Spyderco Military... 7 days later

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Spyderco Military... 7 days later

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice write up Dan, glad to hear there's another avid member of the Military fan club! As for the clip, you might want to check out STR on BF who offers these very nice deep pocket carry Ti clips. They're not the cheapest ($37) but they make a huge difference in visibility in the pocket. There's also a few options available on eBay but I can't attest to how good they are. My pal Casey Lynch, the Originalspaceman on BF, is also going to be coming out with a Military clip option soon, and his clips rock! Cheers, Radioactive :)

Also, I swapped that lanyard onto the Millie (it's the only knife I have with one), and it makes it easy to pocket the Millie and pull it out using the lanyard.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DJ

Post by DJ »

I have STR,s clips on all my user militarys.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

DansGunBlog wrote: This thing carries ridiculously light and small for its size.

And its ridiculously solid for how it carries.
This is probably my favorite part about this knife. It's huge by my standards, but once it's in your pocket it hides faster than my dog on the 4th of July. Except when you want it, it's much easier to find with those good couple inches of handle sticking out. Glad you're enjoying it, and I think the more uses you find for it the more you'll love it!
Bugout Bill

Post by Bugout Bill »

I own a Black G10 Military that I installed standoffs on. It is probably my favorite general use folder. Not a real precision cutter compared to an Opinel or slip joint, but with a bit more durability and wider scope of use. I have a fair variety of knives, but the Military always seems to find its way into my pocket.
" Two guns, flashlight, two 12-gauge cartridges, and a knife because—just because—every little boy should have a knife.." -- Louis Awerbuck on his EDC
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Nice write up Dan, glad to hear there's another avid member of the Military fan club! As for the clip, you might want to check out STR on BF who offers these very nice deep pocket carry Ti clips. They're not the cheapest ($37) but they make a huge difference in visibility in the pocket. There's also a few options available on eBay but I can't attest to how good they are. My pal Casey Lynch, the Originalspaceman on BF, is also going to be coming out with a Military clip option soon, and his clips rock! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Thanks Radioactive! LOL been conversing with Casey Lynch on this, told him one of these days I'll get a knife he already makes clips for!

Have you seen his pry tool btw? Seeing pics of them starting to show up in the BF thread. Seems to be just the right size too. I have a small Schrade keychain pry tool which is quite handy, but could be a little larger. and don't need a **** wire cutter on it, all it ever cuts is into my finger when I try to pry anything lol. Casey's design seems quite well thought out.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Image

Also, I swapped that lanyard onto the Millie (it's the only knife I have with one), and it makes it easy to pocket the Millie and pull it out using the lanyard.
Ah, very nice... haven't tried the lanyard approach yet. Will keep that in mind.

What kind of lanyard is that? Looks simple to attach/remove.
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
MCM

Post by MCM »

M4 Ti Millie 2009, released summer 2010. One of my favorites as well. :D
GoodEyeSniper wrote:My spyderco military... Years later.

I honestly can't remember when I got this, does anyone remember when the m4 Millie finally was released?

Anyways, it has been by far my most used knife since I've had it, its just perfect when you need a real working knife of decent size. My work has changed, and a smaller knife is often more useful, but the Millie still finds its way into my pocket, more often than not.
RadioactiveSpyder

DansGunBlog wrote:Thanks Radioactive! LOL been conversing with Casey Lynch on this, told him one of these days I'll get a knife he already makes clips for!

Have you seen his pry tool btw? Seeing pics of them starting to show up in the BF thread. Seems to be just the right size too. I have a small Schrade keychain pry tool which is quite handy, but could be a little larger. and don't need a **** wire cutter on it, all it ever cuts is into my finger when I try to pry anything lol. Casey's design seems quite well thought out.

Ah, very nice... haven't tried the lanyard approach yet. Will keep that in mind.

Yup, sure do have one of Casey's pry bars! I'll get some pics up of his great stuff soon, after the final exams rush and things wind down for the holiday. He's a great guy to work with and chat about living in the Pacific NW.

The lanyard is stolen from my Perrin PPT, it just matched the Micarta color so nicely, I couldn't resist! Plus it's so small that it's fairly inconspicuous. I'd love to find somebody that makes similar ones, tying my own is a technique I haven't tried to master yet. Enjoy the Millie! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

I honestly can't remember when I got this, does anyone remember when the m4 Millie finally was released?

Anyways, it has been by far my most used knife since I've had it, its just perfect when you need a real working knife of decent size. My work has changed, and a smaller knife is often more useful, but the Millie still finds its way into my pocket, more often than not.
This is so full of win.

Sal please make more.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:

This is so full of win.

Sal please make more.
That M4 Millie wasn't a Spyderco sprint run..it was a KnifeWorks exclusive..

A couple of years ago I asked KW if they would ever order another run of those and they were very sure that it wouldn't happen..so you probably want see any more of those made..

M4 is a good steel but personally I'd rather see a K390 Millie :) or better yet a 10V Millie :) :)
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Big fan of this knife as well. Any flavor suits me. I do admit to only owning one right now. I may still eventually get another for "just in case". I wish Hollywood liked this knife as much as they do the Police model. It's a better overall knife and better suited for the "big screen" in my opinion.

I sent mine over to Willey Knives in DE for a full serration job. They're recommended by Spyderco and dirt cheap for the quality of the work. $4+shipping there and back.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =6&t=62928" target="_blank
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

DansGunBlog wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Nice write up Dan, glad to hear there's another avid member of the Military fan club! As for the clip, you might want to check out STR on BF who offers these very nice deep pocket carry Ti clips. They're not the cheapest ($37) but they make a huge difference in visibility in the pocket. There's also a few options available on eBay but I can't attest to how good they are. My pal Casey Lynch, the Originalspaceman on BF, is also going to be coming out with a Military clip option soon, and his clips rock! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Thanks Radioactive! LOL been conversing with Casey Lynch on this, told him one of these days I'll get a knife he already makes clips for!

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Image

I got one of those deep ride clips from STR. I love it, but I never could sell myself on the practicality of keeping it on my Military. I actually prefer having a better, easy to grab pocket ride that the factory clip provides. Of course, I'm not one of these metro-sexual types that wears pants that ride up my *** so high that my Military bugs me. ;) I'm also not concerned with someone knowing (GASP!) that I have the knife in my pocket. Then again, I live in TN. Oh hey, our knife laws loosened up some more recently. We no longer have an auto knife ban, or blade length restrictions. Woot! Not that I see the legit need for an auto knife anyway.
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

Ankerson wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:So... it's been 7 days with the Military.

Yeah, the satin/camo "G.I. Joe color" as someone put it last week, which I personally really like. I think it looks awesome, Your tools, it's what you like, not much else matters lol. I actually really wouldn't mind a PM2 in the same color scheme at some point.

My "first impressions" post a week ago was just that, after a day with it, trying hard as usual to stay away from shiny new toy syndrome. :-)

I've made peace with the clip... it does an excellent job of retraining the knife while not cutting up your pants. While the knife rides really high, you get an excellent 2-finger grip on it. the only downside I've found is in jeans it tends to poke you a in the thigh a bit when sitting.

After a week, you have a pretty good idea how you like something.

The most telling thing in my opinion is this: what's IN your pocket? Look down - what's clipped in the place of honor?

For me, it's not about collecting, not my thing, I just like cool tools.

So unless I'm just testing something new for a couple days, what I'm carrying on any given day is the best I have for that purpose.

The Military hasn't left that spot since I got it.

Short version... It would seem I've found my new favorite knife. I see why everyone who has one speaks so highly of it...

This thing carries ridiculously light and small for its size.

And its ridiculously solid for how it carries.

Not sure what it's gonna take to unseat this one from my pocket lol, but it's gonna have to be pretty **** awesome lol.

Have awesome day!
Dan

P.S. here's that photo again... I like this one.

That's why after 5 years it's still my most carried blade. :cool: :spyder:
Curious Mr. Jim what flavor Millie you carry?

Going to guess based on cutting tests S90V.
Standard S30V and Black G10. :)
That's funny. I have 5 millies, (one NIB fully serrated, one used fully serrated, on NIB LE with S90V and carbon fiber grips, one with black blade and digi-cam grips, and a standard S30V and black G10 - I had one more with a combination blade but gave it to my nephew a few years ago) and when I carry a Spyderco Military, it is the standard S30V and black G10. I guess it is because a simple, straightforward, no frills knife and can do anything I want a knife to do.
DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
DansGunBlog wrote:Thanks Radioactive! LOL been conversing with Casey Lynch on this, told him one of these days I'll get a knife he already makes clips for!

Yup, sure do have one of Casey's pry bars! I'll get some pics up of his great stuff soon, after the final exams rush and things wind down for the holiday. He's a great guy to work with and chat about living in the Pacific NW.

The lanyard is stolen from my Perrin PPT, it just matched the Micarta color so nicely, I couldn't resist! Plus it's so small that it's fairly inconspicuous. I'd love to find somebody that makes similar ones, tying my own is a technique I haven't tried to master yet. Enjoy the Millie! Cheers, Radioactive :)
Hey Radioactive, how do you like Casey's pry bar, i.e. ergos, etc.? How's it fit in the hand, and how handy are you finding it? Been looking for "the right" one and his looks intriguing.

Also how do you carry it - with the clip? I didn't care for clips on the pry tools at first, but something that size gets awkward banging around with your keys, etc. in your pocket.

Thanks!
Dan

RadioactiveSpyder

Hi Dan, I really like Casey's pry bar quite a bit! The ergos are great and it's just the right size to slip into the pocket alongside a Spydie. The quality is certainly top-notch and very well-priced, plus being a former WA stater, I just love his logos! I'll confess I haven't used it much for fear of scratching the anodizing treatment, but Casey's thread on BF has a few user pics of them as well. Here's some pics of it alongside Casey's awesome Ti PM2 scales. Cheers and Happy New Year, Radioactive :)

DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Hi Dan, I really like Casey's pry bar quite a bit! The ergos are great and it's just the right size to slip into the pocket alongside a Spydie. The quality is certainly top-notch and very well-priced, plus being a former WA stater, I just love his logos! I'll confess I haven't used it much for fear of scratching the anodizing treatment, but Casey's thread on BF has a few user pics of them as well. Here's some pics of it alongside Casey's awesome Ti PM2 scales. Cheers and Happy New Year, Radioactive :)

Hey Radioactive, WOW Beautiful Pics!! I think I just got drool on my keyboard... That pry tool really looks excellent... sigh, WANT!!!

Congrats on the Ti PM2 scales, saw a pic of them before, but ****, they look very nice!

How do you carry the pry tool... clipped in the other pocket from the PM2?
Last edited by DansGunBlog on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DansGunBlog

Post by DansGunBlog »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I'll confess I haven't used it much for fear of scratching the anodizing treatment
Nonsense! A few scratches on a prized tool are just scars from past battles... :-)

LOL My Military actually came out of the box with a white paint looking scuff mark on the tip corner of the scales... don't really care, my tools are "users", and it's such an excellent tool, I suspect it will earn a few more scars over time.

Dan

OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

I gave my youngest son a Military model for Christmas. He loves it.

I like those deep pocket clips, I think I may check into a few for mine.