3 of my knives gone temporarily

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bdblue

3 of my knives gone temporarily

Post by bdblue »

My daughter came over for Christmas and took away 3 of my knives. She had a friend that needs a lighter weight knife for wearing with suit pants so she dug through my collection and pulled out 3 to take for him to feel the weight of. She took an old Endura, a current Delica and my Manix 2 S110V. I don't carry the Endura or Delica so I didn't mind seeing those go, but the M2 is in my EDC rotation. It better come back before its time comes up in the rotation! Plus it would be the hardest to replace so I worry about it more.
God'sMyJudge

Re: 3 of my knives gone temporarily

Post by God'sMyJudge »

I cannot imagine carrying an endura or manix 2 in suit pants, so you'll likely get your wish. ****, even a delica seems too big for that. I'd got with a Manbug or a GB Air if that's in your bag.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

With suit pants I'd go for a Sage or a Centofante 3.
Maybe even a Kiwi with stag handle scales or a dragonfly. An Endura seems like a bit much with suit pants, as would a M2.
Delica is the best option in this case imo.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Caly or Caly 3.5
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have carried a Caly 3 and Caly 3.5 to weddings in the past. I think the light material makes them feel kind of heavy with the steel liners. I do wish there were some lighter options.

Honestly, I don't think a dragonfly or a ladybug on a lanyard (and maybe one of those hooks on the end so you can hang it on your pocket) would be a bad option.

I chose the Small Persian the other day and it didn't seem too heavy, but I'm not a huge fan of how much is sticks out of my pocket.

What about the Carbon Fiber Chaparral? It comes with a black clip.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Also, if I was you and he chose the Manix Lightweight, I would run out and buy the normal CTS-BD1 version and save everyone the trouble of him sharpening S110V.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Squeak, UKPK or Pingo would be nice light options.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Pfffft. No one but no one takes any of my knives, ever, nor would even ask. My days of loaning are over, and I have no problem telling people as much. No one cares about anything that isn't theirs. Many don't even take care of things that are theirs. I'm done loaning something, only to have it come back looking like it was thrown out the window of a skyscraper.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
bh49

Post by bh49 »

God'sMyJudge wrote:I cannot imagine carrying an endura or manix 2 in suit pants, so you'll likely get your wish. ****, even a delica seems too big for that. I'd got with a Manbug or a GB Air if that's in your bag.
I am not sure what are you talking about.
I carried My C83 Bolstered Persian (5.4 oz) in my FRP clipped and Ti Fluted Native clipped to my RRP wearing suit. It was just fine. I had these both knives loose in the same pockets, when I was without jacket.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

God'sMyJudge wrote:I cannot imagine carrying an endura or manix 2 in suit pants, so you'll likely get your wish. ****, even a delica seems too big for that. I'd got with a Manbug or a GB Air if that's in your bag.
I'm pretty sure she was talking about carrying the knife clipped. I have not had any problem with some of my EDC knives clipped in dress pants. The last time I wore dress pants I carried a Para2. Now dropping the knife in the bottom of the pocket is a different story. I think for me the Delica would be fine but not anything heavier.

Donut wrote:Also, if I was you and he chose the Manix Lightweight, I would run out and buy the normal CTS-BD1 version and save everyone the trouble of him sharpening S110V.
I told her that the BD1 version was available for less money, I didn't mention the difference in sharpening.

Knutty wrote:Pfffft. No one but no one takes any of my knives, ever, nor would even ask.
I was technically loaning the knives to my daughter and she respects them enough to not mistreat them. She currently carries one of the green versions of the Tenacious. I don't have any big connection to the Endura or Delica but I do prize the M2 S110V. Supposedly her friend is only going to check our the weights and sizes of the knives, and not actually use them. But if worse comes to worse I can probably find a replacement M2.

And thanks to everyone else for the other suggestions. I will compile some links and forward to her to pass on.
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

Donut wrote:What about the Carbon Fiber Chaparral? It comes with a black clip.
Seconded, isn't this what the Chaparral was born for?
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

I would think that if a man is wearing a suit or nice dress pants, he would not have the need to carry a knife like the 3 taken. Just a nice gentleman's folder would be enough and there are plenty of good choices in that size as many have been mentioned.

to the OP, hope you get your knives back soon; especially the manix2.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

INFRNL wrote:I would think that if a man is wearing a suit or nice dress pants, he would not have the need to carry a knife like the 3 taken. Just a nice gentleman's folder would be enough and there are plenty of good choices in that size
I do own a few small "gentleman's" knives, but I very rarely carry them. I usually will just carry one of the knives from my EDC rotation, which includes PM2's, Military, Manix 2's, and Bradley Folder. I have no problem with knives of that size/weight in dress pants. With a suit on the coat will hide the clip so I'm not self conscious but if I wear only the dress pants and have to visit a client, I might carry one of the small folders just in case it is noticed. But as stated the last time I wore a suit I carried my Para2.

But to the point, I wonder how many knife enthusiasts would carry a small gentleman's knife with a suit, or would carry one of their normal larger knives. I think this would be an interesting poll.