I need new sharpening system. Any suggestions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
All-R-Crazy

I need new sharpening system. Any suggestions?

Post by All-R-Crazy »

I currently stationed in Alaska for the military and when I got stationed here I had to leave most of my knives and my sharp maker back with my dad. Since my dad doesn't have any other way to sharpen knives I'm going to leave my sharp maker with him but that leaves me in a delica because I got some knives up here but no way to sharpen them what r your guys suggestion of what I should get to sharpen/reprofile knives?

Edit I decided for sharp maker with diamond stones and a if stone for thoose reprofiling and high Polish edges along with a salt 1 with a mod to the tip to make it pointier when I recieve the salt
Last edited by All-R-Crazy on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
araneae

Re: I need new sharpening system. Any suggestions?

Post by araneae »

Another sharpmaker ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Maybe a Goldenstone for touch-ups? I hear good things. The Sharpmaker is certainly a portable winner tho :).

My 701 profile stones are travel buddies but sadly those are discontinued.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

DMT diafolds xtra coarse, coarse with a spyderco double stuff to retouch and stropman strop or flexx strop to polish and finish. But it might come a little more expensive than sharpmaker.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Sharpmaker is a very nice tool, especially if you are into sharpening for perfection,

If you just want quick and easy, check out the Worksharp. For sharpening regularly used (EDC) knives, I've found it super convenient. There's an upgraded (Ken Onion edition) version with a bunch of adjustments, but if you just want to keep a couple user knives sharp, the standard one is great.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

If you're not opposed to power driven systems, you could look into Paper Wheels.
I've been using them since 2009 with good results.
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

kwakster wrote:If you're not opposed to power driven systems, you could look into Paper Wheels.
I've been using them since 2009 with good results.
I'm not opposed to that but I'm currently living in the barracks so that not even a possibility for me, so I'm going to try and master the sharp maker I have coming before trying other methods like freehand or when I can wheels or belts
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Warthog Classic, Case soft Arkansas oil stone approximately one and a half by five inches and a Smith's pull through ceramic on your keychain and possibly a diamond sharpener
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Sharpmaker is probably as good an option as you'll find. Can't you put the rods in the base and use them as a bench stone?

Curious. Where are you? I was in the USAF and was at Shemya twice. Once for one year and one other time for 1.5 years. The second time I extended my tour because I didn't like the assignment they gave me. I did have to process through Elmendorf AFB at Anchorage. VERY pretty country.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

sand paper on a mouse pad
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

jackknifeh wrote:Sharpmaker is probably as good an option as you'll find. Can't you put the rods in the base and use them as a bench stone?

Curious. Where are you? I was in the USAF and was at Shemya twice. Once for one year and one other time for 1.5 years. The second time I extended my tour because I didn't like the assignment they gave me. I did have to process through Elmendorf AFB at Anchorage. VERY pretty country.
I'm located on fort wainwright right outside of Fairbanks and it is beautiful country. My unit is b co 70BEB 1/25 striker brigade combat team. My mos is 12B and I am with a route clearance platoon so I get to have fun with Buffaloes and huskies with the occasional striker thrown in.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

All-R-Crazy wrote:
jackknifeh wrote:Sharpmaker is probably as good an option as you'll find. Can't you put the rods in the base and use them as a bench stone?

I'm located on fort wainwright right outside of Fairbanks and it is beautiful country. My unit is b co 70BEB 1/25 striker brigade combat team. My mos is 12B and I am with a route clearance platoon so I get to have fun with Buffaloes and huskies with the occasional striker thrown in.
Sounds like fun. You ARE way up north. What is it right now, dark all the time? Or light all the time?
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

jackknifeh wrote:
Sounds like fun. You ARE way up north. What is it right now, dark all the time? Or light all the time?
The sun rose at 10:58 and set at 14:42 today so it's just a little dark thankfully it's been a mild winter so far with the coldest temps being around -20 degrees F and average days between 0 and -10 F
Holland

Post by Holland »

I love my wicked edge, but if I was in your position I would buy another sharp maker with diamond stones
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

For functionality and portability I would recommend another sharpmaker and a dmt diafold. Either coarse/fine for maintenance or x-coarse/coarse for heavier work.