Discussion of the Titanium/Elmax Pingo and Squeak

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Discussion of the Titanium/Elmax Pingo and Squeak

Post by Donut »

So, it's been about two years since the G-10, Titanium, and Carbon Fiber UKPK's were discontinued. I remember seeing that Sal said he wasn't going to forget UK when it comes to premium models.

The news of the Titanium/Elmax models are the first thing that I've seen backing the idea of premium slipjoints that will be legal in the UK.

This is great news for me considering how much I love the Squeak and Pingo.

Somewhat off topic, I think I've mentioned this before, but with the Italy factory using N690Co, having Bohler steels (N690Co, M390, K390) to use, and having the Golden factory overburdened with the Para 2 production. Wouldn't it be nice to move the Golden Slip-it's to Italy? If you look at the Pingo, those Italy Slip-it's are nicely priced, as well. I'm kinda liking CTS-BD1 as a user, steel, though.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
StuntZombie

Re: Discussion of the Titanium/Elmax Pingo and Squeak

Post by StuntZombie »

I have to say, I was actually rather surprised to find the Slip-it I picked up a few months ago was actually made in Golden. I was under the impression they either came from Italy or Japan.

I still want to pick up a Pingo, but now I'm torn on whether I should wait for the premium model. It's a sharp looking knife (pun intended).
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Donut wrote:So, it's been about two years since the G-10, Titanium, and Carbon Fiber UKPK's were discontinued. I remember seeing that Sal said he wasn't going to forget UK when it comes to premium models.d.
I would really like to see some premium UKPK's too. I don't think he's forgotten, I would say that the PITS Folder is pretty premium.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I can't wait for the Pingo sprint. It's at the top of my "must buy" list. I was shocked at how much I liked the Pingo I bought for travel to restrictive jurisdictions. I can't wait to upgrade it.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Donut wrote:So, it's been about two years since the G-10, Titanium, and Carbon Fiber UKPK's were discontinued. I remember seeing that Sal said he wasn't going to forget UK when it comes to premium models.d.
I would really like to see some premium UKPK's too. I don't think he's forgotten, I would say that the PITS Folder is pretty premium.
You're right about that. On that note, there's also the Dog Tag. I think there are a few models that I overlook.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I see some titanium engraving in my future. Though I think the Pingo's spyder design looks great, I was hoping for plain titanium so I could embellish it. That's okay because I really like the Squeak, too. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jazz wrote:I see some titanium engraving in my future. Though I think the Pingo's spyder design looks great, I was hoping for plain titanium so I could embellish it. That's okay because I really like the Squeak, too. :cool:
I'd bet that the logo would come off pretty easy. Either with a Scotchbrite pad or sharpening stone or oven cleaner.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The Ti Pingo (after removing the purple ano treatment) is an absolute must-have for me!! I use the black FRN version as my Domino EDC companion and always secretly dreamed of a Ti version to complement it better. I'm sure many of you saw that awesome Ti scale mod of a Pingo on BF (I'll try to find link), and after that it was a waiting game when Sal first mentioned months ago that these were in the works. The Squeak doesn't do it for me (not that I won't snag one ;)), but I really was hoping to see a Ti URBAN, alongside the awesome new FRN version of it. Great new LBK offerings this year (purple Dragonfly, yay!)! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

This one is going to be a big hit for the UK market, a lot of people are eagerly waiting for a premium UK legal carry, the PITS is another big one for us but the squeak is the perfect size imo it's "cute" which over here is a massive plus it looks like a handy tool rather than a "stabby weapon"..

Personally I think the perfect UK legal knife would be a non locking dragonfly, the handle is a bit bigger than the squeak slightly better ergos for me (really is the little big knife) I think it would take the UK market by storm :eek:

Thanks Sal and spyderco for looking after ALL your customers you have given the UK some great ergonomic legal carry knives and we all appreciate you catering for our needs..

Thanks Lee
Census Taker

Post by Census Taker »

I absolutely agree with you Leeroy. The Ti Pingo will be a must for me and supplement the PITS. I've just bought a Burch Chubby as my Christmas pressie to me, and I think that if that were produced as a slip joint it would go down very well here in the UK too.

I also echo your thanks to Sal and Spyderco for not forgetting us in the UK and wish you all a very happy Christmas and New Year.

All the best, Ian
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Lee, Ian,

We of the "colonies" must respect our ancestry. ;)

The Ti Squeak and Pingo were direct results of requests I received on British Blades....as was the PITS and the new Urban. We could also easily make a Ti Urban.

sal
swigert

Post by swigert »

Sal when can we expect the pits to ship?
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

sal wrote:Thanx Lee, Ian,

The Ti Squeak and Pingo were direct results of requests I received on British Blades....as was the PITS and the new Urban. We could also easily make a Ti Urban.

sal
Thx Sal for the info! These knives will certainly find the way to my collection and pocket :D Please do make a Ti Urban aswell!!
Essexman

Post by Essexman »

It only seems a little while ago this was talked about and now it's really happening, can't wait!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

A wharncliff titanium Urban would be a nice little slicer.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Neil2188

Post by Neil2188 »

sal wrote:Thanx Lee, Ian,

sal
Hi sal,

A TI urban sounds very very good to me :)

Merry Xmas

Neil
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

An Elmax Pingo may push me over the edge on this model. I'll be watching this one.
LC Kid

Ti Awesomeness!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

sal wrote: We could also easily make a Ti Urban.

sal
As said, you're the man Sal! :spyder:

A Ti Urban would be the best possible companion for the Ti UKPK. :cool:

And the Ti Pingo is certainly a must have. :D
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Elmax??? Tell me more.. Not familar with this.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

jmh58 wrote:Elmax??? Tell me more.. Not familar with this.. John :)
No experience of it either buts it's what's on the lionspy and it's been on a para 2 exclusive recently... From what I have heard it's similar to s30v/cts-Xhp?!