December Spyderco Byte . . New Steels on the horizon!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Re: December Spyderco Byte . . New Steels on the horizon!

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Ankerson wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:Very curious what the steels will be used on.

20V mule would be sweet. Maybe a Millie? Come on Sal you know you want to.

RWL-34 at 62 would be really nice in a Military I think.

http://www.tigheknives.com/pdf/rwl34-datasheet.pdf" target="_blank
Have a big old new Millie smile on my face right now.

Since you are tight with Sal you should give him a gentle nudge in the new sweet Mille direction.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I was looking at incorrect composition numbers earlier on the CTS B70. Carpenter says:
Carpenter® CTS® B70P Alloy

Nominal Analysis
1.10 C, 0.40 Mn, 0.025 Max. Ph, 0.01 Max. S, 0.30 Si, 14.00 Cr, 2.00 Mo, 0.25 Nb, 1.00 V, Bal. Fe ®

A powder metallurgy derivative of Carpenter’s CRB-7 alloy offering enhanced wear resistance and hardness capability and similar corrosion resistance compared with Type 440C stainless steel.

Carpenter CTS B70P alloy is a high-chromium, air-hardening steel containing additions of molybdenum, vanadium and niobium. The fine, uniform carbide structure provided by the P/M processing improves edge retention and grinding/polishing characteristics which make the alloy an excellent candidate for cutlery applications
Should have a nice edge for those who like polished blades. I'm looking forward to this.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

But the real question is, which steel will be the best choice for a new millie ? :)

My vote is ... 4V ;)
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

dogrunner wrote:But the real question is, which steel will be the best choice for a new millie ? :)

My vote is ... 4V ;)
Is there a answer D? All of the above.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

dogrunner wrote:But the real question is, which steel will be the best choice for a new millie ? :)

My vote is ... 4V ;)

I would say RWL-34, nice steel that is well balanced performance wise and if in the 62 range it will perform very well without be difficult to deal with sharpening wise for the majority of people. Will be pretty much the same as CPM 154 in the same hardness range, not to be confused with ATS-34 and 154CM as they are very different due to the differences in processes.

2nd would be CPM 20CV, nice solid steel with good performance, pretty much the same as M390/204P so those who have used them will know what to expect for the most part.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Mastiff wrote:I was looking at incorrect composition numbers earlier on the CTS B70. Carpenter says:

Nominal Analysis
1.10 C, 0.40 Mn, 0.025 Max. Ph, 0.01 Max. S, 0.30 Si, 14.00 Cr, 2.00 Mo, 0.25 Nb, 1.00 V, Bal. Fe ®

A powder metallurgy derivative of Carpenter’s CRB-7 alloy offering enhanced wear resistance and hardness capability and similar corrosion resistance compared with Type 440C stainless steel.

Carpenter CTS B70P alloy is a high-chromium, air-hardening steel containing additions of molybdenum, vanadium and niobium. The fine, uniform carbide structure provided by the P/M processing improves edge retention and grinding/polishing characteristics which make the alloy an excellent candidate for cutlery applications
Should have a nice edge for those who like polished blades. I'm looking forward to this.
I forget what model was supposed to have B70P, but they were saying it was similar to BG-42. Carpenter had some supply issues and they changed the steel out at the last minute. It might have been the BD30P Manix.

We're still waiting on the model with that steel.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Skywalker wrote: And RWL-34 is a powder steel in the 154CM/ATS-34/CPM154 family? Though with the "Damasteel" designation, does that just mean that Damasteel is who Spyderco plans to buy it from, not that we should expect any kind of damascus?
http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0" target="_blank
Damasteel supplies RWL-34, DAMASTEEL and Nitrobe-77 and ERASTEEL is the manufacturer of Nitrobe 77, RWL-34 and PMC 27 that Damasteel uses to make DAMASTEEL patterns to my knowledge.

In my opinion what sets RWL-34 is its purity. ERASTEEL takes great care in making a very pure and homogenous product.

I am with Ankerson on this one. If there is a Military in this steel I will make a plan to get one. I prefer RWL-34 to S90V, CPM-M4 and S30V.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I'm more excited for RWL-34 than any of the others! I'd love a Military, Para 2 and Manix 2 in it.

I read a long time ago that it's name is an homage to Bob Loveless and his use and promotion of ATS-34. Hence, the RWL, Robert W. Loveless.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

WireEdge Roger wrote:I'm more excited for RWL-34 than any of the others! I'd love a Military, Para 2 and Manix 2 in it.

I read a long time ago that it's name is an homage to Bob Loveless and his use and promotion of ATS-34. Hence, the RWL, Robert W. Loveless.

RWL-34/CPM 154 develops a complicated carbide matrix in the higher ranges with the right HT so the performance tends to be better than some would think based on the alloy content.

Being PM steels that just enhances the overall performance in general and IMO makes it one of the better well balanced steels available.
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

Donut wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:I was looking at incorrect composition numbers earlier on the CTS B70. Carpenter says:

Nominal Analysis

I forget what model was supposed to have B70P, but they were saying it was similar to BG-42. Carpenter had some supply issues and they changed the steel out at the last minute. It might have been the BD30P Manix.

We're still waiting on the model with that steel.
I think that was 75p not 70p.
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

I'm a bit late to the dance, but what is a little molybdenum between friends? B70P and B75P are pretty similar, and we already have a mule in B75P.
Oh, by the way, since when does phosphorous have an "h" in the element symbol? Phosphorous was just "P" when I studied chemistry.