JD's Top 10: In SPYDEREDGE only

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phillipsted

Re: JD's Top 10: In SPYDEREDGE only

Post by phillipsted »

JD - this is tough, since I'm not a huge fan of serrations. Don't get me wrong, I own a fair number of serrated Spydies - I just seem to find myself gravitating toward plain edges more often for the kind of work I do with them...

Here are my faves -

1. Fully serrated original Goddard Jr.
2. Fully serrated Solo SO-01
3. Partially serrated original Terzuola Jr.
4. Fully serrated Dragonfly Salt
5. Fully serrated Co-Pilot (my flying companion for many years...)
6. The new Chef's knife from last year...

TedP
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

phillipsted wrote:JD - this is tough, since I'm not a huge fan of serrations. Don't get me wrong, I own a fair number of serrated Spydies - I just seem to find myself gravitating toward plain edges more often for the kind of work I do with them...

Here are my faves -

1. Fully serrated original Goddard Jr.
2. Fully serrated Solo SO-01
3. Partially serrated original Terzuola Jr.
4. Fully serrated Dragonfly Salt
5. Fully serrated Co-Pilot (my flying companion for many years...)
You and Brother Surfingringo are really driving home the point that the H-1 Salt Series is supreme with Spyderedges>> not only is there enough evidence for a jury to decide that the H-1 Salt Series is where all the top dog Spyderedged blades are in the main Spyderco line up. I'm hearing testimony about that H-1 Dragonfly almost daily now and it doesn't even let up at all>> and I'm sure that the TASMAN is getting just as much fanfare. It would be interesting to know what the sales are between the Harpy and Tasman? I'm willing to bet that the Tasman is in the lead.

If they ever do bring back another G-10 Harpy I sure hope it will have a newer/better blade steel. I was just looking through one of my late 90s catalogs and seen those "Solo" blades you just mentioned in slot number 2. The Solo and G-Sakai both were some really nice looking designs>> Now a fully serrated CoPilot could sure be interesting>> I like small full SE blades. The SE Dodo from a few years back has always been about my very favorite; especially in Spyderedge>> even in plain edge the Dodo was phenomenal. Very interesting responses thus far guys :)

But I want to hear more about which blade steels you all like Spyderedged blades with.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

Not the biggest fan of SE here but my favs would be:

1.- ATR Ti
2.- Endura Emerson Wave
3.- R2
4.- Dodo
5.- Scorpius
6.- Worker
7.- SS Harpy
8.- Lil Matriarch
9.- Matriarch Emerson Wave
10.- Civilian
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nirvanero wrote:Not the biggest fan of SE here but my favs would be:

1.- ATR Ti
2.- Endura Emerson Wave
3.- R2
4.- Dodo
5.- Scorpius
6.- Worker
7.- SS Harpy
8.- Lil Matriarch
10.- Civilian
So there is someone else besides me that has used the Spyderedged Ti ATR :cool: This is an interesting list with probably more "Reverse S" blades and the Dodo leading the way. I also find the R2 an interesting pick>> I've had 2 of the original R model in SE but I don't believe I ever even seen the R2 in Spyderedge. But I can see why because it was a really stout blade. The R2 sort of reminded me of the old D'Allara model. So far everyone's picks have been really interesting when you see what they want in Spyderedge.

But I still want to know what everyone's favorite Spyderedged blade steels are. And when I ask it's usually some of the older ones.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

JD Spydo wrote:

1.- ATR Ti
2.- Endura Emerson Wave
3.- R2
4.- Dodo
5.- Scorpius
6.- Worker
7.- SS Harpy
8.- Lil Matriarch
10.- Civilian
So there is someone else besides me that has used the Spyderedged Ti ATR :cool: This is an interesting list with probably more "Reverse S" blades and the Dodo leading the way. I also find the R2 an interesting pick>> I've had 2 of the original R model in SE but I don't believe I ever even seen the R2 in Spyderedge. But I can see why because it was a really stout blade. The R2 sort of reminded me of the old D'Allara model. So far everyone's picks have been really interesting when you see what they want in Spyderedge.

But I still want to know what everyone's favorite Spyderedged blade steels are. And when I ask it's usually some of the older ones.
This is my R2, lovely knife and very ergonomic that deserves a better pic:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/downloa ... p?id=15686" target="_blank

Anyway my fav still is the Ti ATR which also came nicely sharp out of the box as my fingers got bitten just checking the edge... :)

I love the toothy edge you can get from S30V, but I don't think I can't tell the difference from VG-10 using SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nirvanero wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

1.- ATR Ti
2.- Endura Emerson Wave
3.- R2
4.- Dodo
5.- Scorpius
6.- Worker
7.- SS Harpy
8.- Lil Matriarch
10.- Civilian
I love the toothy edge you can get from S30V, but I don't think I can't tell the difference from VG-10 using SE.
Great!! I find that helpful and interesting>>that's one of the things I wanted to learn on this thread is which blade steel you all like the best on Spyderedges. Because they are not the same as the great steels that have the bragging rights for plain edges. AUS-8 and GIN-1 for instance are older established blade steels and neither one of them are known for super edge holding ability in plain edge but many of you love them in Spyderedge and I'm among that group that likes them for SE.

Also 440V has been dead and buried as being a popular, mainline blade steel as far as plain edges go but I'm finding a new found popularity when it's used in Spyderedges>> I was one that found that out first hand.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I've been slow to get into SE's but have really enjoyed my H-1 Pacific Salt. Like Gringo, I'm amazed that it's not getting more love here. I like to use it to cut back limbs from trails and so forth. But I've noticed that the H-1 edge tends to roll a little after awhile when used this way, and the narrow handle doesn't reduce the force to the palm very much, so I'd been wanting to try another metal and a "fleshier" handle. Enter my (second :)) Christmas knife, the D'Allara Rescue, which arrived from the bay on Christmas Eve. I can't wait to try it out.

So since these are the only ones I have, here are my favorites:

1) Pacific Salt -- great size, very light, thin, easy to carry, and great rust-proof H-1 steel. And, since I got the yellow one, great visibility. (I really wanted the awesome looking blacked out version but opted for the less scary looking high visibility to keep from alarming arachnophobes (people who are afraid of Spydies :) ).

2) D'Allara Rescue -- the heftiest spydie I've had my hands on -- it's much bigger and heavier than it even looks -- a folding hunting knife (I want the drop point.) The handle is a real handful which should distribute the force and eliminate hotspots in the palm from heavy cutting. And I'm expecting the great VG-10 steel to have the strength and toughness to hold up for my uses.

I'm very curious about everybody's SE steel preferences and why they feel that way and also what you use your SE blades for, but rather than divert this thread, I'm going to start another one.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DougC-3 wrote:So since these are the only ones I have, here are my favorites:

1) Pacific Salt -- great size, very light, thin, easy to carry, and great rust-proof H-1 steel. And, since I got the yellow one, great visibility. (I really wanted the awesome looking blacked out version but opted for the less scary looking high visibility to keep from alarming arachnophobes (people who are afraid of Spydies :) ).

2) D'Allara Rescue -- the heftiest spydie I've had my hands on -- it's much bigger and heavier than it even looks -- a folding hunting knife (I want the drop point.) The handle is a real handful which should distribute the force and eliminate hotspots in the palm from heavy cutting. And I'm expecting the great VG-10 steel to have the strength and toughness to hold up for my uses.

I'm very curious about everybody's SE steel preferences and why they feel that way and also what you use your SE blades for, but rather than divert this thread, I'm going to start another one.
Well DOUG C I share the same concerns you do in trying to learn more about why people gravitate toward different Spyderedged models.. And congratulations by the way on picking up a D'Allara model. That is a really stout pitbull of a knife for sure. And I also want to know which blade steels constitute the best properties for Spyderedged blades. Because I'm finding out that what steel makes a great plain edge doesn't necessarily make a good Spyderedge. Both edge types have their own demands and both require different criteria.

Spyderedges are just another tool and a different tool at that. I find Spyderedged blades to be great companion tools to do what most plain edges are not capable of and are not designed to do. Take the C-44 Dyad for instance>> I've said for years that model is "The Best Of Both Spyder Worlds" with one wicked plain edged blade and one well designed Spyderedged blade which is why it's probably my most favorite Spyderco model of all time so far.

To me a Spyderedge is the ideal tool for "rough-house cutting jobs". The plain edge is ideal for precision/control cutting. You need both if you are going to utilize a blade for all it's intended for. There needs to be a learning campaign for Spyderedges because most people have no idea what they excel at. It was totally by accident and fate that I learned how great of a tool Spyderedges can be and it was the same scenerio with SE Hawkbills as well.

The Spyderedge and the plain edge are 2 completely different animals all together and it's time we learn the benefits of both.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'll play as my first 2 Spydercok knives were serrated. I rarely use them outside of certain uses and only carry a serrated Cricket on a day to day basis. But for specific uses, they're impossible to beat.

1. G-10 Harpy (stainless will do if one can't find a G-10)
2. FRN Rescue (any generation)
3. Cricket (SS or Nishijin)
4. Assist (one lives in each of my vehicles)
5. Aqua Salt (an extremely ergonomic blade that is just the right size)
6. Police 3 (a long, slightly curved slicer)
7. FRN Stretch (a less expensive, more hand filling slightly curved slicer)
8. Jumpmaster (a fantasic cutter with an excellent handle)
9. Temperance (a fantastic all-rounder only eclipsed by the Aqua Salt due to availability)
10. K04 kitchen knife (used all the time, glad to see them back in the lineup)

Honorable mention
Civilian/Matriarch (fantastic blades that I hope to never have to use)

Made me really think through my 20+ years of Spyderco knives. I use more plain edges by far these days, but it doesn't overshadow the SE's that I always have handy.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JLS wrote:I'll play as my first 2 Spydercok knives were serrated. I rarely use them outside of certain uses and only carry a serrated Cricket on a day to day basis. But for specific uses, they're impossible to beat.

1. G-10 Harpy (stainless will do if one can't find a G-10)
2. FRN Rescue (any generation)
3. Cricket (SS or Nishijin)
4. Assist (one lives in each of my vehicles)
5. Aqua Salt (an extremely ergonomic blade that is just the right size)
6. Police 3 (a long, slightly curved slicer)
7. FRN Stretch (a less expensive, more hand filling slightly curved slicer)
8. Jumpmaster (a fantasic cutter with an excellent handle)
9. Temperance (a fantastic all-rounder only eclipsed by the Aqua Salt due to availability)
10. K04 kitchen knife (used all the time, glad to see them back in the lineu
Whoa!!! you got a full SE TEmperance 1???? Besides myself I rarely ever hear anyone talk about how good that blade is in SE and it's a super fixed blade in PE as well. There isn't hardly a week that goes by that I don't use my PE & SE Temp 1 models. See I'm not the only one who seen that blade for what it's worth in SE.

Another interesting pick being the Jumpmaster>> I've yet to own one but I've been impressed with what I see and with a severe shortage of Spyderedged fixed blades I'll probably be getting one of these soon. The ASSIST is just a great utility blade and one every first responder should be required to carry>> and the glassbreaker does indeed work well.

And DUDE you are truly on the same page as I am to a large extent because for you to have a G-10 Harpy>> why in the name of "Spydie" doesn't the Great Spyder Factory do another run of G-10 Harpy models I'll never know>> they would sell out in less than a week I'm sure of it. A TEMP 1 SE is just great as well as it's PE brother. Yeah JLS you got some excellent tastes with SE Spyders for sure.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

nirvanero wrote:This is my R2, lovely knife and very ergonomic that deserves a better pic:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/downloa ... p?id=15686" target="_blank

Anyway my fav still is the Ti ATR which also came nicely sharp out of the box as my fingers got bitten just checking the edge... :)

That's the R2 I have as well, phenomenal ergos on the whole R line! The R for me is like the PM2 for others, I will pick up any new R sprints that come out. I was very new to spyderco when the nishijin R sprint came out and I was drawn to the scale material, but mostly just had the spydie fever and didn't want to miss out on a sprint. Now I could take or leave the scale material, it's the design that was the true win. Loved it so much I tracked down the pictured serrated R2. I think the larger Delica shaped blade really plays well with serrations, but I like it in plain edge too.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well, I have one more SE on the way to me now, an H1, SE Dragonfly. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I would also definitey be in for a G-10 Harpy! I have a CF Harpy, but would be much more likely to use a G-10 model.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gbelleh wrote:Well, I have one more SE on the way to me now, an H1, SE Dragonfly. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I would also definitey be in for a G-10 Harpy! I have a CF Harpy, but would be much more likely to use a G-10 model.
For the life of me I can't figure why the original G-10 Harpy only made with ATS-55 blade steel was apparently a failure at the box office from what I'm told. I just have to believe that most people never got to see one in person or was even aware that they were in the main line up when they were. I would love to see a G-10 Harpy Sprint with one of the supersteels>> I truly think that XHP would make an excellent Spyderedged blade.

I also keep hearing people brag about the Dragonfly model in SE. The Dragonfly was one of the very few of the old, mainline Spyders I've never owned for whatever reason. It never got my attention but then again the Native never got much of my attention until I had a job to use it on where I thought I was going to destroy it but couldn't. Now it's one of my very favorite hard use Spyders in SE especially.

Brother all I can say is that if enough of us keep asking for a G-10 Harpy it will come to pass I'm sure of it. It's one of the most asked for discontinued models ever from what I've gathered.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Did someone say G-10 Harpy SE Sprint?? Oh, how glorious would this be? :D

Yes, Joe, we DO need to make some noise on this. If not a G-10 SE Harpy, I would love to see a rebirth of the venerable Merlin model. Maybe in orange FRN?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:Did someone say G-10 Harpy SE Sprint?? Oh, how glorious would this be? :D

Yes, Joe, we DO need to make some noise on this. If not a G-10 SE Harpy, I would love to see a rebirth of the venerable Merlin model. Maybe in orange FRN?
I would settle for a Merlin with an FRN handle and a blade made of one of the supersteels. For some reason my brain keeps telegraphing me that CTS-XHP would be a good one in SE>> but I would really love that in a G-10 Harpy. With the resurgence of the Police model in G-10 and I understand that the sales are steady if not down right good for that model. So I have to think that a G-10 Harpy would definitely garner some serious fanfare and would probably also get the attention of many collectors as well.

Brother you and I aren't not the only fans of the G-10 Harpy>> I've heard it mentioned on the Forum many times over the past 4 years. It leads me to believe that a G-10 Harpy in one of the exotic blade steels would be super> I would however be happy as a clam if they did one in VG-10. I miss my G-10 Harpy so much.

But the Merlin is also one of my favorites as well. Another gem out of the ATS-55 era :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Today I was just remembering back in the late 90s and early 2000s Spyderco took all of their premium folders were all offered up in Spyderedge like the JD Smith, Caly Jr, the Centofante C-25 & C-50, Renegade, Blackhawk, POLICE, Endura, Catcherman, and even all the variants of the Native and the 440V SE Military as well.

I do hope that trend will re-ignite before too long. Because we have several new Spyderheads here amongst us and if they ever get a taste of what I experience back in that era you would see a big newly revived interest in the Spyderedged Blades for the new fans of Spyderco.
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Hi Guys
can't comment on the top 10 but the best looking Police model has to be the original carbon fiber SE model. I never liked either Spyderco knives or serrated blades until I can across the above knife in a local gunshop. I was smitten :)
Phil
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

pmel018 wrote:Hi Guys
can't comment on the top 10 but the best looking Police model has to be the original carbon fiber SE model. I never liked either Spyderco knives or serrated blades until I can across the above knife in a local gunshop. I was smitten :)
Phil
Greetings Phil :) Haven't seen you in while>> good to have you back here at Spyderville. I had 3 of those CF Police models at one time and I even had one that the Deacon would have fought me for :eek: It was a left handed CF, SE POLICE model and it was beautiful as you said. I would love to have a Spyderedged user POLICE model either in ATS-55 or ATS-34. Those older Spyderedged Police models were mean tools to say the least.

The POLICE Model is so iconic that I hope it's still in the lineup 10 years from now. When I think of Spyderco the first two models that I see inside my head are the POLICE and the HARPY. And that CF Harpy was a really beauty too my friend. Again it's great to see some of the old school Spyderheads coming back :) Pull up a chair and stay a while ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:Did someone say G-10 Harpy SE Sprint?? Oh, how glorious would this be? :D

This just blows me away the more I think about it>> I hear mention of the G-10 Harpy almost daily anymore. But yet the Great Spyder Factory won't seem to budge on it for whatever reason :confused: With the resurgence of the G-10 Police model with the success it's had you would think that a G-10 Harpy would be a given. At least a Sprint Run if nothing else. A Sprint Run of the G-10 Spyderedged Harpy in either XHP, VG-10 or M-4 would be a "slam dunk".

Anyone who likes and uses Hawkbills as I do and as many others here at Spyderville do would all love and embrace a G-10, Spyderedged Harpy with a premium blade steel. I don't even care what color the G-10 handle would be>> but I would like a premium blade steel like the ones I mentioned and maybe even a slightly thicker blade>> which is why I like the Harpy better than I do the TASMAN or Merlin. The extra bulk and ridgidity of the Harpy makes it a great, all purpose, hard use Hawkbill.

Only a Spyderhawk in G-10 would get my attention more. An orange MERLIN you say? Interesting!!