Candidate For the H-1 Salt Series: The Superhawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PayneTrain

Re: Candidate For the H-1 Salt Series: The Superhawk

Post by PayneTrain »

SpyderNut wrote:Joe,

Yes, yes, and YES! My suggestion: Keep it true to the original Superhawk with a back lock, but with a yellow FRN handle, fully serrated blade, and H1 steel.

To go on the wild side, I'd kill to see it in lime green FRN with a black SE blade (ala USN style) in LC200N. :D
Noooo, only reason I'd be interested in it is for the compression lock. Otherwise I'd just get the Tasman which I'm probably going to get regardless because I can't wait that long. And no to the USN style. Come on SpyderNut, you're ruining this for me! :p
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

PayneTrain wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Joe,

Yes, yes, and YES! My suggestion: Keep it true to the original Superhawk with a back lock, but with a yellow FRN handle, fully serrated blade, and H1 steel.

To go on the wild side, I'd kill to see it in lime green FRN with a black SE blade (ala USN style) in LC200N. :D
Noooo, only reason I'd be interested in it is for the compression lock. Otherwise I'd just get the Tasman which I'm probably going to get regardless because I can't wait that long. And no to the USN style. Come on SpyderNut, you're ruining this for me! :p
Haha! Ok, ok. I'll recant my petition. (Maybe we could get the USN style as a Sprint? :D ).
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

SpyderNut wrote: Haha! Ok, ok. I'll recant my petition. (Maybe we could get the USN style as a Sprint? :D ).
Well the best answer to "which knife should I get" is both, so it only makes sense that the best answer to "which knife should Spyderco make" is...BOTH!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:Can we just make a few improvements to the Spyderhawk?

My improvements might include:

1. Unlined G-10 handle
2. 3mm thick blade
3. Flat grind the almost flat side
4. High Hollow grind the edge side. (maybe high saber grind it)
5. Lock improvments, either the Native 5 FRN type or a Power Lock if possible.

I can't help but ask for a ZDP Plain edge sprint. :)
Donut the more I think about that I believe you may just be right. Because to tell you the truth I do like the Spyderhawk better than I do the SUPERHAWK. But I did always wonder what the Superhawk would be like with a Spyderedge. But due to the popularity of the Spyderhawk there is probably a lot bigger chance of seeing an improved Spyderhawk rather than a revamped Superhawk>> and with the very limited box office appeal that the SUPERHAWK had it would be extremely dicey for Spyderco to try to reintroduce it the more I think about. I guess it was just one of those "wishful thinking" I get hit with from time to time. But I still can't for the life of me figure why they never offered the Superhawk with a Spyderedge :confused:

But you've convinced me that a newly improved Spyderhawk makes much more sense. I guess I've just got to admit that I was going down the wrong path for sure. I like your idea of a thicker blade but I would like to see a different handle material as well for a revamped Spyderhawk. I'm also now wondering what they could do to spice up the TASMAN in SE?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Because it was voted on by the forum and they voted PE. I wasn't here when this took place i was here in time to buy one though. If i remember correctly the superhawk was a cater made knife for spyderco forum members. Their input and possible approval was used to make this knife happen and of course like the general public they voted against SE. Sal does a lot for us but if a product isn't selling well they have no choice but to discontinue it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:Because it was voted on by the forum and they voted PE. I wasn't here when this took place i was here in time to buy one though. If i remember correctly the superhawk was a cater made knife for spyderco forum members. Their input and possible approval was used to make this knife happen and of course like the general public they voted against SE. Sal does a lot for us but if a product isn't selling well they have no choice but to discontinue it.
Yeah I was gone for a while when that vote took place. I do think that the big Hawkbill thread was one of the driving forces that brought that model about. He probably just did it to get me to shut up for a while :D :rolleyes:

But when I finally got a couple of them I was sorely disappointed that there were no Spyderedged versions. This is another reason I would like to see Spyderco open up a part of their repair department to custom make some of their models into Spyderedges. I don't see how they would lose if you had to pay for the service up front and with all the people I talk to that want various models in Spyderedge I do think it would keep at least one employee going full time modifying plain edges into Spyder edges>> why just the amount of people that want the Captain model in SE alone would make me look into it if I were the company man making the decisions.

I do hope that someday the Spyderedge will have a renewed interest and fervor like people had for them in the mid to late 90s. Most people I've talked to just don't give them a fair trial. I myself was forced into using one in a desperate situation whereas if I had my plain edge with me that day I would have never given that VG-10 Spyderhawk a chance that it deserved>> I was forced into becoming a Spyderedge convert and have enjoyed it ever since. And I won't quit preaching the Gospel of Spyderedges :D :cool:
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm with you now, JD. :)

I wonder how much the price would be raised to get a run of Salts with the Delica/Endura 4 improvements. How much does a thin liner of titanium cost? How much more does the rust proof hardware cost?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD I'm also sure i read somewhere each Serrated model has a custom grinding wheel to make the serrations in the blade. There are knife shops and custom makers who will serrate anything. I would personally look into that. Tom Veff put serrations on my PE Spyderhawk. I think he grinds conventional serrations too. Just putting that out there.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:I'm with you now, JD. :)

I wonder how much the price would be raised to get a run of Salts with the Delica/Endura 4 improvements. How much does a thin liner of titanium cost? How much more does the rust proof hardware cost?
OK I was indeed going down the wrong path>> but that's why we have these threads is to discuss the "pros" and "cons" of these proposed projects. Yes it does make more sense to revamp, restore and improve the H-1 Spyderhawk. I do like the Superhawk and hope to see it again someday in SE but this isn't the time and the Salt Series isn't the place. But I'm not finished yet.

The Spyderhawk does need to be considered>> look at the secondary market demand for it>> the PE & SE both are high in demand when they go up for sale. I wish I had another back up unit for the two Spyderhawks I work with>> but I'm thankful for what I got. Truly they need another outdoor oriented fixed blade for the H-1 Salt Series and I got the perfect model.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD i already made the whalehawk what more could you need? If you send one to me i'll gladly grind it for you ;)

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I feel like I'd prefer the Spyderhawk be brought back (and modernized?), I'd even take it in VG-10 if I could get it with a 4th-gen scales/liners/clip etc like the new Matriarch 2. I think a delica-sized version would be great as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:I feel like I'd prefer the Spyderhawk be brought back (and modernized?), I'd even take it in VG-10 if I could get it with a 4th-gen scales/liners/clip etc like the new Matriarch 2. I think a delica-sized version would be great as well.
Actually I would like to see the Spyderhawk brought back in a new steel>> I don't care if it's a premium USA made or Japan made steel either one. We are currently overrun with S30V and VG-10 so to me it would make perfect sense to come up with a new blade steel and hopefully embark on a new generation of Hawkbills and specialty knives.

I'll be man and admit I was wrong about the Superhawk>> because it just makes good sense to go with a proven winner which the Spyderhawk has been proven to be so.

I've got another thread going on blade steels for Spyderedged blades and it will be interesting to see what contributions are made and what suggestions for SE blade steels are made to be considered as well.
Donut

Post by Donut »

It would be really nice to see a FFG Hawkbill for once.

It would be really nice to see FFG, Hawkbill, Endura 4 handle, partial liners, with either ZDP (PE) or VG-10 (SE). :P~~~
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:It would be really nice to see a FFG Hawkbill for once.

It would be really nice to see FFG, Hawkbill, Endura 4 handle, partial liners, with either ZDP (PE) or VG-10 (SE). :P~~~
Or how about M4 in SE or XHP in SE? Yeah I could also go with a Full Flat Grind Hawkbill. But I most certainly would like to see something new in SE. Now don't get me wrong because VG-10 is sort of my "go-to" blade steel and I use many of my VG-10 Spyders but I'm wanting to test something new for a change in SE.

I'm also wondering how 3V or 10V might fare with the Spyderedge?

The Spyderhawk does indeed have Endura handles>> There were some of the older VG-10 Spyderhawks with ENDURA on that handle scales>> they called it the Endura-Hawk. Maybe even BG-42 might be interesting in SE.