Can I put Matriarch Blade in Endura frame?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Polecat

Can I put Matriarch Blade in Endura frame?

Post by Polecat »

Hey gang, is it possible to put my Matriarch blade into an endura handle/frame? Is it a simple switch?

I think it would be cool to have a G10 Foliage handled Matriarch.

Thanks,
Dave
All-R-Crazy

Re: Can I put Matriarch Blade in Endura frame?

Post by All-R-Crazy »

I would say might as well try it if u want that combo but be prepared not to have the lock bar flush and perfect looking
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Just make sure the back spacer on the donor handle is notched out to create room for the Matriarch tip.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends.

The original Matriarch and first Sprint ones shared the "Endura 3" handle, so the blade from one would be unlikely to fit either the Endura 4 or Martriarch 2 handle. It would, however, fit the Pacific Salt handle, assuming you can find suitable screws to replace the pins and subject to the caveats below.

The early Endura 4 handles lack the notch in the backspacer that PanChango allueded to, so they would not work without modification. The newest Endura 4 handle should work with the Matriarch 2 blade.

The caveat to all this is that, as with any blade swap, winding up with a reliable and attractive knife cannot be guaranteed. That's true even if, as recommended, you swap blade and lockbar as a unit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xinam

Post by xinam »

Move the endura scales to the matriarch frame and backspacer. Check that fit is to your liking. Light sanding if needed .
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Great guys, thanks for the insight!
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

Polecat wrote:Great guys, thanks for the insight!
I'm pretty sure the suggestions will only work with a recent production FRN Endura. You would almost certainly need to modify the steel backspacer on the G10 Endura if swapping the blade and lockbar, and even if the holes match between the G10 scales and the much thinner, nested liners of the Matriarch frame, you won't be able to use the FRN scales with the G10 liners.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.