Para 2 - Grind

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnoxButler

Para 2 - Grind

Post by KnoxButler »

Hey all! Just joined the forum here, forgive me if Im doing this wrong.

I recently decided it was time, after about a year in a half, to revamp my edc system. After doing much research and hearing so many fantastic things, I decided that the PM2 would replace my Delica 4 and Rat 1. In my travels across the internets I did hear a tale or two about the grind on a few PM2s being a bit off center. But I figured that this is something that comes with the circumstances of production that exist for a knife like the PM2, being hand ground etc.

After receiving my PM2, from a reputable dealer (not sure if were allowed to say who here), I can see why so many people love the PM2. As far as I can see in my limited time handling it that its going to stack up to be a great knife. My one grip however is that the grind was, IMO way off. Now it may just be that this is what the others were talking about with a off center grind, but the grind on my blade starts out centered near the heel and then gets progressively off center the closer to the tip you get. So much so that it appeared as though the blade curved to the side. Also there are what I would describe as hesitation marks, where it appears as though the blade was taken off the abrasive material then reapplied multiple times.

I have a bit of experience sharpening knifes from dull to hair shaving sharp, but not much with reprofiling. But I decided that I could handle reprofiling this blade.All in all I think that I have gotten the blade grind close to where I think it should be but it was messy. In my efforts I managed to scrape up the DLC on one side and the heel of the blade is lopsided.

Looking back I wish I would have not touched it and just sent it in to spyderco to have them evaluate it rather than try and take it on myself. But it is what it is. I always intended on my PM2 being used as a EDC blade and being used as it was intended and I know that it will preform fantastically despite what it looks like. But all in all the process of having to reprofiling and messing up the DLC pretty badly after only a few days of having it took a lot of the fun and joy out it for me.

Maybe Im being a baby and just need to get over it, I keep telling myself its a tool not a trophy, but I just feel kinda crappy about it.

What do you guys and galls think? Anyone had a similar experience? How did you deal with it?
SpyderNut

Re: Para 2 - Grind

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard, Knoxbutler.

Well, firstly, you're in good company here.:) The PM2 has a die-hard following of many folks. I'm sorry to hear about the blade grind being a bit off center. Even at this point in the game, I would personally send it to Spyderco's W&R department (attention to Charlynn) and ask them to touch it up for you. They likely won't be able to fix the scratches on the DLC coating, but at least you will have an improved grind. Hope this helps.

All the best,
Michael
KnoxButler

Post by KnoxButler »

Hey SpyderNut!

Fortunately I was able to recenter the grind and pride myself on being able to put an edge on it that is on par with the one that comes from the Spyderco production team. Just a little bummed things couldn't have gone better.

In the end I think its more one of those things where we all hate to get the first scratch on our new toy but in the end after years of wear would wouldn't have it any other way. Its bound to happen at some point and on the bright side at least I got this milestone out of the way.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

You are wise man, Mr Knox!
Seasons Greetings!
xinam

Post by xinam »

Why not take it a step further? Take her apart and strip the DLC and then refinish ( hand rub,stone wash, acid etch) to your liking. Or you could bite the bullet, send it back and ask them for a blade replacement?
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

KnoxButler wrote:Hey SpyderNut!

Fortunately I was able to recenter the grind and pride myself on being able to put an edge on it that is on par with the one that comes from the Spyderco production team. Just a little bummed things couldn't have gone better.

In the end I think its more one of those things where we all hate to get the first scratch on our new toy but in the end after years of wear would wouldn't have it any other way. Its bound to happen at some point and on the bright side at least I got this milestone out of the way.
Yep.. Tools.. Not Jewels!! ;) John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

KnoxButler wrote:Hey SpyderNut!

Much like the first ding on a brand new surfboard. I realized early in my surfing career that the only folks that worry about that are the ones who hang their boards in the garage and never use them. I got used to that early and started welcoming that first ding because then the paranoia period was over and you could just use the tool (surfboard) and enjoy it. I try to look and knives and other tools the same way. Embrace the ding! Sounds like you already know this trick though. Enjoy your knife! :)