Titanium Damascus Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LampRanch

Titanium Damascus Delica

Post by LampRanch »

I have been contemplating this knife for awhile now. I've become more fond of the "gentleman" knives of late and think this one fits the bill.
Anybody have one and if so how do you like it? Any comparison pics (caly 3, sage) would be greatly appreciated!
3rdGenRigger

Re: Titanium Damascus Delica

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I love mine. VERY slim thickness and slim handle "Height" cause it to carry exceptionally unobtrusively. I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but it seriously grew on me, and much more so after I got one almost a year ago. The bead blasted finish is a pleasant change on the handles, and the extra chamfering of the edges relieve any potential hot spots caused by the extra slimness. I carry mine regularly. Not sure what comparison pics I have but I'll go digging. It's too dark now and I have to be up early, but I'll take some comparison pictures with my Caly 3 and Sage 3 and 4 tomorrow for you...any other models you'd like a comparison picture with?

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
nevermind35

Post by nevermind35 »

I would highly recommend a titanium damascus Delica, or a damascus Delica of any variety. As we speek, Im fondling my damascus, blue jigged bone Delica with anodised titanium bolsters. I love pretty much everything about it. I dont carry it very often honestly because of the lack of pocket clip, however when im just hangin out around the house ill have it in my pocket quite often. This thing gets SCARY sharp with its vg-10 core and cuts like the dickens with its think ffg profile. It just feels really good in hand. This is a knife that really belongs in the pocket of a suit. In fact I do believe I carried it at my sisters wedding while wearing my suit. Go get one!
LampRanch

Post by LampRanch »

Thanks guys. Your description and pictures were just what I wanted to see. I'll be ordering one tomorrow!
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

I have one and I love it. It is my favorite spyderco, and my favorite all around knife. It is stunningly beautiful and it feels great in the hand. It also has the very best jimping I have ever felt. And it has a very useful vg-10 core.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

It is my gentlemans folder, it looks awesome and even non knife people can't help liking it
stevekolt

Post by stevekolt »

It's my "Sunday going to meeting knife." I had the opportunity to go to a fairly local knife shop, and sift through 13 different specimens to find the one with the damascus pattern I liked best. Well worth the effort.
LampRanch

Post by LampRanch »

Received mine last week and it is a great looking knife. I carried it to church yesterday and it dissapeared in my suit jacket pocket. I removed the clip and love how thin the scales are. My only gripe is how stiff the lock back and pivot are but I've oiled it and opened/closed it a lot and it seems to be smoothing out. Thanks for all your opinions.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

LampRanch wrote:Received mine last week and it is a great looking knife. I carried it to church yesterday and it dissapeared in my suit jacket pocket. I removed the clip and love how thin the scales are. My only gripe is how stiff the lock back and pivot are but I've oiled it and opened/closed it a lot and it seems to be smoothing out. Thanks for all your opinions.
Heh...I had mine at church yesterday too, though it was clipped to my jeans pocket where a Spydie always is. Dressing up for me is a nice button up shirt, nice jeans, and my nice cowboy boots lol.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

...and a nice knife!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I got one about three weeks ago. I picked it out from three in a photo a dealer emailed me, and I'm pretty stuck on it (no pun!) -- I've carried it every day since I got it. Mine also has a very stiff back spring. It has loosened up a bit, and I've grown a callous on the side of my thumb I depress the lock with :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

The black on the blade has turned grey. Is this normal?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:The black on the blade has turned grey. Is this normal?
I think it depends on what you use it for. Mine had a tiny scratch near the spydie hole and I tried buffing it out with a Dremel pad, which seemed to lighten the black a little. Overall it may not be as black as brand new, but it's pretty close. I think friction will wear the black material quicker than the VG-10. Also, I think I read somewhere in the forums about someone using some kind of cleaner or solvent which had an effect on the black, non-ferrous layers, I think maybe lightening them a little.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Is the blade prone to scratching or rusting ?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

elena86 wrote:Is the blade prone to scratching or rusting ?
Not in my very limited experience. I think the miniscule scratch on mine was there when I got it. It was in the VG-10 at the blade hole and maybe it could have been made somehow when the hole was cut. I have to have the light just right to see it. Just checked for fading of the black again and noted that subtle changes in light angle make the dark areas look either deep black or gray, but I believe a very small amount of overall lightening may have occurred since I got it (not sure). I don't think the nonferrous metal is as tough (or strong or whatever) as the VG-10.