Loupe brands

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nirvanero

Re: Loupe brands

Post by nirvanero »

I just use one of these cheap gadgets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-60X-magnif ... 48538c1f22" target="_blank

Nice magnification, though very limited FOV compared to a big loupe.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nirvanero wrote:I just use one of these cheap gadgets:

The problem I always had with those cheap loupes was the clearity was terrible in most of them. The cheap ones were also extremely sensative and if you moved even a half a millimeter it blurred your image all to ****.

I got my Bausch & Lomb unit about 10 years ago and it's been extremely clear and dependable. I'm sort of surprised that many of you Brothers from Europe haven't used some of the top grade loupes that watchmakers use. I know that the Swiss and the Germans both make excellent units but I'm not familiar with some of their brands.

When I worked in the machine tool shop a few years back is when I found out about Bausch & Lomb and most of the guys I worked with used Bausch & Lomb.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

JD Spydo wrote:

The problem I always had with those cheap loupes was the clearity was terrible in most of them. The cheap ones were also extremely sensative and if you moved even a half a millimeter it blurred your image all to ****.

I got my Bausch & Lomb unit about 10 years ago and it's been extremely clear and dependable. I'm sort of surprised that many of you Brothers from Europe haven't used some of the top grade loupes that watchmakers use. I know that the Swiss and the Germans both make excellent units but I'm not familiar with some of their brands.

When I worked in the machine tool shop a few years back is when I found out about Bausch & Lomb and most of the guys I worked with used Bausch & Lomb.
Yep, these cheap ones are a little tricky but once you set the magnification you also got a nice LED for checking your sharpening in detail, so no need for me to invest in expensive loupes although they must be pretty comfortable to use.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is the exact one I use along with a 10x, and I don't have any problems with focus. My only complaint is the small FOV, but you're going to have that with 60x magnification.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm at a point on this subject of "loupes" that I wish some of you German or Swiss Brothers would chime in and let us know of any "Watchmaker" Supply Houses that you all might be aware of. I'm going to do some internet searches in the meantime. I've already looked at 2 well known machinists supply outlets and all they seem to carry is the Bausch & Lomb.

The supply company I'm aware of that carries the ZEISS brand >> that's the only brand they seem to carry. A friend of mine I used to target shoot with was a big fan of TASCO and I seem to remember him saying that TASCO had optics like Loupes and so forth.

Now microscopes might be more available>> and I believe it is "dissecting microscopes" that are equiped to do quality control work like looking at knife edges and deburring jobs for machinists and so forth.

But this is an interesting thread because unless you can see your work up close it's hard to discern whether or not you're doing a decent job or not.
pauledst

Post by pauledst »

I just purchased a used Wild Heerbrugg M5 stereo microscope for other endeavors and wonder if it would be useful examining blade edges. It's put away until after the holidays so setting it up will be delayed to January.
I worked with Wild microscopes during my career in medical technology and always wanted one of my own....

Does anyone use a stereo microscope for knife edge evaluation?
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

A simple Lee Valley Tools 15X illuminated loupe has served me well for the past few years. It came recommended by Chapman. I thank him for the recommendation :) Clarity is quite good, no distortion, well worth $35 ;)

Charlie
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I have a couple loupes, but once I discovered how much better magnifier visors are, I'll never go back. I have one with a light mounted on it, which is enormously helpful. I am able to keep the visor tilted and easily switch from regular viewing and using magnification, without fumbling or hassle. I just move my head, and I have whatever level of magnification I want. As with loupes, it's worth paying more to get a higher-end magnifier visor. B&L makes some.

But, as with everything else, cue the people who list reasons why this is idiotic, horrible, anathema to American values, etc. etc. elvomito.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Lots of good stuff here in this thread. This isn't a discussion I see come up and obviously many of us are using magnification as part of our arsenal so it is great that we are diving into it. Keep the suggestions and experiences coming. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?