Roadie - Two Holes or One?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alnamvet68

Roadie - Two Holes or One?

Post by Alnamvet68 »

It appears that there are a number of fotos out in the wild of the Spyderco Roadie. The prototype pictures shows what is described by many as a circular indentation near the tip of the blade to aid in deployment...a round nail nick if you will. Other fotos, such as this one, clearly show a second hole; so what is the official consumer version?

tvenuto

Re: Roadie - Two Holes or One?

Post by tvenuto »

Pretty sure the "double dent" is the official version.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The description on all the online dealers call it a "double dent". In fact, the description on the GPknives site says it is a "double dent". That looks like the stock photo, same as all the other sites and was doctored by GP to make it look like a hole. Why, I do not know. Sal has never said that there would be a change so he would have to chime in. It would be odd to me for a hole to be placed on the business side of the blade but that's just me.
paladin

Post by paladin »

FCM415 wrote: It would be odd to me for a hole to be placed on the business side of the blade but that's just me.
a small dowell or screwdriver or other such rod could be inserted into it for a sort of guillotine method of cutting cordage or similar mincing tasks...

I wish the Bushcraft's hole was more foreward facing like that for that type of camp chore-- it would at least be functional in some degree that way, at least

Or, if it were larger to accommodate a firesteel would be nice and utilitarian also :spyder:
Last edited by paladin on Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I could have sworn the one Sal had on him at the SFO only had a small hole near the pivot and an indent (not a hole) at the tip end.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
sal

Post by sal »

One small hole at the "proper" trademark location and one "double Dent" at the front of the blade. The hole in the front looks like a photo shop job to me.

sal
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Well, I'll have to disagree with Mt. Glesser, the Roadie indeed has two holes...one tiny trademark hole on the blade, and one in the handle for a lanyard tube....hallelujah and Merry Christmas. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Alnamvet68 wrote:Well, I'll have to disagree with Mt. Glesser, the Roadie indeed has two holes...one tiny trademark hole on the blade, and one in the handle for a lanyard tube....hallelujah and Merry Christmas. :)
They we'll have to agree to disagree. None of Mr Blonde's excellent photos near the bottom of this page of this year's Amsterdam Meet thread show a lanyard hole, so unless there's one that's drilled vertically, through the backspring, that doesn't show in any of Wouter's photos, I agree with Sal's hole count.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

But there is the pivot hole...so technically, there have to be two holes in the blade, unless it is somehow lacking a pivot hole. ;)
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

I knew there would be doubting Thomas'...here's the updated GP Knives picture of the actual knife...
http://www.gpknives.com/spydercoroadieblack.html" target="_blank
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

....and for the official seal of approval, read Post #151...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... nife/page8" target="_blank
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:But there is the pivot hole...so technically, there have to be two holes in the blade, unless it is somehow lacking a pivot hole. ;)
You're right, the pivot hole....so there's really three holes. :D

On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Not really enamored with this one, but it just occurred to me that this could essentially be considered a Spyderco "sodbuster"!

~ edge
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

On Edge wrote:Not really enamored with this one, but it just occurred to me that this could essentially be considered a Spyderco "sodbuster"!

~ edge
Yes, and by extension, an evolved traditional folder.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Looking forward to the BLUE!!! And.. The more I look at thisun, the more I do believe this will be a nice fit for a work knife!! I am thinkin!! ;) John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

So, is that what it actually looks like? With the Spyder logo proud like Sal mentioned? And with a lanyard hole for sure? I hope so. Sal, can you please let us know? I'm seeing too many different pics. I definitely like the last one.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Jazz wrote:So, is that what it actually looks like? With the Spyder logo proud like Sal mentioned? And with a lanyard hole for sure? I hope so. Sal, can you please let us know? I'm seeing too many different pics. I definitely like the last one.
The last picture is the actual knife...proud logo, lanyard hole, and finished pivot screw on one side.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I can't wait for the other color options...I may have to grab a black one to tide me over.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Alnamvet68 wrote:I knew there would be doubting Thomas'...here's the updated GP Knives picture of the actual knife...
http://www.gpknives.com/spydercoroadieblack.html" target="_blank
Glad to be wrong on this one. To me, the lanyard hole makes the production Roadie better than the prototype. I may not use a fob on small knives very often, but it's nice to be able to do so if I wish. Plus, the size and weight make it an excellent candidate for use as a key chain knife, something that would be impossible without that hole.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

I've carried one every day since they came in (about a month). works well, user friendly. I've cut a wide variety of things from packages to food, even sushi. Carried it in place of my regular Manbug.

sal