Sharpmaker problem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HarleyXJGuy

Sharpmaker problem

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

So I got my Sharpmaker and with a lot of advice from you all knives are being made super sharp left and right.

There is a problem though.

The word got out about the goodness that is Sharpmaker and now everyone and there aunt is coming to me to have there knives sharpened.

You guys have this happen too?
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Surfingringo

Re: Sharpmaker problem

Post by Surfingringo »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:So I got my Sharpmaker and with a lot of advice from you all knives are being made super sharp left and right.

The word got out about the goodness that is Sharpmaker and now everyone and there aunt is coming to me to have there knives sharpened.

Yup. Just consider it a good chance to practice for now. Eventually you are going to have to learn to set some boundries...probably when folks start bringing you a whole block of dull kitchen knives. Don't laugh, it is going to happen. :rolleyes:
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Yeah one guy brought me some kinda Rambo knife. I do not think it was ever sharp, just a hunk of steel with no bevel at all.

I am enjoying all the practice I can get on there stuff before I mess with the Para 2 Sprint I got from Xcept. Not that it needs sharpening yet.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Yeah one guy brought me some kinda Rambo knife. I do not think it was ever sharp, just a hunk of steel with no bevel at all.

I am enjoying all the practice I can get on there stuff before I mess with the Para 2 Sprint I got from Xcept. Not that it needs sharpening yet.
Yeah!! been there, done that. You really need to use a coarse or extra coarse diamond benchstone to grind in the proper relief so you can put an edge on that Rambo blade>> that is if it even has any decent steel in it at all :rolleyes:

It amazes me how many people want me to sharpen every kind of blade they might have. But I pretty much put an end to most of it by telling them that I need at least 10 bucks for every sharpening job>> and believe me that will cut out 90% of the folks who really want you to sharpen a blade for them.

I hope you got the complete set of stones i.e. diamond 204 stones, ultra-fine 204 stones along with the fine & medium that come with the kit. You won't do the kit justice until you have a complete set of stones to go with it. I love all my Spyderco sharpening tools>> they are all great,
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The SharpMaker is awesome. I really like it. Took a new Southard to it, and there's a big difference between factory and where the SM will take you.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:The SharpMaker is awesome. I really like it. Took a new Southard to it, and there's a big difference between factory and where the SM will take you.
And that's really true with Spyderedges>> that's why I use the 701 Profile stones for Spyderedges. The 701 Profile stones keep a Spyderedge very close to what the factory does. The Sharpmaker tends to round off and somewhat deform the original factory edge whereas the 701 Profiles will fit most scallops and the corners will fit just about every spike section out there.

To me the 204 Sharpmaker is the best overall touch up/tune up tool for plain edges that you can buy in a kit IMO.

Now don't completely misunderstand me because the Sharpmaker will get Spyderedges cutting great. But it will deform the edge from what you got at the factory>> that's been my experience over the years.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Hey Harley, my only advice to you is to put a jar on your desk and charge $1 for every knife you sharpen, when the jar is full buy yourself a new knife :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The biggest problem is that most people do not know the difference between sharpening a knife and repairing a knife. I don't mind sharpening peoples knives but too often people want to bring me a knife that is beyond what the sharp maker is really designed to do and that falls more into the repair category than the sharpen category.

I just tell them that it is in rough shape and I will get to it eventually but that it is gonna take a while and I will fix it when I can.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
stevekolt

Post by stevekolt »

Surfingringo wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:So I got my Sharpmaker and with a lot of advice from you all knives are being made super sharp left and right.

Yup. Just consider it a good chance to practice for now. Eventually you are going to have to learn to set some boundries...probably when folks start bringing you a whole block of dull kitchen knives. Don't laugh, it is going to happen. :rolleyes:
Don't set boundaries...set prices :D