Serrated Sharpening Thread!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stalag2

Re: Serrated Sharpening Thread!

Post by stalag2 »

I always felt baffled to hear so much peeps getting trouble to sharpen serrations and using this argument to dismiss SE knives, but my first Spydie was a SE Standard and the second a SS SE Harpy.
Even to this day, i still think PE are more demanding skillwise and timewise than SE knives, the only part i feel is tricky is to sharpen the tiny PE portion when it is thicker than the serrations as on my Endura, this one really need to be thinned significantly as the retention of the PE part is simply awful.
I also feel baffled when i see how amazing the 701 ( i have a 701MF and still own a mini version but my med stone is broken and really only usable to sharpen tiny blades and points ) was compared to the goldenstone which seems much more archaic yet is pretty and well executed and somehow pushes the boundaries of what can be made with sintered ceramics.
But as a convenient sharpening device it strongly lacks polyvalence, compactness and various grits and the 701 would benefit a lot of a portable base like the galley V but without screws
JD Spydo

Re: Serrated Sharpening Thread!

Post by JD Spydo »

stalag2 wrote:I always felt baffled to hear so much peeps getting trouble to sharpen serrations and using this argument to dismiss SE knives, but my first Spydie was a SE Standard and the second a SS SE Harpy.
Even to this day, i still think PE are more demanding skillwise and timewise than SE knives, the only part i feel is tricky is to sharpen the tiny PE portion when it is thicker than the serrations as on my Endura, this one really need to be thinned significantly as the retention of the PE part is simply awful.
I also feel baffled when i see how amazing the 701 ( i have a 701MF and still own a mini version but my med stone is broken and really only usable to sharpen tiny blades and points ) was compared to the goldenstone which seems much more archaic yet is pretty and well executed and somehow pushes the boundaries of what can be made with sintered ceramics.
But as a convenient sharpening device it strongly lacks polyvalence, compactness and various grits and the 701 would benefit a lot of a portable base like the galley V but without screws
Well "Stalag2" I was looking through your post and seeing if anything needed to be deleted before I responded to it>>and much to my amazement everything you posted was pertinent and relavent to everything we've wanted to learn with this thread.

I completely agree with you pertaining to what you said about the Spyderco 701 Profile stones and the amazing ability they have to do a factory grade sharpening job on Spyderedged blades>> or just about any other knife company's serrated blades too.

I also agree with you that they (Spyderco) seriously need to look into the possibility of maybe making the 701 Profile set in more grits to give the set much more versatility. Because in the areas of machine tool work, gunsmithing, dental tool sharpening and several other trades those 701 Profiles have the potential of being one of the best sharpening inventions in the entire market arena. I also agree with you that the Goldenstone does seem to be a bit awkward to work with compared to the narrow scope and extreme versatility of the 701 Profiles. I truly wish that Spyderco would put out some information and possibly do a video to enlighten us at to what it's intended uses are.

Also you are one of the very few that is even aware of the potential of the older/disontinued GALLEY V kit. I found those "Cat's Eye" stones to work better than any shapening stone out there that I've seen yet. I was lucky when I got mine. It was about the time they discontinued it in the late 90s and I bought many of the replacement stones for it and they have been great to work with on many odd sharpening jobs.