JD's Top 10: In SPYDEREDGE only

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

JD's Top 10: In SPYDEREDGE only

Post by JD Spydo »

OK in the past I've posted a JD's TOP 10 list of my ten most favorite Spyderco blades of all time. But this time I'm going to take a bit of a different twist. Being there are a blitz of threads about Spyderedged blades past and present and serrated sharpening threads and so forth. I think it's high time to honor Spyderco's great Spyderedged blades which in large part put our Great Spyder Factory on the commercial blade map to begin with. We all have our favorite Spyderco blades but for the most part we hear more about plain edged Spyders. This time let's focus on their premium Spyderedged trophies.

Here it is, my personal JD's Top 10 favorite Spyderedged Spyderco knives of all time.
(1) The C-60 SE Ayoob
(2) C-58 JD Smith SE model
(3) The Spyderhawk >> VG-10 & H-1 both
(4) C-17 AUS-8 full SE Catcherman ( mid 90s vintage)
(5) NATIVE SE model ( Golden CO USA Earth model) especially 440V
(6) G-10 Harpy SE
(7) FB-05 Temperance 1 fixed blade SE model
(8) Centofante C-50 SE > ATS-34 model
(9) Stainless handled, ATS-55 Rescue model
(10) G-10 Police SE model
also honorable mention as a sidebar (1) C-44 Dyad SE Blade
(2) K-04 & 05 Spyderco kitchen blades SE
(3) Renegade & Blackhawk models in SE ( Golden USA made)
(4) GIN-1 Mariner
(5) Tasman H-1 SE

OK what's everyone else's Top 10 favorite Serrated Spyders? Old School or New School? And please name the blade steel.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invective

Re: JD's Top 10: In SPYDEREDGE only

Post by Invective »

Okay, my Top 10 SE would have to be

1. Native SE 440V. This also holds the distinction of being the only knife I own two of.
2. Military SE 440V
3. K01 Bread Knife MBS-26
4. MeerKat Reverse S SE AUS-6
5. Worker SE Gin-1
6. K03 Large Carving Knife MBS-26
7. K04 Utility Knife MBS-26
8. Snap-It Gin-1
9. Rescue AUS-8
10. I apparently only have nine SE Spyderco knives oops so I can't finish off this list. I blame Spyderco for this for making the Native SE so well that I really don't see the need for another folding SE, although their kitchen knives are amazing as well. Which is why there are three of them on my list. If I included knives I've sold though, I would add the Dyad Jr. Such a nice knife but lacking a pocket clip or a lanyard hole I had to get rid of it.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'll play, although I do prefer plain edged blades, the spyderedge has its place for sure. I don't own a huge bevy of knives, but I'll rank my SE ones because they haven't been mentioned yet.

1. Aqua Salt SE/Black (just an awesome design, glad to see it return)
2. "R" skeletonized handle and full SE non-skeletonized blade
3. Warrior (although mostly plain edged it does have the true SE on the reverse side)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This should be an easy list.

1. Military SE (S30V)
2. Caly Jr SE (VG-10 & FRN)
3. "Ladyhawk" SE (H1)
4. Spyderhawk SE (VG-10 or H1)
5. Caly 3 SE (VG-10 & G-10)
6. Lil Matriarch SE (VG-10 & Custom G-10 scales)
7. 93mm Rescue SE (VG-10 & Blue FRN with humpback spine)
8. Caly Jr. SE (AUS-8 & Micarta)
9. Ladybug SE (VG-10 & Foliage FRN)
10. Jess Horn SE (AUS-8 & Micarta)
11. 93mm Rescue (VG-10 & Orange FRN with humpback spine)
12. JD Smith SE (VG-10 & Micarta)

13. Hoping my new K05 4" Utility in SE (MBS-26) with the red handles will move up this list with use.

*edit*
Had to seriously shift my list. I missed a pair of iconic little demons in my case. See #5 & #6 now
Last edited by xceptnl on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Ones I own now:
1. Dragonfly H1 SE
2. Ladybug Hawkbill H1 SE

I wish to own:
1. Ayoob SE (BUT with G10 scales, does not exist YET)
2. Millie SE
3. Lil Temp Leaf SE

No longer own but liked:
1. Delica SE
2. Spyderhawk H1 SE ( traded away FOOLISHLY)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

You must be joking ! :) All of you ! Any similar list should include the most iconic spyderedge blade, the allmighty Police SS,SE C07 :confused:
My list:
1.Police SS,SE-C07
2.Harpy
3.Tasman Salt
3.Pacific Salt
4.Dragonfly Salt
5...................... That's all
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

You had me at #8, JD. :) The Centofante C50 SE will always be in my top five favorite SE Spydies of all time. The SE Ayoob is also a contender for the top five without a doubt. Interestingly, my brother just tried to give me his original MIB SE Ayoob... I told him thank you, but to hang on to it, because those are about as rare as hen's teeth these days!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:You must be joking ! :) All of you ! Any similar list should include the most iconic spyderedge blade, the allmighty Police SS,SE C07 :confused:
My list:
1.Police SS,SE-C07
Please check my list again>> on item #10 I have the G-10,SE Police model listed. Believe me I would in no way slight the POLICE model which is a Spyderco icon through and through.

There are others I like as well but I put up my personal top 10>> but they are all subject to change>> because at one time my full SE Native was never even close to being on a top 10 list.. Yes things are subject to change.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:You had me at #8, JD. :) The Centofante C50 SE will always be in my top five favorite SE Spydies of all time. The SE Ayoob is also a contender for the top five without a doubt. Interestingly, my brother just tried to give me his original MIB SE Ayoob... I told him thank you, but to hang on to it, because those are about as rare as hen's teeth these days!
Believe me Spydernut we're pretty much on the same page. Because for any SE Spyder to even make my top 10 list it has to be a beast of a cutter. There are a lot of excellent pieces of Spyderco SE cutlery that didn't make the list for one reason or the other. But many of them made the list of other Brothers and Sisters.

No argument at all on the SE Ayoob and SE Centofante C-50. For the life of me I can't and probably never will understand why they didn't do some of the Sprint G-10 Ayoob model in SE :confused: With many non Spyderedged fans liking that model it just baffles me to no end. The SE Ayoob has the advantages of both edge types. Few other blade designs can make that claim.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JD Spydo wrote:
elena86 wrote:You must be joking ! :) All of you ! Any similar list should include the most iconic spyderedge blade, the allmighty Police SS,SE C07 :confused:
My list:
1.Police SS,SE-C07
Please check my list again>> on item #10 I have the G-10,SE Police model listed. Believe me I would in no way slight the POLICE model which is a Spyderco icon through and through.

There are others I like as well but I put up my personal top 10>> but they are all subject to change>> because at one time my full SE Native was never even close to being on a top 10 list.. Yes things are subject to change.
No sir, it's not the same.I am talking SS Police old school swedge blade shape C07.THAT is the icon.G10 Police is ....meh! But,no argue here.As latins used to say " degustibus non est disputandum ".
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Lot's of nice ones mentioned. I really liked my SE JD Smith a lot, but sold it in a time of weakness.

I really like my SE Cricket. It is a great little knife.

My most used SE blades are the SE Cricket and Caly 3.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
My list:
1.Police SS,SE-C07

No sir, it's not the same.I am talking SS Police old school swedge blade shape C07.THAT is the icon.G10 Police is ....meh! But,no argue here.As latins used to say " degustibus non est disputandum ".
Well the POLICE isn't the only Spyderco model with different variants. But I do understand your sentiments and where you're coming from. The original Stainless handled POLICE with a full Spyderedged blade is about as iconic as you can get>> I will admit that hands down. But just because I like a G-10 handle a bit better doesn't mean it's not a POLICE model>> because it's just another variant of the classic Spyderco POLICE model.

But I guess you could say that about the first 12 models that Spyderco rolled out from the beginning. The same case could be made for the Stainless Mariner, Stainless Harpy, Stainless Worker and all the other models from the early going. But I do agree with you to a point. And I do hope that someday they will bring back the stainless Mariner and Stainless Rescue model as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are 3 other Spyderedged classics I want to give honorable mention to>> The first one is the stainless handled Caly Jr in AUS-8>> the second model is Spyderedged D'Alton Toad model>> and not nearly enough can be said for the full SE, 440V Military model>> If I didn't like the Ayoob so much it might be my #1..

OK Crew let's brainstorm this one. I want to see a SPYDEREDGED Christmas>> JD :spyder: O
v8r

Post by v8r »

Original Police SE
Tufram Civilian SE
Scorpius SE
Dodo SE
Manix 2 SE ( have one on the way:))
Harpy SE
Massage Ayoob SE

Not 10, but some of the coolest models in full SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

v8r wrote:Original Police SE
Tufram Civilian SE
Scorpius SE
Dodo SE
Manix 2 SE ( have one on the way:))
Harpy SE
Massage Ayoob SE

Not 10, but some of the coolest models in full SE.
Whoa!! the Ayoob SE, The Dodo and the Harpy just keep coming up. I almost forgot about the Scorpius being available in SE. Never owned an SE Manix although I've heard nothing but good about them. So far I think the Spyderedged Ayoob is the winner.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Well, I'm not really a big fan of Spyderedge for most of my daily tasks, but there are a few that I do use and like very much.

1. Lil Matriarch
2. Civilian
3. Harpy
4. Tasman Salt
5. Matriarch
6. Mini Dyad
7. Cricket

That's where my SE collection ends. As you can see, I prefer SE in hawkbill or reverse S blades. But here are 3 more that I appreciate, but may not likely ever acquire.

8. Dodo
9. Massad Ayoob (I have the PE sprint, but the SE seems very appropriate for this design)
10. Police
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

[quote="gbelleh"][/quote]

Interesting line up you have there "gbelleh" :) The top 5 are all Hawkbills!! I love it!!! You're on a similar page that I've been on for years.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Edited since I forgot the WTC.

I generally despise serrations, but there are a few knives that I like in SE. For most of what I do, serrations just don't work. (Try batoning or carving wood with serrations. ;))

These are the select few knives that I prefer with serrations:

1. C39 Dyad Jr. sprint in blue FRN (The combination of PE blade and SE sheepsfoot blade makes for a unique little knife.)

2. C25G Centofante in G10 (This FFG, wharncliffe blade is a wicked cutter in SE.)

3. C81 Paramilitary 1 all black (Something about the combination of black G10, DLC, and serrations make this knife really interesting.)

4. C82 World Trade Center commemorative

These are the knives that I can tolerate in SE but would prefer in PE:

5. C70 Ti ATR
6. C36 Military 440V
7. C01 Worker
8. C05 Economy/Standard
9. C24 Blackhawk
10. C10 Endura Ti-Nitride
Last edited by GoldenSpydie on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hard to believe there is so little mention of the pacific salt!! One of my all time favorite spydies! I would also agree with Marius...the ss police is an absolutely iconic Spyderco. Don't own one but I should.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I generally despise serrations, but there are a few knives that I like in SE. For most of what I do, serrations just don't work. (Try batoning or carving wood with serrations. ;))

These are the select few knives that I prefer with serrations:

1. C39 Dyad Jr. sprint in blue FRN (The combination of PE blade and SE sheepsfoot blade makes for a unique little knife.)

2. C25G Centofante in G10 (This FFG, wharncliffe blade is a wicked cutter in SE.)

3. C81 Paramilitary 1 all black (Something about the combination of black G10, DLC, and serrations make this knife really interesting.)

These are the knives that I can tolerate in SE but would prefer in PE:

4. C05 Economy
5. C70 Ti ATR
6. C36 Military 440V
7. C01 Worker
8. C13 Pro-Grip
9. C24 Blackhawk
10. C10 Endura Ti-Nitride
Those are some extremely interesting picks you have there "GoldenSpydie" :) First off your pick of the C-25 Centofante Full Flat Grind>> I've been preaching to the entire congregation about it's big Brother the C-50 Centofante which simply has a larger/longer blade but in PE and especially in Spyderedge that knife design is just outright awesome. Also I've noticed that your full SE Military is a 440V which I've been a big fan of for years. It's ironic because when S30V came along it was supposed to replace 440V > but I have always liked 440V much better and especially in Spyderedge<>>I've never ever had a Spyderedged 440V ever chip on me and it keeps a serrated edge very well.

The Blackhawk and Renegade have always been long time sentimental favorites of mine. I've owned both in PE & SE. And GIN-1 which both were made with is not the best steel for PE but it is very rugged in Spyderedge>> Actually GIN-1 is in my top 10 for Spyderedged blades.

The Sheepsfoot SE blades of the Dyad models has a slight belly to them and for some reason they cut exceptionally well and much better than standard sheepsfoot blades.