models made in Golden are easier for Spyderco to consider for this, as there are no "minimum order" constraints imposed by the maker. So sure, if Spyderco made a SE Military or PM2 Forum Knife, I'd buy it. Only question I'd have would be whether anyone actually knows whether Cruwear and serrations play well together. I say that because I know Spyderco stopped offering serrated ZDP-189 because those two didn't and I don't know enough about steels to know which other steels are incompatible with serrations.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I would guess Cruwear would work well serrated as it's designed with a bit of an emphasis on toughness, as opposed to ZDP-189 which is super hard and therefore brittle which I believe was the problem.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Before we get our hopes up let's wait till spyderco annouces making a forum knife. Most likely we won't even see it till 2nd or 3rd quarter 2016 anyway.
Last edited by Slash on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bearfacedkiller

If this is a golden made model we may be waiting for the new facility to be fully up and running and all current demand met.

How about a Japanese model alternative as well just in case? Ladybug hawkbill in zdp with a plain edge?

Or a Taiwan alternative? Sage2 in M4?

:D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

I'd be up for either in SE.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Those would sell well, but I think they'd sell as a sprint too. I think spyderco should do throwback/quirky/classic models for the forum knife, with an aesthetic upgrade. I know I'm mostly alone in this, but I say leave the boutique steels for sprints, and make the forum knife special for its own sake. If we request a super sought-after model/steel combo, we really can't complain about flippers. I think spyderco did an awesome job last time with the diamond cut G10, and although the S110V was nice, I don't think any of us would have passed on this model in a "lesser" steel.

I'll have to find my previous ideas, but here are a few:
Worker with natural G10
SE Police with black G10 and a red spyder inlaid

Ones I previously suggested:
Salsa with the "Forum Knife" engraved on the handle instead of the blade
Ocelot with something other than the paws cut out of the G-10
Cat with the silver fiber weave (from the Bradley Air)
Rookie with natural G10
sal

Post by sal »

We're watching.

sal
bearfacedkiller

While I would buy a military or para2 forum knife I would also be inclined to say that picking a knife with a blade 3 inches or less is much more inclusive and allows many more people to own and carry it. Maybe even a non locking folder to keep it super inclusive?
-Darby
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tvenuto wrote:Those would sell well, but I think they'd sell as a sprint too. I think spyderco should do throwback/quirky/classic models for the forum knife, with an aesthetic upgrade. I know I'm mostly alone in this, but I say leave the boutique steels for sprints, and make the forum knife special for its own sake. If we request a super sought-after model/steel combo, we really can't complain about flippers. I think spyderco did an awesome job last time with the diamond cut G10, and although the S110V was nice, I don't think any of us would have passed on this model in a "lesser" steel.

I'll have to find my previous ideas, but here are a few:
Worker with natural G10
SE Police with black G10 and a red spyder inlaid

Ones I previously suggested:
Salsa with the "Forum Knife" engraved on the handle instead of the blade
Ocelot with something other than the paws cut out of the G-10
Cat with the silver fiber weave (from the Bradley Air)
Rookie with natural G10
U probably have a valid point there. Personally I would be happy with a forum pm2 with serrated s30v...or whatever! Honestly, I kind of agree with what Paul said (and respect him for saying it)! I'm pretty sure he doesn't care for either the pm2 or the compression lock, but there he is saying he will be happy with either or both in a forum knife. The point for me is that I enjoy this community and because I spend so much time interacting with you guys here I will be happy to get the next forum knife whatever they choose to offer.
xinam

Post by xinam »

Another vote for SE Military. I've yet to buy a military and it seems like a lot of forum members are in the same boat. The full SE would be best received with about 3/4" plain edge "native style" . I recently purchased the SE g10 police and really like the feel of a bigger knife, in hand and in pocket. I think this would be a great opportunity to opens some eyes and and bring the SE back, as it is obviously gaining popularity on the forum :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I agree with Paul; if the next Forum Knife is going to be a Millie or PM2, I will buy it. However, I would almost rather see the Millie platform used instead of the PM2 simply because the PM2 already has had so many different variations/Sprints/exclusives, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like the PM2, but I'd love to see something new and exciting with this. I'm fine with any colors/textures/other options. It's all good by me. :)

Serrations are fine by me. Personally, I think if SE is on the docket, it would be awesome to see a SE Massad Ayoob as the next Forum Knife. I just got done cleaning up my brother's original SE 'Ayoob and I have been thoroughly impressed with this design. And as Darby pointed out, it might help if the next model was a bit less inclusive anyway.
Last edited by SpyderNut on Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.