Warped G-10 scales on Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dalerich

Warped G-10 scales on Military?

Post by dalerich »

Hello Spyderco,

I have sent customer service a C36 plain edge Military with a problem that I cannot figure out. The G-10 scales are not parallel with the blade in the pivot area. If I have measured correctly, the thickness of the blade (with the washers) and the spacer is about 0.160". Viewing the knife edge on at the pivot end I can see a visible gap between the blade and the G-10 on the side that the blade pivots from and measurements with a caliper verify that this side measures 0.180" and the other side 0.160". If I tighten the pivot screw the gap can be reduced but then the knife will not close. You should receive the knife by Friday and I am curious as to what your inspection will find. The blade locks up rock solid and there was never any question to its safety. Now that I have two Militaries I thought you would like to evaluate this. The picture that I sent in the package will help clarify my rambling.

On a side note, I was on Alabama the past month on vacation and had a opportunity to look a about 6 Militaries (I bought one of the 6) and noticed that the blade did not line up in the center of the scales on the other 5 knives. They were so bad that 2 of the blades rubbed on the scales. They were packaged in the hangable blister packages. I own 42 Spydies and this is the first I have noted of any problems. You might want to do a check on your current production.

I am not complaining, justy thought you may be able to head off potential problems.

By the way, I am a tool&die maker so I look at these details a little closer that the average consumer.

Thanks for a GREAT product line.
sal

Post by sal »

Dalerich - Thanx for the info, kind words and support. We've got a good crew and they try hard. I'll look into the Military blade line-up.

BTW, parallel is not always best. sometimes a tweaking here or there of 2 or 3 thou makes for a better action. We will at times engineer those "tweaks" into the design. Vin is good at tweaking. Our new compression lock demonstrates what a designed "bend" can do. I'm sure you've seen it in other fields, automotive is a good example.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

double post - twitchy trigger finger, I guess. sorry.

Edited by - sal on 7/20/00 8:50:48 PM
zanghue
Banned

Re: Warped G-10 scales on Military?

Post by zanghue »

Since I usually take pics of my knives once I get them, these are older.
Omar
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

A Military in a"hanging blister pack"??? Pics or it didn't happen!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

enduraguy wrote:A Military in a"hanging blister pack"??? Pics or it didn't happen!
I don't have one packed that way, so I can't help with pics. However, I do know that US Military PX's and some "big box" civilian sporting goods dealers who order direct from Spyderco can get at least some models in blister packs for self service displays. So it's possible that the Military was among the models available that way 14 years ago when this thread started and it's even possible they're still available that way today. The OP is one of the few "charter members" here who's still active, so perhaps he'll get a kick out of seeing this thread, which appears to have been his first post here, resurrected and chime in.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Thread Posted Date: 20 Jul 2000 01:00
Joined Date: 24 Sep 2004 11:33

How does that work?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

There was a forum software change in 2004 that reset everyone's join date.