First Modifications Questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
colu41

First Modifications Questions

Post by colu41 »

Ok. I've been reading a lot of things and watching a lot of videos but I need a little bit of info.
I'm going to start out with my Persistence as its a cheaper knife, and is just a good knife to start toying with. lol
I want to try the Wave mod. But my question is, will a dremel be enough to cut that steel? I'm good with a dremel so if this will work I will definitely give it a try...

Also, specifically for the Persistence. It has torx bit heads on both sides of the knife. Do I need 2 tools to get the scales off? Or am I missing something. My D4, Manix2, & XL I've figured out myself.
Any tips would be great. I love DIYs and this would be a cool project. Also put in a bid on some G10 to try out some scales.
GoldenSpydie

Re: First Modifications Questions

Post by GoldenSpydie »

A dremel will cut 8cr13mov just fine. You may want to try the zip-tie trick first to make sure that you like the wave.

As for removing the scales, no, you only need one torx tool. However, sometimes Spyderco can use a little too much loctite and then you may need to put one torx bit in a vise, put the knife down on it, and unscrew the screw from the other side to prevent endless spinning. (not sure if that made sense, but I hope it did)

For making G10 scales, be sure to wear a respirator and get rid of the dust when you're done. Nasty stuff, that G10 dust. If you're serious about knife modding, you may want to get a 1x30 belt sander. They are fairly cheap and will greatly increase the quality and ease of your modding.

Good luck! :)
colu41

Post by colu41 »

GoldenSpydie wrote:A dremel will cut 8cr13mov just fine. You may want to try the zip-tie trick first to make sure that you like the wave.

As for removing the scales, no, you only need one torx tool. However, sometimes Spyderco can use a little too much loctite and then you may need to put one torx bit in a vise, put the knife down on it, and unscrew the screw from the other side to prevent endless spinning. (not sure if that made sense, but I hope it did)

For making G10 scales, be sure to wear a respirator and get rid of the dust when you're done. Nasty stuff, that G10 dust. If you're serious about knife modding, you may want to get a 1x30 belt sander. They are fairly cheap and will greatly increase the quality and ease of your modding.

Good luck! :)
Yes, I do understand what you mean about the torx. I will try that later.

And yes, I also researched G10 scale making and that fiberglass dust can be pretty bad. And also, I was just looking up belt sanders at work for prices. I hope to find one soon for a decent price because next summer I want to take a try at making my first knife.

Thanks a lot for the info!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I used my Dremel to cut my Manbug with ZDP-189 blade spine to the shape of the Jester spine. The Dremel did just fine. I don't remember if I used diamond or the tungsten carbide accessories. I just made sure not to get the blade too hot. I used a lube, kept the speed lower and only cut in short time lengths. Anyway, you won't have any trouble with 8cr13mov I don't think.

Here's a picture of my G-10 Manbug after I put red bone scales and the ZDP blade on it. I now call it the "ManJester" because of the blade shape. :) The Manbug starts out with a straight spine.

Jack
colu41

Post by colu41 »

Thats awesome Jack! I can't wait to start on this tomorrow. I get my G10 next week hopefully so, I'll have a go at that too.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

1. Tape the edge up with masking tape so you don't cut yourself and the blade so number 3 doesn't happen.
2. Cool the blade often in ice water.
3. Hold on the the dremel tool tight. The first time I did this the bit skidded down the blade and made what is refered to as a "stupid mark"
4. Post pics when done
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”