GITD Liner Filler

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
colu41

GITD Liner Filler

Post by colu41 »

So I ended up winning an auction for a pair of glow in the dark scales. I'm going to try them on my Persistence first, then go from there. But I will have enough to do something Id like to do to my DLC Manix 2. Pictured here:
Now are these just press fit in? Or are the epoxied in somehow? I'd rather not epoxy that to where I wouldn't be able to take it out but I'm afraid if I press fit it on the Manix, could it pop the lanyard loop since those are also only press fit? Any suggestions would be great.
Sorry the pic is not mine, found it on Google, and it is not a Manix.... :rolleyes:
jabba359

Re: GITD Liner Filler

Post by jabba359 »

I'd think it would work best to drill holes in the back spacer where the standoffs are, so the standoffs would hold it in place.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
colu41

Post by colu41 »

jabba359 wrote:I'd think it would work best to drill holes in the back spacer where the standoffs are, so the standoffs would hold it in place.
Not sure what you mean by standoffs? I'm a little new to knife (modification), but am very eager to learn.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've never seen a "universal" set for something like this...seems to me they're cut to fit a particular knife and only that model.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

colu41 wrote:
jabba359 wrote:I'd think it would work best to drill holes in the back spacer where the standoffs are, so the standoffs would hold it in place.
Not sure what you mean by standoffs? I'm a little new to knife (modification), but am very eager to learn.
Usually on a knife like this there are little metal "pillars" that are between the scales and the screws on the scales screw into these "pillars", which are called standoffs.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey colu,
Congrats for winning that contest!
Standoffs refer to the round barrel shaped spacers that separate the liners along the back of some knives.
Depending on the knife, these can be threaded or simply hollow. The screws on each side of the scales either thread into the spacers, or pass through and thread into the opposite liner.
Drilling holes in your gitd material in line with the standoffs, will allow you to place the back spacer over them, and between the liners.
Reassembly of the knife will hold your gitd backspacer in place.
Just make sure the inside profile of your new backspacer allows for clearance of your blade in the closed position.
Hope that was understandable.
Good luck with your project!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
colu41

Post by colu41 »

Ok. I got it! You guys are awesome. And yes I realize each knife will be different but was just curious as how they were held in, and I completely see how that can be done. Can't wait to get those scales in and try it out.