Any love for the Kiwi 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Re: Any love for the Kiwi 4?

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Like I said, cool looking and I do want one...just IMO the Kiwi was a Kiwi because of its looks/blade shape. If this was called something else and another variation of the kiwi released...I'd likely get both.
/
That being said...this new (not a) Kiwi, would benefit from 2mm stock and some SB.
On the hunt for...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

This is the thinnest bladed Spydie I have. I really appreciate it; I wouldn't previously have entertained the thought of an even thinner blade before, whereas I could now.

Perhaps more folk would have cried "too thin!" with a thinner blade rather than the number saying "too thick!" now?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

ChrisinHove wrote:This is the thinnest bladed Spydie I have. I really appreciate it; I wouldn't previously have entertained the thought of an even thinner blade before, whereas I could now.

Perhaps more folk would have cried "too thin!" with a thinner blade rather than the number saying "too thick!" now?
The Chaparral and Centofante are both 2mm stock (Thinner than 2.5mm), so it has been done already. I see the knife as being in the same ilk as the Chaparral, and I think 2mm stock would be awesome...I may have my Kiwi4 thinned out just to see if I enjoy it (I'm still undecided regarding this). And given the apex stability of SuperBlue, I think 1.5mm stock wouldn't be too far a cry from being practical, especially given the philosophy of use I see this knife being used for.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mine is kind of thick behind the edge. It is a factory second that had a bad grind and I think I am going to attempt to zero grind it.

Stay tuned. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Just ordered a Kiwi 4. Been on the fence for this one for a while. I had the Kiwi with stag slabs on the SS handle and loved the feel of it. But I just didn't care for the lack of a lock so I didn't carry it much. Personal thing. I'm really looking forward to carrying this knife. I loved the finger choils in the other Kiwi and I'm sure I'll like this knife's ergos as well. Never carried a wharncliffe blade knife as a primary knife. Never thought it was a good shape for EDC but I'll test that theory when I get the Kiwi. I like the thinner blade on a light duty EDC knife. Love the Chaparral's which have the same thickness. I'm sure I'll put lower edge angles on the knife making it a super slicer. And the pointy tip will make it a super poker also. :) A splinter picker some people call them.

I read this thread and it helped me decide to go ahead and get this knife. So one more purchase that the forum gets most of the credit for. :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Mine is kind of thick behind the edge. It is a factory second that had a bad grind and I think I am going to attempt to zero grind it.

Stay tuned. :)
Eager to hear how a zero grind works out if you do it. Without seeing one I'm thinking the edge will be weak but with a higher angle edge bevel (25 deg incl maybe) after a zero grind should make an excellent EDC laser slicer. :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I wasn't very interested in the Kiwi 4 until I held one at the SFO when I visited for the 2nds sale. Like Darby, I also picked one up at the sale, though mine seems to have a perfectly good grind and edge on it. It's quite a slicing machine and will add some variety to my EDC, as I don't have any other wharncliffe blades in constant rotation.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bearfacedkiller

I may have misspoken. The grind wasn't bad. The edge bevel was very bad. I reset it on a bench stone to around 25 degrees inclusive and then convexed it with some sandpaper working my way from 220 grit up through to 2500 grit and it came out nice. I'll get a pic up soon.

When I get the time (maybe never) I do want to thin out the primary grind quite a bit. As close to zero as I can get it.

I have enjoyed my Centofante4 for EDC duties and the hollow grind was my only complaint. The Kiwi4 just feels so great and so secure in the hand and it rides so slim and so light in the pocket plus it is ffg. It is a terrific EDC knife if you like wharncliffe blades.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Not a great photo. My camera died and I took this wit my phone but it should provide a comparison to the Centofante4. Hope it is of help to somebody.

-Darby
bearfacedkiller

Oops, double post. :o
-Darby
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I may have misspoken. The grind wasn't bad. The edge bevel was very bad. I reset it on a bench stone to around 25 degrees inclusive and then convexed it with some sandpaper working my way from 220 grit up through to 2500 grit and it came out nice. I'll get a pic up soon.

When I get the time (maybe never) I do want to thin out the primary grind quite a bit. As close to zero as I can get it.

I have enjoyed my Centofante4 for EDC duties and the hollow grind was my only complaint. The Kiwi4 just feels so great and so secure in the hand and it rides so slim and so light in the pocket plus it is ffg. It is a terrific EDC knife if you like wharncliffe blades.
I also had to attend to the bevel on mine. It was slightly corrugated, only for about a centimetre on one side and nothing the SM brown stones couldn't resolve in a dozen passes. The up-side is that it's now my sharpest knife...
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Lots of love from me--a great EDC. I also wouldn't mind it thinner overall (2mm blade would allow the frame to be smaller), and a lock is not necessary. I find that the lack of a lock feels streamlined and reminds me that these "petite" tools are aimed at simple chores, cutting only. With great respect to our clipless brethren, I find a clip mandatory most days.

I reckon there's opportunity for Spyderco to edge into William Henry territory with functional jewellery, but with better ergonomics and lower prices!

Chris
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Looks like a nice edc and with the slim blade it would also be nice for carving!
bearfacedkiller

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Got my Kiwi 4 in the mail today. I like it. I don't think the blade needs to be any thinner. It would be ok but another .5 mm thinner wouldn't make a whole lot of difference for me and the things I use a knife for. I like everything about it so far. Especially the thin handle and finger choils. I remember my slip joint Kiwi and how nice it felt. I may try to find one of those size models with the back lock someday. This knife came very sharp with nice even bevels. Very nice job. This will be the first wharncliffe knife I've used for EDC so I'm interested to see how I like it. I did open a couple of boxes today with it and the pointy tip was nice. If I like the wharncliffe shape a lot I may end up with an Bradley Air. Mainly for the M4. I love that steel. :)

I added oil and adjusted the pivot just a bit. When I release the lock the blade "glides" down to a 90 degree angle with the handle. It doesn't "fall". It sort of glides down. And the lock up is nice and solid with no blade play in either direction. Very nice knife I'm looking forward to using.

Jack
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yay!
bearfacedkiller

Congrats Jack, enjoy it!
-Darby
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Five day of EDC comments. I've decided I would not carry a wharncliffe blade knife as my EDC if I only carried one knife like I have done most of my life. I'll try to explain why. Let's say I were cutting coupons out of the news paper on a cutting board. The only part of the edge that would get used is the VERY tip. Like the first 1/16" or so. I'd hate this situation but it's not the whole story because I seldom use a knife for that type of work. But still, since I have carried the Kiwi 4 I've noticed more dramatically it seems how often I like to use the first 1/2" or 1" of the edge for several tasks. Back to a coupon situation or something similar I have no option to use anything other than JUST the tip. With a pocket knife blade with at least a little belly I could lower the handle and have the use of more edge area. The only using the tip situation reminded me of the utility (sheetrock) knife blades that come with a way to break off about 1/4" to expose a new, sharp tip. I won't go on and on because that is the only thing I have against a wharncliffe blade.

Do you know what I'd really like? I'd really like (I think) is the Kiwi 4 handle shape (finger choils) with a blade with some belly. I have even considered rounding the tip of mine a little to give it just a little belly. The problem would be the tip would be exposed when the knife were closed if I removed more steel than just a little bit. I could grind the "kick" down so the blade closes farther but I don't know how much farther it can close before some portion of the edge hits the inside of the handle (lock bar, spring, etc.). It may be doable though because it's only a little bit of curvature that I'm looking for. Maybe I've just gotten used to Spyderco's standard amount of curvature or belly. Too much belly also is bad for my needs or desires. The Manbug has a bit more dramatic belly than I like. In fact when I reprofiled each of my Manbugs I removed more steel than necessary where the belly is more dramatic. Not much but a little. I didn't want to go crazy because I'd end up with a Manbug wharncliffe. :)

Just a couple of comments from a new wharncliffe blade user. GO LEAF SHAPE. :)

Jack
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

jackknifeh wrote:Five day of EDC comments. I've decided I would not carry a wharncliffe blade knife as my EDC if I only carried one knife like I have done most of my life. I'll try to explain why. Let's say I were cutting coupons out of the news paper on a cutting board. The only part of the edge that would get used is the VERY tip. Like the first 1/16" or so. I'd hate this situation but it's not the whole story because I seldom use a knife for that type of work. But still, since I have carried the Kiwi 4 I've noticed more dramatically it seems how often I like to use the first 1/2" or 1" of the edge for several tasks. Back to a coupon situation or something similar I have no option to use anything other than JUST the tip. With a pocket knife blade with at least a little belly I could lower the handle and have the use of more edge area. The only using the tip situation reminded me of the utility (sheetrock) knife blades that come with a way to break off about 1/4" to expose a new, sharp tip. I won't go on and on because that is the only thing I have against a wharncliffe blade.

Do you know what I'd really like? I'd really like (I think) is the Kiwi 4 handle shape (finger choils) with a blade with some belly. I have even considered rounding the tip of mine a little to give it just a little belly. The problem would be the tip would be exposed when the knife were closed if I removed more steel than just a little bit. I could grind the "kick" down so the blade closes farther but I don't know how much farther it can close before some portion of the edge hits the inside of the handle (lock bar, spring, etc.). It may be doable though because it's only a little bit of curvature that I'm looking for. Maybe I've just gotten used to Spyderco's standard amount of curvature or belly. Too much belly also is bad for my needs or desires. The Manbug has a bit more dramatic belly than I like. In fact when I reprofiled each of my Manbugs I removed more steel than necessary where the belly is more dramatic. Not much but a little. I didn't want to go crazy because I'd end up with a Manbug wharncliffe. :)

Jack
I like my Kiwi4, but I do tend to carry it as a secondary to one of my more primary carry options. I'd like to chime in here with an alternative for you. After reading your post, one thought jumped prominently into my mind repeatedly.

Chokwe...sounds like you need one. Bit of belly near the tip so that you can use parts of it other than the very tip, but also have that option, and also have a lot of great straight edge to use for other tasks. That and it's made with typical Taichung quality, is still available at great prices, and the handle is easily one of the most comfortable I've ever held, despite its non-standard appearance.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

3rdGenRigger wrote:
jackknifeh wrote:Five day of EDC comments. I've decided I would not carry a wharncliffe blade knife as my EDC if I only carried one knife like I have done most of my life. I'll try to explain why. Let's say I were cutting coupons out of the news paper on a cutting board. The only part of the edge that would get used is the VERY tip. Like the first 1/16" or so. I'd hate this situation but it's not the whole story because I seldom use a knife for that type of work. But still, since I have carried the Kiwi 4 I've noticed more dramatically it seems how often I like to use the first 1/2" or 1" of the edge for several tasks. Back to a coupon situation or something similar I have no option to use anything other than JUST the tip. With a pocket knife blade with at least a little belly I could lower the handle and have the use of more edge area. The only using the tip situation reminded me of the utility (sheetrock) knife blades that come with a way to break off about 1/4" to expose a new, sharp tip. I won't go on and on because that is the only thing I have against a wharncliffe blade.

Jack
I like my Kiwi4, but I do tend to carry it as a secondary to one of my more primary carry options. I'd like to chime in here with an alternative for you. After reading your post, one thought jumped prominently into my mind repeatedly.

Chokwe...sounds like you need one. Bit of belly near the tip so that you can use parts of it other than the very tip, but also have that option, and also have a lot of great straight edge to use for other tasks. That and it's made with typical Taichung quality, is still available at great prices, and the handle is easily one of the most comfortable I've ever held, despite its non-standard appearance.

The Chokwe would satisfy my issue with the wharncliffe blade. In fact I really like the edge shape. Never looked at hard or considered this knife before. Possibly because of it's "different" look. But a "different" look could apply to most Spyderco knives. Compared to the traditional style I was used to growing up. Searched a couple of my favorite sites (CS & Howes) and not there. The model is discontinued on Spyderco's site. I'll keep my eye out for one. Not shopping for knives right now but I've got it on the list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jack