I'll see your Spyderco and raise you another!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
IG-88

Re: I'll see your Spyderco and raise you another!

Post by IG-88 »

GSO's Image List

Image There will be mistakes, so when you find them, just chuck me an PM and I will fix them.

Total Image = 954

Couldn’t do this list without Spydiewiki.
The guys have done a great job there.
Last edited by IG-88 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Finally a bit of time and a challenge I can match. I'll see the catalog and raise a C35PBK IATSE (International Association of Theatrical Stage Employee} Union Local 12 Knife. I'm able to take some time to go through some of my Spyderco collection and find I am a hoarder. Luckily the boxes are small or I could die in a cave-in. I've run into a few duplicates, so does anyone need a 2009(GONE), 2010(GONE), or 2011(GONE) small product guide? Please only hit me up via email, not on this thread. It'll be 1st come 1st served. I hate to just throw these out, if someone else has the sickness I do and thinks they really need these. I FOUND ANOTHER 2009 IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED!
Attachments
IMAG0346.jpg
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I'll raise my IATSE Q with a Royal Q. Royal is a metal working company in the New York area. I wrote them a letter and they responded that they had contracted with Spyderco to make this knife once for a 100 units, and then maybe again for another 100 units.
Attachments
IMAG0337.jpg
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Qcrazy wrote:I'll raise my IATSE Q with a Royal Q. Royal is a metal working company in the New York area. I wrote them a letter and they responded that they had contracted with Spyderco to make this knife once for a 100 units, and then maybe again for another 100 units.
Sweet raises!! i love those Q's and thx for sharing the little story behind the knife, fun to read!

Amazing that you contacted some of those companies! Great idea!
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Alright, Lets make an iffy raise. I'll raise my Royal Q with a home made Ferrari Q. This is a knife that Spyderco made, though few (1-2) and hand delivered them to Enzo Ferrari in Italy. I happened to run down a gentleman that had worked for GBC a metal working company here in Colorado that was first used to cut the Q blades before Spyderco bought their own cutting equipment. This blade and a few other interesting designs were found in a bucket in this guys shed. They were in a unfinished rough blade cut out, not heat treated and not ground. I had them heat treated and ground to help bring out their beauty. I then put this one into a red FRN scale, since there should be no other color for a Ferrari knife. Please let me know if this is a taboo type raise and I'll stop, or more are coming this way. Living in Spyderco country helps put me in a advantageous position when it comes to odd finds.
Attachments
IMAG0347.jpg
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Amazing knife :eek:
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Another raise to a HILTI fastening systems Q knife. This one I don't think ever made it to production. This blade as well as a few others I have were bottom dwellers in that bucket. My guess is that Spyderco made many company logo cuts hoping that more companies would jump on the Q knife as a employee reward or a company advertisement. C35PBK
Ruling please: I have a few of these oddities. I could string a few pictures together to get through this and back to challenges that everyone has a opportunity to match. My current raises monopolize this thread, though I'd like to help fill out the Q list.
Attachments
IMAG0349.jpg
Reject

Post by Reject »

Qcrazy wrote:
Ruling please: I have a few of these oddities. I could string a few pictures together to get through this and back to challenges that everyone has a opportunity to match. My current raises monopolize this thread, though I'd like to help fill out the Q list.

Image More Please!

I like the way you have been doing it. :) One at a time, with it's own little story.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Fill them up and let them overflow ... :cool:
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I'll raise my Hilti Q with another that never made it to distribution. This one is an Eddie Bauer Q for the clothing company. Same story as the last in that it was cut by GBC and ended up in a discard bucket. Merry Christmas All!
Attachments
IMAG0350.jpg
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

I'll raise a fern leaf Q. These were some of the first design Q's done in my understanding. They were used to show the versatility of the cutting available and the area available for customization. Spyderco did cutouts on blades from geometric shapes, web and leaf patterns, and even one Q with just the perimeter, showing a full open area of use for any design a customer could imagine. I think this knife design should have taken off since it was voted the knife of the year in 1995 in Blade Magazine. As a promotion Blade Magazine offered a "Blade" Q for $10.00 if a subscriber renewed their membership for 3 years. The market just never seemed to pop for these knives.
Attachments
IMAG0351.jpg
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Another Q raise, well I'd have never thought.....okay I'll raise a geometric shape Q that matches the initial R knife. On with a bit of the story as I know it. Costs continued to rise in the making of these knives since as we all know Spyderco never skimps, profits were dropping. Orders that came in for the custom knives often came with stipulations that all only went to the company that ordered them, thus eliminating other sales or collecting of variations. The Q finally died a slow death in about 2003.
Attachments
IMAG0352.jpg
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Qcrazy wrote:Another Q raise, well I'd have never thought.....okay I'll raise a geometric shape Q that matches the initial R knife. On with a bit of the story as I know it. Costs continued to rise in the making of these knives since as we all know Spyderco never skimps, profits were dropping. Orders that came in for the custom knives often came with stipulations that all only went to the company that ordered them, thus eliminating other sales or collecting of variations. The Q finally died a slow death in about 2003.
It's a **** shame.
The Q's are great little knives!
Handled one in a store a while back,
never owned one sadly.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

And another. This is a Prospector Outfitters Q with Alaska in script. This company had two different Q's made for them. This was their first design. When I stop to think of how few pieces (6 in the 1st gen. 7 for the 2nd gen) make up this knife, and the final weight of these knives (1.25oz) that includes a blade lock, one hand opening, and the cutting ability of this LBK I'm awed.
Attachments
IMAG0353.jpg
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Yet another Q. This is a PE New York custom knife show Q. This is one of a few Q's that came in all three blade offerings. I've seen many of these in CE and SE though this is the only one I've ever seen in PE. This one showed up on Ebay a few years ago and the price didn't go too high so I got it. Collecting these knives has been fun. I think I like the hunt as much as the owning. C35PBK New York
Attachments
IMAG0354.jpg
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Qcrazy wrote:I think I like the hunt as much as the owning.
I understand very well your feelings.
Please don't stop showing us your Q's :cool:
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Wicked Q serie ! I love the Q's and a nice fact, with this raise the Q has become the biggest family in the list. The knife most listed used to be the Delica with 45 different knives, but now the Q's are at 46 :) Keep them coming :D
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I'll raise one more Q tomorrow then jump to something else. I need more time to go through things and take pictures (even though my pictures look like I take them like Spyderco is accused of designing their knives (in the dark)). This Q tomorrow could likely be raised, I guess we'll see soon.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

What, no Q? I've been going through some knives and ran across a few oddities that aren't on the list, so here goes. I'll raise a Solo CE SO01PS.
Attachments
IMAG0356.jpg
Invective

Post by Invective »

Qcrazy wrote:What, no Q? I've been going through some knives and ran across a few oddities that aren't on the list, so here goes. I'll raise a Solo CE SO01PS.
Ooh nice raise! I've been looking for a Micarta Solo for a while now but it seems they've all but dried up! Although I wouldn't mind a sprint, I just love the slimness of the blade and handle, I've really moved towards smaller profile knives and it's hard to find those in Spydies. Best I've found was the Jess Horn, but I didn't like that as much as the Solo.